Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 10:03 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times

Advertisements

My dog is perfectly OK eating his foods off the floor. Dogs are even better than vaccuums, if we really wanna start comparing things here...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 10:18 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
My dog is perfectly OK eating his foods off the floor. Dogs are even better than vaccuums, if we really wanna start comparing things here...lol
Totally off-topic. Recently a neighbour dumped her dog on me to dogsit as she went out of state.

I dropped some roasted chicken on the floor and the damn dog mopped it up like crazy.

I fed him chicken until she returned and the woman threw a fit becoz the dog's not supposed to eat chicken.

Makes me wonder how much these people control the natural instincts of their pets. Dogfood my foot.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:41 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Just like me! I keep waiting for the "mothering gene" to kick in, but I have zero desire to love on babies. As a kid, people gave me dolls and I ignored them to instead play with my stuffed animals. In preschool, instead of playing "house", I wanted to play "zoo". To this day, in my mid-20's, I will melt into a puddle seeing a puppy or kitten, but shy away from my friends' babies. They're constantly asking if I want to hold them, and I'm constantly turning them down, though I will happily take their pup for a walk or let their cat curl up on my lap.

I think some people are just wired differently.

I'd be a great mother. I have the love, the time, the dedication--just not the desire. I put all those talents and skills to good use through my efforts teaching, tutoring, and mentoring my students at school and at church (I like kids once they are old enough to have actual conversations about real topics with you--10 and up are interesting to me). I further utilize them fostering rescue dogs, volunteering as a trainer for local rescues, and loving on my own rescue dog. I have no need for a baby in any part of my life.
That is so admirable that you are able to give love to rescue dogs, they are true unsung heroes.

In my youth and early 20's, I could not STAND small children and infants. Everybody assumes because you are female, you are just DYING for the chance to stay home and watch (or help) them take care of their toddler or baby. Not me, no thanks. I always said I didn't want children because I didn't like them. Then 5 years into my marriage, my oldest daughter was born, and I was worried that I'd be a horrible mother because I just didn't "feel" anything. The maternal instinct didn't kick in until a couple of months after she was born, when she made eye contact with me for the first time and smiled. It was like something hot ripped through me, that brought me to tears, and after that I couldn't get enough of her. My girls are adults now (no grandkids on the horizon), and my previous indifference towards infants and small children has returned.
I have five cats (4 of them kittens) to get all ooogly gooogly about - "Muffy" being my favorite.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:48 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
I'm 33yrs old and made the decision at 25 that I dont want any children. Its just too much work that quite frankly, I have no interest in dealing with. Too much stress. Financially and emotionally. I'm actually planning on getting a pup later this year. Easier to care for and much more fun!

Old 03-08-2012, 08:56 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,053,063 times
I've always liked puppies and dogs, but most of my closest friends and relatives seem to have more kids than pets, so I find myself exposed to children more often. I think think they're cute from time to time, but after working with preschool and toddler aged children, I can understand how much work they can be, too (especially at that young of an age). While I could see myself having kids eventually (my "motherly vibe" wavers), I cherish my independence for now, and am not in any rush (unlike many females my age--[25/26].

I'm surprised at how fresh some 2-5 year olds can be (I couldn't talk back to adults or swear at other teachers and students, or even kick or throw chairs at people), yet I can appreciate the well behaved kids (for a few hours at least, before they wear me out with their energy and never-ending questions ). You really need to have patience; and not everyone has that. I can't speak for all ages, but I find upbringing has much to do with how they behave, as many of the "tougher" kids came from unstable families, so I can sympathize somewhat with these kids.

There are benefits to dogs and kids. Dogs can be taught to behave, and do well, as you treat them well; if not, they can become bad dogs. Of course like children becoming adults they slow down when they get older. But kids, unlike dogs, can sometimes rebel as they get older, regardless of how they were raised--dogs typically remain loyal like well--behaved young kids. On the other hand, dogs never can become fully independent the way kids can as they grow older. It's all a matter of what appeals to you most.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Puppies only live for about 13 years.
You can put them in a kennel.
They will not grow up, move away and never call you.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:03 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Totally off-topic. Recently a neighbour dumped her dog on me to dogsit as she went out of state.

I dropped some roasted chicken on the floor and the damn dog mopped it up like crazy.

I fed him chicken until she returned and the woman threw a fit becoz the dog's not supposed to eat chicken.

Makes me wonder how much these people control the natural instincts of their pets. Dogfood my foot.
A dog will eat ANYTHING. It doesn't know it has a restricted diet. My dog will inhale a napkin, piece of plastic, poo, cigarette butt...see where I'm going with this? They eat anything that's on the ground or floor. She should have told you not to feed it table food. You can't control their instinct to not pick up anything. They have to be taught the "leave it" command or anything similar to that and the dog owner should have told you if the dog was trained to "leave it". Not doggie's fault.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,432,759 times
Many people have disoriented value systems and lack balance. They forget or never learned that despite all the sorrows brought upon the world by mankind, humans come first. Animals come second. And as cuddly as many are, God still permits us to use some as food.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:10 AM

770 posts, read 1,178,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
A dog will eat ANYTHING. It doesn't know it has a restricted diet. My dog will inhale a napkin, piece of plastic, poo, cigarette butt...see where I'm going with this? They eat anything that's on the ground or floor. She should have told you not to feed it table food. You can't control their instinct to not pick up anything. They have to be taught the "leave it" command or anything similar to that and the dog owner should have told you if the dog was trained to "leave it". Not doggie's fault.
Lol this so true. The other day my dog dug through my bag and found my gum. She ate the whole damn pack including the wrappers.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:46 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,783,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Probably cheaper to upkeep a dog than a baby.
But sometimes it's a obsession with animals.

Why do some people like puppies/dogs but not babies/kids?-uploadfromtaptalk1331232369384.jpg

That's not healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships