Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 03:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
There are plenty of CD posters whose names I associate with drama, but Kathryn is not on that list. I have read many, many posts of hers filled with level-headedness, wisdom, compassion, and interest. Who doesn't have *some* drama in their life at various times? She has given out good suggestions and advice to other posters many times, and now she's here asking for some for this situation.

Carry on.
Thank you very much, kayanne - I really appreciate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 06:47 AM

She came to the class! It went very well. We had a great time together!

Old 01-22-2016, 11:29 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
She came to the class! It went very well. We had a great time together!
Well that is great to hear! How did your painting turn out??? Going to share a photo of it for us? (My "Wine and Canvas" painting is in a closet. Not sure why I even kept the hideous thing!)

Old 01-22-2016, 11:33 AM

1,038 posts, read 903,334 times
I think a 31 page thread on Someone Else, is way too involved....!

Old 01-22-2016, 01:46 PM

4,062 posts, read 2,140,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
Hmmm---enough of us thought this was interesting enough and not "way too involved" to keep it going for 31 pages! The OP posts with heart and brains. Many of us were able to relate to at least parts of this. Moderators didn't close it for wandering off topic (and I don't think they have a set amount of pages before they will cut off discussion). If we helped the OP cope with a friend she loves but whom can be difficult, isn't that a good thing? Helping someone cope and helping, indirectly, a friendship? You've mentioned kindness a lot; we don't just have to reserve it for 95 year olds, do we? How about for fellow posters who ask for our help, regardless of their age?

The beauty of CD is that there are so many threads and sections---something for everyone. There may be shorter threads that will pique your interest, but this one still retains mine (why I still visit it).

Old 01-22-2016, 02:41 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
Then why are you reading it and commenting?

Old 01-22-2016, 03:30 PM

1,038 posts, read 903,334 times
its not me whos over involved in my friends life.

commenting on a thread is Not the Overinvolvement I was getting at.

Driving a thread by multiple looooooong posts defending your own OP, is being Overinvolved in Your Friends Life IMO. Heck, being overinvolved in Your OWN life Or a symptom of it at least.

I simply cannot imagine any of my threads lasting 31 pages because I go "okay then, answered" within about 3 or 4.

OP apparently either doesn't like the answers or has to argue each one individually.

I don't know, that seems almost Strange. Even the title is odd, like there are no other alternatives in behavior except Extreme.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:05 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,431,422 times
KA glad your friend turned up and that you had fun. I've thought about one of those fun painting evenings even though I have absolutely no artistic talents at all. ( I can draught a design for a garden in no time but freehand ... pfftttt forget it)

Bodes well for your friendship though, which is a good thing.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:31 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Your a good friend K, I'm glad everything worked out!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-23-2016, 02:25 PM

Thanks, O Helpful Ones!

I wouldn't go so far as to say that everything's worked out, because I still don't know what caused my friend's behaviors, which are likely to be repeated if it's an unaddressed medical condition. So we'll see because I don't think she's gone back to the doctor about anything. But honestly, if she stops standing me up, that's about all I have any authority about when it comes to putting my foot down. That doesn't mean I'm not concerned about her but all I can do I think is encourage her take care of her health and emotional stability, and set the parameters of my expectations in our relationship. And everyone has parameters. I think expecting her to be where she says she will be when she says she will be there most of the time is a realistic and healthy expectation.

But I am SO glad she seems to be cheerful, upbeat, and energetic - and more like the friend I've known for so long. I still don't know what has been causing this, but maybe just calling her hand on it was a step in the right direction. Time will tell. But it's terrific to just enjoy hanging out with her.

Here's my painting, by the way - woohooooo! This is my second one. It wasn't that complicated. I'm going to try a harder one next time.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 07:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships