Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:06 PM

39 posts, read 150,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
VM - That's pretty much what my friend in York says - she moved there from Jersey quite a few years ago to get away from a lot of the crime and now it seems to have moved to her and evidently a lot of businesses have been closing over the last couple of years. She's not talking about leaving yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear she's moving at some point.

I went to a wedding in Reading many, many years ago - it was a small affair and the "entertainment" for the reception was an 80-year-old lady who played the saw!
LOL! That's classic! I can safely say I now have no reason to go to Reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 07:37 PM

213 posts, read 507,762 times
[quote=DareToDream;4994896]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosrto View Post

usually the *** mean you've typed something off-color or offensive...let's see if I can type computer and have it show up......

Looks like it worked for me - maybe the censor feature is having a problem?
I sent myself an e-mail it worked there--oh well lets see {com****r}

Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 PM

213 posts, read 507,762 times
[quote=mosrto;4995532]
Quote:
I sent myself an e-mail it worked there--oh well lets see {com****r}
I dont know what the prob. is

Old 08-25-2008, 08:35 PM

120 posts, read 785,778 times
Smile Addicted? Yep, I guess so!

Quote:
LACarole - So....are you saying you're also addicted to the forum?????

My husband was retired from IBM (well, kinda forced into retirement, as his job was off-shored) when we moved and our kids were grown with families of their own. He went from being an IBM-er for 26 years to being a furniture maker now and really enjoys working with his hands. Good luck to your daughter for Dartmouth!
Dare, I do believe I am addicted! It's funny, because I don't really have any friends where we live - I'm really busy with homeschooling my daughter Carron, cleaning, driving, doing all the SAH mom stuff, etc. I have acquaintances in our neighborhood and Carron's friends mom's, and people from my husbands job that I know, but on here, I just feel like I have friends again. Does that sound strange? It's just that I'm one of those people who believe that I was put on this earth to be the best mom I can be, and I take that very seriously. Not saying my girls are spoiled, but I do spend a lot of time with them and the 4 of us as a family, so I've kind of let my social life get pushed to the back burner so to speak. Anyways, it kind of recharges me to get on here and chat and visit with people who have the same kind of hobbies, love their pets, etc. and love NH like I do and then know that they aren't going to stop by every 15 minutes to hang out in my kitchen while I try to cook dinner or help with homework. Not that I wouldn't like that if I really liked the person, but in my case it's usually neighbors I barely know, so it is kind of weird! It makes me feel like I have someone to talk to other than my mom or sisters again and I love it! So yes, it does sound as though an addiction has occurred!!!

My hubby Jerry really loves doing woodwork and making yard signs and small furniture pieces - he's made me a blanket chest - but he also hopes to be able to have a barn or garage that he can buy an old car and rebuild it in. He's just counting down the days until he can retire.

My daughter is so funny - her kindergarten teacher's son (who I went to high school with) went to Dartsmouth, and Carron really thinks a lot of her K teacher, so she decided years ago that she was going to go to Dartmouth, too. I think she may have to go to LSU for a year until we can get moved and then try to get into the NH university system until we can figure out about tuition and out of state vs. in state fees. But at least she'll be in NH one way or another.

Well, thanks for being so sweet all the time! Oh, yeah! I got a second green bar! WOO HOO!

Old 08-26-2008, 05:29 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LACarole View Post
Dare, I do believe I am addicted! It's funny, because I don't really have any friends where we live - I'm really busy with homeschooling my daughter Carron, cleaning, driving, doing all the SAH mom stuff, etc. I have acquaintances in our neighborhood and Carron's friends mom's, and people from my husbands job that I know, but on here, I just feel like I have friends again. Does that sound strange? It's just that I'm one of those people who believe that I was put on this earth to be the best mom I can be, and I take that very seriously. Not saying my girls are spoiled, but I do spend a lot of time with them and the 4 of us as a family, so I've kind of let my social life get pushed to the back burner so to speak. Anyways, it kind of recharges me to get on here and chat and visit with people who have the same kind of hobbies, love their pets, etc. and love NH like I do and then know that they aren't going to stop by every 15 minutes to hang out in my kitchen while I try to cook dinner or help with homework. Not that I wouldn't like that if I really liked the person, but in my case it's usually neighbors I barely know, so it is kind of weird! It makes me feel like I have someone to talk to other than my mom or sisters again and I love it! So yes, it does sound as though an addiction has occurred!!!

My hubby Jerry really loves doing woodwork and making yard signs and small furniture pieces - he's made me a blanket chest - but he also hopes to be able to have a barn or garage that he can buy an old car and rebuild it in. He's just counting down the days until he can retire.

My daughter is so funny - her kindergarten teacher's son (who I went to high school with) went to Dartsmouth, and Carron really thinks a lot of her K teacher, so she decided years ago that she was going to go to Dartmouth, too. I think she may have to go to LSU for a year until we can get moved and then try to get into the NH university system until we can figure out about tuition and out of state vs. in state fees. But at least she'll be in NH one way or another.

Well, thanks for being so sweet all the time! Oh, yeah! I got a second green bar! WOO HOO!
LACarole - Makes sense to me! I work from home and most of our friends are people my husband has met through either work or his music. When I lived in NY, I had the same "problem" you spoke of - people who would show up whenever they felt like it because, after all, I was home and not really doing anything I try to take 2 days off a week (Friday and Saturday) and my husband and I usually spend those two days together, which we both enjoy.

Usually the winter months are my busiest. For some reason, this year has been busy all year - especially this summer, so I've been working extra, which is nice for the checkbook but it definitely put a crimp in my plans to expand my horizons up here, but that's okay, too. That will come with time. The forum gives me the chance to interact with other people when I take a break from work and fills any "social void" there may be....and it's a lot better than dealing with office politics in a work environment!

My husband started doing woodworking when he was in high school. He was also on track for a football scholarship to college when he had a "football career ending injury" his senior year. He went to the community college and then off to Nam - he enlisted rather than waiting for his draft number to be called. When he returned from Nam, he had his own business as a carpet installer, then went with IBM and has now returned to his "first love" - working with wood. He works four 10-hour days, Monday-Thursday, then has Friday, Saturday and Sunday off. Friday and Saturday are "our days", Sunday he has a couple of guys over and they play music together - soon, they should be ready to approach local places and make some extra $$ with their music

Soooo, to get back to my original point - I totally understand what you were saying (I tend to ramble when I get on a roll, sorry 'bout that).....

As for being sweet - thank you, but I'm not sure my husband would agree with the "all the time" Congratulations on your 2nd green bar! If we could all stay out of rep jail, you'd have more than that by now!

Old 08-26-2008, 02:14 PM

120 posts, read 1,171,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Exit 82

Hubby was around Exit 163
My husband was from exit 80. Well now i think it is 77. I was from exit 136. I spent all my summers on LBI. moved down there full time when I met my husband. I do miss it so much.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:48 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith77 View Post
My husband was from exit 80. Well now i think it is 77. I was from exit 136. I spent all my summers on LBI. moved down there full time when I met my husband. I do miss it so much.
I miss it too- I really miss how it used to be when I was growing up.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:18 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,302,661 times
Talking you got alot of responces

WOW, dare. you better have new ink in your printer cause you have alot of pages to print out.....lol....

Old 08-26-2008, 04:52 PM

122 posts, read 313,253 times
I don't remember how I found this forum, but I have been on an internet hunt for the past 8 months, finding out what I can about New Hampshire, and I am sure I got a link for City-Data along the line.
I was born in Worcester, Mass., then lived up until my early teen years in Harwich, on the Cape. My family moved to Ft. Laud., I met my husband, we moved to Miami when he got his first teaching job, and we have lived here ever since.
We will be moving to New England next summer, God and the real estate market willing. My daughter and her husband and their baby live in western Mass. We will probably move there first to help them out, as their baby has major and multiple medical issues and our daughter has two years left to finish on a doctoral program. Our son and his family (they live close to us in Miami) want to move to New Hampshire next summer, and kind of hold down the fort until the rest of all of us can move there. They are doing that solely to be within a close proximity to the rest of us. Within a couple of years, we will all be living in New Hampshire, right now it looks like the Keene area is our choice. Family is super important to all of us. Our two granddaughters are paramount in our lives, as well as our children.
I did try going on the City-Data Massachusetts site, since it looks like my husband and I will be starting there before moving to NH in a couple of years, but I didn't get the same feel from that site as I do from here. There was a brashness that was not what I was looking for. So I really appreciate the different vibe that the NH forum offers. Even though I don't post often, I do read lots of the posts, and appreciate the different personalities and kindness that is constantly shown.
Sorry this is so long, but I don't know how to write short, and the older you get, the longer your story is.
Nancie

Old 08-26-2008, 06:30 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
WOW, dare. you better have new ink in your printer cause you have alot of pages to print out.....lol....
Nope, don't have to print it cuz it's all right here in the thread - If I get confused as to who is where all I gotta do is find the thread again...of course if I forget the title of the thread and it gets buried, then I might have a problem again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire