Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:23 PM

22,595 posts, read 47,698,122 times

Advertisements

Her house, her rules.
And you should not be drinking at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 08:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokid View Post
She drank before she was 21 as well
"But Mom! Sheeeeee did it!!!!!"

Old 10-27-2013, 08:27 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,502,545 times
Quote:
we're not having relations. There's a cycle: She comes over, gets interrogated, cousin goes to her room, date and I watch netflix, she leaves, cousin tells me why she doesn't like the girl or why she feels the girl isn't good enough.
I mean, that's nosy, sure, but it's no different from what most parents do. She's in the role of surrogate parent right now if you're completely mooching off what she has. If you don't like it? Move out and start paying your way. Otherwise you live by her rules.

Quote:
parents wont let me. They want me to focus on school 100% no job distractions. I've put my tail between my legs, apologized, tried to compromise but she won't compromise
And again, if your parents are paying for school and you're accepting it? Then you get to live by their rules. Of course, you could stop living by everyone's rules and simply stop accepting their money. But I'm guessing you don't want to do that because it would require actually manning up. Instead you want to whine about how you should be given everything and have no rules on top of it. That's not the way the world works.

Oh, and compromise? You can only negotiate a compromise when you have some power. You have none. You would have power if you paid your own way or were an equal partner, but as long as you take their handouts, you will always be in the "child" or "not full adult" category. Don't like it? Hurry up and finish school so you can graduate and start paying for everything on your own. And making straight B's? It's better than straight D's, but it's not exactly awesome either. Study harder. Make A's. It's a tough job market out there.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:27 PM

84 posts, read 112,650 times
I'm just saying. if she is going to ground me for something she used to do. Where is the fairness in that? its hard for me to take her seriously.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:32 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,502,545 times
Quote:
I'm just saying. if she is going to ground me for something she used to do. Where is the fairness in that? its hard for me to take her seriously.
You are not entitled to fairness. No one cares if you take her seriously. She is paying for everything and therefore has 100% of the power.

If you don't like this, get a job, move out and start paying for everything in your life. If that option sounds unappealing, then quit whining, recognize that you have a very cushy situation overall, and suck it up for the next three years. Plenty of people manage to have fun in college without drinking. You can take girls places other than back to your cousin's apartment. Teaching you to be responsible for chores and keeping up after yourself will only make you more attractive to girls later on.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:32 PM

I'll admit I wasn't very mature, but isn't compromise a sign of maturity? so she should compromise. Drop the grounding and the new chores and I'll step my game up academically and chore wise. I'll also spend Saturday nights at 1 in the morning listening as to why ( insert girl's name here) is a horrible untrustworthy girl who is using you.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:34 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
That makes no sense. You could say that about all parents.

Like it or not, she is the authority figure here, and all your "yeah, but ..." protests only prove the point that you need her to establish some authority.

You will not get sympathy here. Try this in the Relationships forum if you want to feel better.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:36 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
LMAO at OP saying that four years of his life is "not temporary!!!!"

Old 10-27-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
You are not entitled to fairness.
Plenty of people manage to have fun in college without drinking. You can take girls places other than back to your cousin's apartment.
1)My parents always compromised and everything was fine. 2) I can have fun without drinking. I don't consider 3 drinks or less drinking. 2)My friend from high school who passes out in his front lawn, that's drinking. 3) where should I take them. They come over to the apartment, we go out to eat or a movie( or stay in), and then we chill back here( given if we're not already staying in). Where else do i take them?

Old 10-27-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
That makes no sense. You could say that about all parents.
exactly, which is why if I ever become a father, my son/daughter won't be grounded for having 3 drinks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships