Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 12:01 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times

Advertisements

Separate check most times upfront, if I know them really well which means I trust them then just break it out at end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 12:09 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But she--and I--are NOT saying that. We ARE saying that in the NY metro area, it's not considered good manners to do this. I don't understand why people are reading something into this practice that isn't there. No one is judging anyone.

I just went out to lunch with six coworkers and brought up the subject. Everyone looked puzzled at the notion that people would find it acceptable to ask for separate checks and a couple of them had stories of being embarrassed when going out to eat with people who asked the server to provide separate checks. It just is something that's not "done" here. It doesn't make anyone else in another part of the country right or wrong--it just is frowned upon here.

And until this thread happened, I had no idea that it was considered OK to ask for separate checks in most of the rest of the country.
Sure, okay. You can speak for yourself but I will form my own judgment about other posters.

If you read the thread, you would see that several of us have stated that we are ASKED upfront by the staff if we want combined or separate checks. I can't remember a time when I have ever asked for separate checks. I am perfectly capable of doing the math myself, as are the vast majority of people in my part of the country.

Perhaps WE aren't the ones who need to get out and see more of the country.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 PM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Separate checks for each couple or single. It gets too difficult otherwise.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:35 PM

88,516 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Sure, okay. You can speak for yourself but I will form my own judgment about other posters.

If you read the thread, you would see that several of us have stated that we are ASKED upfront by the staff if we want combined or separate checks. I can't remember a time when I have ever asked for separate checks. I am perfectly capable of doing the math myself, as are the vast majority of people in my part of the country.

Perhaps WE aren't the ones who need to get out and see more of the country.
Ive read the entire thread, and if you did, you will remember that I commented that I've NEVER been asked by a server if we want separate checks! But I do not recall anyone at any point saying anyone has to get out and see more of the country.

Anyway, this thread reminded me of the old SNL episode with Father Guido Sarducci when he finds the table check from The Last Supper:

On The Last Supper: It was actually a brunch. The check (discovered by Sarducci himself!) reveals that one guy only had a soft-boiled egg and tea, while everyone else stuffed themselves. But when the bill was paid, it was divided equally. The moral: "In groups, always order the most expensive thing."

Father Guido Sarducci's Official Website - Christmas CD

Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
It should be roughly based on what you order. But some people always want to spit the tab evenly.

When I am with the "tab splitters," I am at a huge disadvantage, as I rarely get alcohol with my meal. I've finally learned to just get something pricey, get a dessert, and take stuff home. That way I enjoy the company and avoid getting miffed about the tab!

^^^ Good thinking.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:39 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
This thread reminds me of this comic: What we should have been taught instead of calculus - The Oatmeal

Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times
What I have found is separate checks often benefit servers because they get more in tips, combined check someone always tries to weasel out of their fare share.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:06 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ive read the entire thread, and if you did, you will remember that I commented that I've NEVER been asked by a server if we want separate checks! But I do not recall anyone at any point saying anyone has to get out and see more of the country.

Anyway, this thread reminded me of the old SNL episode with Father Guido Sarducci when he finds the table check from The Last Supper:

On The Last Supper: It was actually a brunch. The check (discovered by Sarducci himself!) reveals that one guy only had a soft-boiled egg and tea, while everyone else stuffed themselves. But when the bill was paid, it was divided equally. The moral: "In groups, always order the most expensive thing."

Father Guido Sarducci's Official Website - Christmas CD
You keep saying it's considered bad manners to ask for separate checks. I don't ask for separate checks, it is usually always offered if there is a group of people.

I just think some people (I am not necessarily directing this at you) need to realize that the NYC metro is not the center of the universe, and just because something is not done there doesn't mean it is rude/tacky/wrong/<insert your favorite word here>. Different areas have different customs. Rather than complain about tacky tourists, maybe people should be glad tourists are still going and spending money there. I would think you would want to show your city off, since it's so great and all...

No worries, though. You would stick out just as much in my neck of the woods.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:19 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Get the final bill and divide by how many have eaten.

It's the only civilised way.
So, if you order prime rib and an expensive bottle of wine and I have salad and water, you think it's fair to split that evenly? That isn't civilized, it's outrageous.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
You keep saying it's considered bad manners to ask for separate checks. I don't ask for separate checks, it is usually always offered if there is a group of people.
Incorrect. I keep saying it's considered bad manners in the NY metro area to ask for separate checks. It's an informational statement. As I've stated repeatedly, I did not realize that was not the case in other parts of this country until so many people on this thread said it was the norm to have separate checks where they are. I don't understand why you are seeing this through some sort of offensive prism. I'm not defending the NY metro area's way as the "right" way.

It just IS that way here.

Quote:
I just think some people (I am not necessarily directing this at you) need to realize that the NYC metro is not the center of the universe, and just because something is not done there doesn't mean it is rude/tacky/wrong/<insert your favorite word here>. Different areas have different customs. Rather than complain about tacky tourists, maybe people should be glad tourists are still going and spending money there. I would think you would want to show your city off, since it's so great and all...
DING DING DING!! YES!! What I've bolded in your paragraph above IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING!!!

But...regardless, New York City IS the Center of the Universe...

And no, I don't live there myself, and yes, as a person who volunteers as a tour guide in the city, I do appreciate the tourists because they care about the WTC.

That doesn't mean I have to like it when they stop dead in the middle of the sidewalk and cause hundreds of people behind them to jam up!

Quote:
No worries, though. You would stick out just as much in my neck of the woods.
Well...a six-foot-tall woman would stick out anywhere. But since I grew up with chickens in the backyard and learned to drive in the mountains, I can pretty much adjust to any surroundings, so maybe not. One thing about people from the NY metro area, they're a lot more accepting of others than those in many other places. Unless maybe if they wait on tables, but I've never done that so I wouldn't know for sure.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-16-2012 at 01:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships