Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 12:06 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,933,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
We certainly do when a state-funded institution is charged with implementing the racist policies.
There are scholarships for people of specific ethnic backgrounds and you are not mentioning those. The private donors may want it to go to someone with an Italian background for example. They have always had that right.
This is NOT your money in this instance anyway. If it was state or federal at least you would have some point.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:10 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,688,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
There are scholarships for people of specific ethnic backgrounds and you are not mentioning those. The private donors may want it to go to someone with an Italian background for example. They have always had that right.
This is NOT your money in this instance anyway. If it was state or federal at least you would have some point.

But dont the states also support many of these colleges and universities? That makes it tax payer funded (at least in part) and that means they have to follow discrimination laws.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:11 PM

Look, I was not an Obama supporter. This is not a party thing anyway.

I have known many poor white boys (o.k. maybe not poor just working class) and they do very very well for themselves. Outside of the northeast and California- they actually own homes and take vacations. That is w/o a college education. In the expensive parts of the US you need to have secondary education. I get it -but the white male thing still works like gangbusters in some places.

Even if you think it has gone too far now- You painting yourself in the victim corner is just a little much.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:12 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,637,277 times
Quote:
In all seriousness, I would be curious to see another state university scholarship program (whether funded from a private donation or not) that is limited to Italian-Americans. If you know of one, please let me know.

For the record, I have no problem with the NAACP having it's own private scholarship that it gives to whomever it wants (although I would still consider it a private racist organization if it disqualified applicants on the basis of race). My problem is with using the arm of the state (via the public university) to provide benefits to certain racial groups of people.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I get it but the white male thing still works like gangbusters in some places.
What exactly is the "white male thing" and what the heck are you talking about it "works like gangbusters"?

I never argued that every needs a college education, but my point is that we're talking about scholarship money here, so it's relevant who we're trying to educate and who needs "special" help.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:15 PM

Again- this is NOT your money.
It is private money and yes there are folks (not state governments but individuals) who have set up funds for very specific groups like Italian decenters.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Again- this is NOT your money.
It is private money and yes there are folks (not state governments but individuals) who have set up funds for very specific groups like Italian decenters.
And are those race-based scholarships administered by state-funded institutions? That's my question.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:18 PM

There are young white males in this country (under 30) who live quite well w/o college degrees. That is what I meant.
Have you spent time outside of the bubble you live in?
Look at the way people live. Spend some time in your country.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:19 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,683,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldwick04 View Post
Montclair State University receives anonymous $5 million donation - NJ.com

Does that not seem a bit racist? What if someone donated scholarships for everyone except black males? or Hispanic females?

That was the de facto situation in America for about 400 years.........

Old 04-16-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
There are young white males in this country (under 30) who live quite well w/o college degrees. That is what I meant.
Have you spent time outside of the bubble you live in?
Look at the way people live. Spend some time in your country.
What's your point?

There are young white women who live quite well without college degrees. There are young blacks of both genders who live quite well without college degrees.

What does any of that have to do with racist scholarships at publicly funded universities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey