Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 05:28 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokid View Post
my parents said I can't move out though
Are they paying for your college studies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 05:36 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,664,852 times
well just grow up, be responsible and move out that's an option you have. you don't need anyone permission to move out, you are of legal age to do that . also people are going to treat you like how you act, you act like a kid then that's how people will treat you. act like an adult and you will be treated that way.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:43 PM

501 posts, read 933,727 times
I'll be the one parent on here to disagree. The cousin (nor anyone else) has the authority to "ground" a legal adult for the behavior that takes place outside the apartment. If the drinks were in the apartment, that'd be one thing. But she doesn't get to control someone else's life and everything that they do just because he is staying there.

Personally, I'd move out. That isn't the relationship that I would want with a cousin who was just 9 years older, and my freedom is important.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:51 PM

84 posts, read 112,650 times
Are they paying for your college studies?[/quote]

yes

Old 10-27-2013, 05:57 PM

why can't she just do her thing and I do mine?

Old 10-27-2013, 06:03 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,502,545 times
Quote:
my parents said I can't move out though
Then you're stuck living by her rules.

You don't get a free ride and a free place to live for nothing. She's giving you those things and in return, you have to follow her rules. If you don't like that? Get a job and rent your own place. Of course, then your parents probably won't help with tuition or anything else, so you may be shooting yourself in the foot.

My advice? Big picture. The point of college is to get a degree that can help you become an independent adult with good employment and the ability to support yourself. Think of right now as a temporary time leading up to you being free to make your own choices once you graduate and are paying all the bills.

And btw, your cousin doesn't sound that unreasonable at all. You have to make your bed? If you didn't learn to do this growing up then your parents did you a disservice. You SHOULD BE doing chores around the house (half the chores) every single week no matter what. You should also be paying half the rent and paying for half the food, half the utilities, half the phone bill, half the TV bill... and you aren't having to pay any of that. So basically you have no right to complain.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:04 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
why can't she just do her thing and I do mine?
Her apt - her rules.

Grow up.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:09 PM

if we reversed roles, i wouldn't giver her any rules at all because I would respect her as a 19 year old adult.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:12 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,502,545 times
Quote:
if we reversed roles, i wouldn't giver her any rules at all because I would respect her as a 19 year old adult.
That's the sort of silly thing you say when you're 19 and want a free ride without having to give in to the demands of the person providing it.

If you're still completely financially dependent on someone else, you're not really a full "adult." Turning 18 is nothing. It's the day you start paying for everything yourself that you finally gain independence. If you want to do everything on your own say-so, you have to pay your own way for everything--and that can be a tough row to hoe. My advice is to suck it up, realize you don't really have it so bad, and focus on your studies. Whining over being expected to make your bed and follow reasonable curfews/rules while living in someone else's house is immature. Expecting not to have to do any chores or pay any rent is spoiled.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:18 PM

i'm fine with the reg. chores, its the added chores and the no TV or phone for 2 weeks that I have a problem with. There wasn't even a discussion it was " You drank? You're grounded"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships