U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2018, 06:02 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
5,478 posts, read 2,845,256 times
Reputation: 6170

Advertisements

Another Leftist policy that backfires. Do they not get tired of failing? (Of course they’ll never admit it and will then go on to enact another law/tax to try to fix the previous failed law/tax.) It is a never ending cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2018, 06:04 AM
 
893 posts, read 544,295 times
Reputation: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krb212 View Post
Wait so waitresses are making $15/hr plus tips? I noticed prices have been going up a little so I’ve been ordering seamless and buying from places that have offers like 25-35% off. Go on the app and look at “trending offers”
I think they make "X" per hour + tips so that X + tips adds up to 15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2018, 06:32 AM
 
70,828 posts, read 71,189,712 times
Reputation: 48428
waitess's and waiters who work on tips are exempt from the 15 dollar law . i believe they get 10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2018, 06:48 AM
 
Location: NYC
1,019 posts, read 1,004,275 times
Reputation: 783
Oh a conservative conspiracy blog, so it's gotta be true, not....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2018, 06:52 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
5,478 posts, read 2,845,256 times
Reputation: 6170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
Oh a conservative conspiracy blog, so it's gotta be true, not....
If it is not true, then why don’t you tell us then how this min wage law will work out for businesses then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2018, 06:59 AM
 
Location: In the heights
21,921 posts, read 23,488,911 times
Reputation: 11522
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
If it is not true, then why don’t you tell us then how this min wage law will work out for businesses then?
Some will adapt to them, some won’t. It’s hard to say at this point as there was a pretty steady number of closures in the years before this law was enacted and where the astronomically higher rent was usually cited. Since that is still being cited and that had been cited in the past and there are quite a few empty street level spaces, then let’s do some vacancy taxes so landlords might reconsider their gamble with massive rents.

You’re almost certainly not going to find support for repealing or lowering minimum wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2018, 07:07 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
5,478 posts, read 2,845,256 times
Reputation: 6170
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Some will adapt to them, some won’t. It’s hard to say at this point as there was a pretty steady number of closures in the years before this law was enacted and where the astronomically higher rent was usually cited. Since that is still being cited and that had been cited in the past and there are quite a few empty street level spaces, then let’s do some vacancy taxes so landlords might reconsider their gamble with massive rents.

You’re almost certainly not going to find support for repealing or lowering minimum wage.
So basically it will make an already bad situation even worse. And as for some adapting and some won’t...that is really saying that there will be less jobs than there would have been if it weren’t for this law. In other words, it will kill businesses and hurt jobs. Great policy we’ve got here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2018, 07:11 AM
 
Location: NYC
1,019 posts, read 1,004,275 times
Reputation: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
If it is not true, then why don’t you tell us then how this min wage law will work out for businesses then?
I go out dining a lot and if new higher prices contributes to people actually getting a livable wage than so be it. Restaurants that don't survive were probably on their last leg anyways and they probably weren't paying their workers a livable wage to begin with. Other than that it is too soon to start evaluating the effects of minimum wage increase especially in NYC when you have other factors like astronomical rent increases that have surpassed the median wage over the last few decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2018, 07:22 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
5,478 posts, read 2,845,256 times
Reputation: 6170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
I go out dining a lot and if new higher prices contributes to people actually getting a livable wage than so be it. Restaurants that don't survive were probably on their last leg anyways and they probably weren't paying their workers a livable wage to begin with. Other than that it is too soon to start evaluating the effects of minimum wage increase especially in NYC when you have other factors like astronomical rent increases that have surpassed the median wage over the last few decades.
Of course there will always be restaurants that survive. In a city of 8 million and the money that those 8 million spends will always keep some restaurants afloat. That’s not the argument. The argument is that it will hurt some businesses (how many we won’t really know) that otherwise would have survived and the jobs those businesses provided.

I don’t know how you can argue that this is good for businesses and for jobs. And aren’t losing jobs ultimately hurting those workers as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2018, 07:25 AM
 
Location: In the heights
21,921 posts, read 23,488,911 times
Reputation: 11522
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
So basically it will make an already bad situation even worse. And as for some adapting and some won’t...that is really saying that there will be less jobs than there would have been if it weren’t for this law. In other words, it will kill businesses and hurt jobs. Great policy we’ve got here.
No, how’d you get that? Most restauranteurs do not own their own property and if they did, they’d only pay the vacancy tax if they didn’t run the restaurant anymore which then doesn’t really make them restauranteurs anymore.

Also, I didn’t say I was in support of a minimum wage increase for everyone. All I said was what its effects are loosely and questioned how strong those effects are. I also said I don’t think it’s likely to go back down or be abolished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:35 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top