Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 05:47 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I wonder if a bicycle would be ideal to explore that area — can quickly move in and out, and spot where you want.
Best bridge for bicycling into the Bronx from Manhattan is the Willis Avenue Bridge if you coming from points South of 125th Street. It's brand new, moderate gradient, pretty wide pedestrian/bicycle lane, and frequently used.

Tri-borough lane is kind of narrow due to truss supports and used much less. Late at night, occasionally homeless hanging out up there. Poor lighting too. It will leave you on Randall's Island and you can take the green lift bridge at E 102nd into Manhattan (great bridge) or the suspended section of the Tri-Borough from Queens (Beware of three sets of stairs). Eventually the Randall's Island Connector will open, pretty much at grade and wide.

Never crossed at 145th so IDK.

161/Macombs Dam Bridge, can get narrow in sections. Also need to watch the crossings at merging lanes.

Never took the Highbridge (closed) or 181 though I head that one is terrible condition.

University Heights Bridge, lots of dangerous traffic at the ends.

Broadway, is the path just watch for pedestrians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 11:28 AM

60 posts, read 80,322 times
OP did a good job on this map. Newcomers please heed!!! FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!! STAY OUT OF OUR RED AREAS!!!! VERY VEDY VEDY DANGEROUSS!!! VERY DANGEROUS!! CANT STRESS ENOUGH!! REAL ESTATE DEVELOPERS TOO!!! Very dangerous!! Please stay out!! For your own safety!!! Thanks.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:23 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,247,758 times
^
That's vedy dangerouss.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 09-18-2013 at 10:38 AM..

Old 09-18-2013, 11:24 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereotypical Black Man View Post
OP did a good job on this map. Newcomers please heed!!! FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!! STAY OUT OF OUR RED AREAS!!!! VERY VEDY VEDY DANGEROUSS!!! VERY DANGEROUS!! CANT STRESS ENOUGH!! REAL ESTATE DEVELOPERS TOO!!! Very dangerous!! Please stay out!! For your own safety!!! Thanks.
funny guy

what I could never understand is why you have to click on separate maps for each borough. Makes no sense at all to jump through so many hoops to look at all the areas of NYC by having click back and forth.

where's the complete map??

Old 09-18-2013, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,553 times
I'm not sure if updates are still being made, but I noticed a few places for alterations in the Lower East Side. I live just north of this neighborhood, so I walk through there often.

The area between the Williamsburg Bridge and Grand Street that is currently orange (near the river) should actually be yellow. So, everything east of Pitt Street between these two streets, plus the building just below Grand right near the river. They are all co-ops populated by middle-class, often older residents. Certainly not hotbeds of drugs or gangs. The worst that can be said about the area is that it gets a little desolate at night. More info here: Cooperative Village - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One small change: Ridge Street between Houston and Stanton has always struck me as a little sketchy -- basically, just dudes hanging out near some of the apartments, eyeing you. There used to be a convenience store on the corner that was also a hangout spot -- it was ordered closed by the city, which suggests to me that they were dealing from there. I think that block should be orange.

Finally, the area west of Allen and east of Chrystie, south of Houston, north of Delancey, should be yellow as well. It's not appreciably different than the area just to the east, except it's less busy and less commercial, and there are a couple of public housing buildings there. Worth keeping alert in that stretch.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:31 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagsNYC View Post
I'm not sure if updates are still being made, but I noticed a few places for alterations in the Lower East Side. I live just north of this neighborhood, so I walk through there often.

The area between the Williamsburg Bridge and Grand Street that is currently orange (near the river) should actually be yellow. So, everything east of Pitt Street between these two streets, plus the building just below Grand right near the river. They are all co-ops populated by middle-class, often older residents. Certainly not hotbeds of drugs or gangs. The worst that can be said about the area is that it gets a little desolate at night. More info here: Cooperative Village - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One small change: Ridge Street between Houston and Stanton has always struck me as a little sketchy -- basically, just dudes hanging out near some of the apartments, eyeing you. There used to be a convenience store on the corner that was also a hangout spot -- it was ordered closed by the city, which suggests to me that they were dealing from there. I think that block should be orange.

Finally, the area west of Allen and east of Chrystie, south of Houston, north of Delancey, should be yellow as well. It's not appreciably different than the area just to the east, except it's less busy and less commercial, and there are a couple of public housing buildings there. Worth keeping alert in that stretch.
Well you're gonna get 1 out of 3. Here's why:

The first area is not all co-ops. What you are referring to is Masaryk Towers, and while they are safer because they're co-ops, they're completely surrounded by Gompers Houses and Baruch Houses, and while they are not the worst NYCHAs, they've been on a downfall the past couple of years, with some crimes even making the papers:

Former Model Stabbed to Death in Baruch Houses Mourned by Family - East Village & Lower East Side - DNAinfo.com New York

Boy, 16, Shot Dead On Lower East Side « CBS New York

Here's another link about the drug dealing in Baruch Houses:

FOUR DRUG KINGPINS, LOWER EAST SIDE GANG MEMBERS INDICTED FOR RUNNING COCAINE DELIVERY SERVICE | The New York County District Attorney's Office

Here's another one about a cop almost getting shot at in Baruch:

Gun belt saves NYPD officer from death in Lower East Side shooting | Metro.us Metro.us

Orange the first area stays.

Next, the second block is a really small street. We're really not trying to cover NYC block by block, but just give a sense of the overall area. The most we may do are corridors, in which we label avenues and streets with a colored strip lasts for blocks.

Finally in regards to the third area - that one I will upgrade to yellow.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-18-2013, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,553 times
Quote:
What you are referring to is Masaryk Towers
We've got a little confusion on that first point -- not talking about the Masaryk Towers, which are north of the bridge, but the Amalgamated Dwellings, the Hillman Housing buildings and the East River Housing towers, which are south. They're separated from the Baruch Houses by the bridge overpass. Going from one to the other, it's a marked difference and I think a change in color would be justified.

Fair enough on not changing Ridge -- I thought I had seen it done elsewhere on the maps, but you're right, it's usually a few blocks worth. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DagsNYC View Post
We've got a little confusion on that first point -- not talking about the Masaryk Towers, which are north of the bridge, but the Amalgamated Dwellings, the Hillman Housing buildings and the East River Housing towers, which are south. They're separated from the Baruch Houses by the bridge overpass. Going from one to the other, it's a marked difference and I think a change in color would be justified.

Fair enough on not changing Ridge -- I thought I had seen it done elsewhere on the maps, but you're right, it's usually a few blocks worth. Thanks.
Yes those are 100% safe. I updated it and actually left it as clear, while I continued with the orange south of Grand Street. I think that's more appropriate. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:48 PM

Manhattan Safety map updated to include Polo Grounds Houses and Rangel Houses as red.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
funny guy

what I could never understand is why you have to click on separate maps for each borough. Makes no sense at all to jump through so many hoops to look at all the areas of NYC by having click back and forth.

where's the complete map??
Putting those shapes on each borough takes time. To do the whole city would take some considerable man hours. We don't have the time for that. I don't know about checkmate, but I enjoy my nice cold beer when I come home from work; I don't come home from work to do more work. Lol

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City