Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:01 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Kind of an absurd and aleatoric response but maybe it could mean you need watch your sugar and try some diet coke.

Since when has the president of the USA ever been a climatologist?
Absurdity? I say fight fire with fire.

The prez point meant to illustrate the fact even Mr. Bush, a friend of oil if ever there was one, is admitting that climate change (a newer politically less embarrassing term that still means the same thing) is an actuality and that he thinks we might want to do something about it - just in case humans can in fact contribute to the effect.

So let's pose you a different question regarding human capacity: can humans cause global cooling?

Old 01-14-2008, 06:14 PM

914 posts, read 2,917,850 times
That Stephen Shwartz did, or whatever his name is. the guy who dreamed up the global warming theory was actually running around in the '70's trying to convince everyone that the earth was getting dangerously colder! this is a fact, and not made up, although the comic irony is too obvious to ignore. If the world was getting colder in the 70's, when the old rust-belt industries were still in full swing, why would it suddenly grow warmer after technology had changed and we, as a nation, had grown away from the old smokestack factories, which were such big polluters? Not only that, but since the 70's, there has been a concerted effort to cut back on fossil fuel consumption for various reasons, and many safeguards have been put into place to help curb air pollution, especially in the more progressive states. And I don't think that other factors, like human and animal population has been taken into account for contributions to change. As these populations continue to increase, so does consumption of all kinds, and the accompanying waste by-products. As developing nations grow economically, so does their population and their increased demands on the world's food and energy supplies. Modernization comes with a price, and usually that means a lot more personal transportation use, and more infrastructure being built (asphalt, blacktop,concrete,etc.) This contributes greatly to the "urban heat island" effect, which some believe has more to do with climate change than is currently being promoted.

Last edited by looking4home; 01-14-2008 at 06:27 PM..

Old 01-14-2008, 06:29 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,962,441 times
Thumbs up 5 Top Envionmental Concerns

Bryfry is on to something here I think! I have long advocated that if you can't recycle it then you should not make it. Thus, Totally Doing Away with Land Fills! Land Fills are one of the most detrimental sources of pollution today. The inability to Recycle what we Dispose of is on my list of The 5 Top Environmental Concerns!

Every day these Land Fills Dump Giga Tons of hazardous waste and other pollutants into our Fresh Water Supply. Land Fills also release significant Pollutants into our troposphere and Top Soil!

However, as far as Carbon Emission, that is a mute point, as I realize the Politicians did get the Supreme Court to list Co2 now as a pollutant but so did the court elect George Bush. Kind of a double Edge sword! That is what happens when you allow politicians to make up their own science! Co2, is not a pollutant and that is what this whole Global Warming Hysteria is about. Co2 Emissions. It is like these hucksters never took Junior High Science where they learn about the Carbon and Nitrogen Cycles! Rather these hucksters help perpetuate this Carbon Foot Print Diversion at the expense of significant environmental concerns such as Land Fills. Perfect example! When was the last time you heard Michael Moore or Al Gore say anything about the damage Land Fills do to our environment! Zero! And the reason you never heard them say anything about Land Fills, Road Run Off or Animal Extinction anywhere near the hysterical volume they shove down our throat is because there is no money or power in it for them, as their Carbon Foot print Scam is pure Snake Oil.

As far as running cars on ethanol, well there is something I really have not researched but I do believe we must stop spilling American Blood in the middle east and get to a point where we as a nation get all of our oil from our country and other friendly nations like Canada, north sea, and so on. We also need to open up Prudhoe North Alaskan Coast for Maximum Oil Production. Discovered in 1968, the oil fields at Prudhoe Bay are the largest in North America and would help make our country totally independent of Middle Eastern Oil! Fossil Fuels still are the most cost effective and environmentally safe type of energy that out nation uses today.

Last edited by CometVoyager; 01-14-2008 at 06:59 PM..

Old 01-16-2008, 11:47 AM

32 posts, read 121,392 times
Quote:
The Earth has been warming for the past 6000+ years and not because of anthropogenic (Human) factors. It is so insignificant how anthropogenic carbon emissions affect the temperature of the troposphere, as it would be as significant as one gold fish farting in the Pacific Ocean.

The only thing Green about this Global Warming Mania is the Green Cash$$ that Al Gore is depositing in his bank accounts and all the other perks he has profited from fools the likes of Forest Gump followers! Or rather the Jim Jones Kool Aide Crowd.

Because of this global Warming diversion major environmental disasters are being ignored like world wide fishing practices, ocean trawling with nets the size of 2 football fields. Do you ever wonder why the price of fish is so high? It is because they will soon be totally extinct because of human greed. Not to mention how many animals are on the verge of extinction and our treatment of primates and other species. We are now 6 billion people on Earth and Lions and Tigers total less than 5 thousand.

These Going Green Eco Wackos are the problem. They are so obsessed with this Jim Jones Kool Aide Global Warming Diversion they lose sight of true environmental concerns like our Fresh Water supply. Have these Tree Huggers ever thought about how Road Salting during the winter is ruining our Fresh Water Supply in New Hampshire? Road salt also contains an anti caking compound called Sodium Ferrocyanide and when this is exposed to sunlight, (photolysis) it breaks down into cyanide and destroys all plant and animal life it has contact with. And by the say this is the water that gets into your wells!

So please when you see anything about this Global Warming Scam, just ignore it and stop feeding the mania, as it is only a Diversion that will soon enable a select few rich elite politicians and government junkies to raise your taxes and have the power to impose many more controls and restrictions on your lives!

AMEN to that!

The owner of the weather channel, who is a really big liberal said that global warming is a hoax. It is. The middle ages even expirienced a warming trend, then it got cold again, AKA the little ice age.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:55 PM

Default Will New Hampshire pay a Global Warming Tax?

Would rather this Global Warming mania just drift off somewhere before we in New Hampshire wind up with more taxes!

I would rather our New Hampshire Law Makers help raise funds to close all land fills, as they pollute our fresh water supply, and require anything made or purchased in New Hampshire have a recycling avenue as well!

Old 01-17-2008, 02:27 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
You know, I'm not at all for added fees, etc BUT I will say that MA has the right idea with charging a deposit on soda bottles, and ME brings it a step further with having a deposit on additional bottles, including water bottles. As much as I believe in Live Free or Die, I believe in recycling as well, and if people are FORCED to recycle to get those deposits back, well that's not so bad. After all, it's not like having a tax--all we have to do is return the bottle to get the coinage back...

I can tell you that the amount of trash my household generates is WAY less than our neighbors. All of my milk jugs, cans, bottles, yogurt containers, etc are sorted and recycled, and about 90% of my paper as well. The security issues (junk mail w/ my name & address, bar codes, etc is fire-starting material for the wood stove

This from the maine.gov website:
A U.S. EPA study shows that the ten bottle bill states recycle more tons of containers then the other 40 states combined!

Originally, Maine's bottle bill only covered beer and soft drink containers, but in 1989 it was expanded to include wine, liquor, water and non-alcoholic carbonated or non-carbonated drink containers. Most of these containers are redeemable for five cents, but liquor and wine bottles have a redemtion value of fifteen cents.

Quote:
I would rather our New Hampshire Law Makers help raise funds to close all land fills, as they pollute our fresh water supply, and require anything made or purchased in New Hampshire have a recycling avenue as well!

Old 01-17-2008, 05:50 PM

[quote=Valerie C;2543666]You know, I'm not at all for added fees, etc BUT I will say that MA has the right idea with charging a deposit on soda bottles, and ME brings it a step further with having a deposit on additional bottles, including water bottles. As much as I believe in Live Free or Die, I believe in recycling as well, and if people are FORCED to recycle to get those deposits back, well that's not so bad. After all, it's not like having a tax--all we have to do is return the bottle to get the coinage back...

I am right there with you Valerie C! I hate any kind of new taxes, (assessments or fees which as far as I am concerned is another name for taxes) and even though I most always disagree with European Domestic Policy, I do agree that if you manufacture it and make a profit on it then it is your responsibility to make certain it can be recycled and is Earth Friendly. If the New Hampshire EPA would adopt this policy we could close and clean up no less than 90% of all active Landfills! And Landfills, I think are one of the most hazardous human activities that affect our environment because of the run off of hazardous chemicals, pathogens, carcinogens as well as air born parasites which are most prevalent during warmer months.

BY the way, how is the RE market going?? Hope it is picking up!

Old 01-18-2008, 04:04 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
You all realize that most times it takes more energy resources to recycle a product than to create from nothing right?

It's true. No really, it is.

Metal is about the only thing worth recycling from an "ROI" standpoint.

I'm a hardcore conservationist, which is why I look at things like this rather than make an emotional (I.E. Enviromentalist) decision before checking facts.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:40 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
You all realize that most times it takes more energy resources to recycle a product than to create from nothing right?

I'm a hardcore conservationist, which is why I look at things like this rather than make an emotional (I.E. Enviromentalist) decision before checking facts.
I can't believe that's the majority case. Please cite your source.

PS. It's better to work on your cause than labels.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:47 PM

51 posts, read 170,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

That is only true for some plastics and materials. That is why there is only a deposit on some plastic bottles and not all bottles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire