Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 08:43 AM

42 posts, read 169,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
Mwahahahahahahahaaaaa......Quick, where's my KKK hood!

Are you kidding with this? Really, I hope so. When was NYC ever the exclusive province of that endangered creature known as the "Upstanding pure white true American"? Who exactly are you talking about? Peter Minuit, the Dutchman who bought Manhattan from the Indians for about 60 guilders, the Dutchmen, the Swedes, the Brits with their slaves, Italians, Irish, or what? Here's news for you -- none of them were 'upstanding and pure'. They were all scoundrels, cheaters, liars, and many were mobsters (the Irish mob, check it out). There was child labor, squalor, TB, lousy plumbing, and bad education.

NYC now is much much much better for everyone, including "animals and gays". And I feel totally welcome, and I'm about as lily-white as it gets. I'm almost translucent I am so white (Swedish/Irish heritage).
I see why you're a traitor, you're half Irish. The scum of the white race. New York city has been infested to the point of no return. OP please return back to Athens ASAP. The jungle monkeys out there will try anything to bring their superior down. True Americans have disowned that sin hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 09:01 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
^ there is nothing american about anything
you think or say.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:40 PM

338 posts, read 677,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post

Why do people say "god bless?" It's so cheesy politician like.
Don't take it too literally. Think of it as Goodbye which is a shortened form of "God be with wi' ye." No one's trying to proselytize!

Old 09-04-2012, 04:42 PM

338 posts, read 677,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Lol. They were a combo of the two percenters (US born citizens in NYC) and the second generation immigrants who'd apparently learned from observing the locals that if you want to fit in and become a real NYer you must learn to be rude and snootily despise all things "southern" as soon as you detect it.
Maybe you came off as a hick I have a Southern accent and have never encountered that. In fact I am proud--and loudly so, although not obnoxiously--of my roots! Southern cuisine is the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Gee ya think? It's the seething resentment at "multi cultural" that really gives it away.

I was going to cut this clownschool a break but now I see that his allergy to NYC is just standard issue Sarah Palin style "real America" bull puckey.

Yo, Regular...your "4th generation" makes you a rank newbie American in my eyes. My ancestors were in colonial Virginia in 1650, makin' money on tobacco. I'm Sons of the American Revolution on mother's and father's side. When your great great grandfather was still starving on potatoes in Ireland and trying to scrape up the money for passage to the USA, mine was chasing down Rebel partisans in his Union Army cavalry unit. So if anyone speaks for "regular folks," it would be me---not you. And as regular folks I say take your creepy, intolerant, bigoted NASCAR ass back to Dixie stat. You won't be missed.
A little harsh but I tend to agree--my family likewise goes way back (I'm descended from a Signer) and I guarantee I have more "Northern European " ancestry than he does. And I *detest* it when someone uses that as code for closet racism, or tries to appeal to me through some kind of imagined shared bigotry. As a self-proclaimed American, the OP should welcome diversity, not give it the side-eye. NYC's melange of multi-culturalism does take some getting used to, but that's a good thing. The world isn't getting any whiter, nor should we want it to. E pluribus unum--out of many, one. Our multi-culturalism is our strength, not our weakness, and NYC is ground zero for that. And for all that, it's still very, very easy, especially for someone with any kind of money, to live in a white cocoon. The OP should instead embrace this unique opportunity he has and expand his cultural boundaries.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
WHINER! So you go from a small Burb to a HUGE city and expect people to talk and act like they are from the South? That everyone should talk about fishing and farming? I'm all for different strokes but I don't think you have given this city a far chance. Yes it can wear you down. If you are worn down, take a vacay. If you don't like the city, MOVE. It's not that caring and unfeeling. It's a diverse city where you can learn there are different types of view but your own. I have learned so much about different cultures and religions since being down here.
Haven't been down there, but I don't think Athens, Georgia is a small burb. It's a rather large college town. Has a big music scene, R.E.M, B-52s Neutral Milk Hotel and Of Montreal came out of there. Danger Mouse lived there as well. Not really conservative was one of Obama's better counties in Georgia. Most of the other counties in Georgia democrats do better in have a higher black population %. Not high for New England or NYC standards, not your typical southern area.

But this New York City resident found it pedestrian hostile and the police anti-jaywalking:

Pedestrian Observations from Athens, GA | Pedestrian Observations

Old 09-05-2012, 05:44 AM

77 posts, read 64,809 times
this is the craziest thread I've ever read...

NYC is a melting pot... if you're nice, people will be nice... if you're already thinking about how people are not like you, then of course you are going to have a horrible experience in NYC.

This is what NYC is all about... people from all over the world coming together... please stop with your crap and judgement.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:46 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,838,081 times
He's banned. Thank God.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:46 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,159,216 times
why didn't they remove that post though, that's at the top of this page? I'm sure I'm not the only one who reported it. It's disgusting.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:17 AM

75 posts, read 107,461 times
I am getting some feedback from posters saying that I am wrong and old fashioned for wanting to live in a place with a majority white and American born population. They are saying that NYC is the way all cities in the world should be and the perfect place is exactly like NYC where people speak hundreds of languages, hold on to their native cultures, and reject the melting pot theory and embrace multiculturalism. Places like NYC are what America should be like and places like Pittsburgh are old and out of date.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:48 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
I am getting some feedback from posters saying that I am wrong and old fashioned for wanting to live in a place with a majority white and American born population. They are saying that NYC is the way all cities in the world should be and the perfect place is exactly like NYC where people speak hundreds of languages, hold on to their native cultures, and reject the melting pot theory and embrace multiculturalism. Places like NYC are what America should be like and places like Pittsburgh are old and out of date.
More so you're wrong in declaring your tastes and culture "regular Americans". It's fine to prefer a particular subculture but saying regular Americans are those who like hunting, NASCAR, etc is calling large regions of the country not regular Americans, somewhat insulting. Most whites in the Northeast let alone New York City do not have these tastes. And first and second generation immigrants aren't real Americans? A large fraction of the people I knew in college (maybe 30%) had at least one parent who wasn't born in the US. Same is true for me. They are America just as much as more "native" Americans.

Considering this is the NYC forum, a high proportion of the posters are probably second-generation immigrants, and definitely most posters here aren't the "regular Americans" you describe. Not wholesome for one.

Last edited by nei; 09-05-2012 at 10:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City