Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 03:51 AM

272 posts, read 1,003,207 times

Advertisements

Back in the 1960s, I helped my father put in all the Air Conditioning in the Altra, I dont know what comp. is there now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 07:43 AM

5 posts, read 26,106 times
Post Maybe you can help me!!

Hi,

Let me introduce myself, My name is Joan Elaine. I was not born in Scranton but, my grandmother lived in the Scranton,wilkes-Barre area. I am 65 years old and my mom died when I was ten. I used to visit my grndmother and I remember the coal hills and the snows there and some other things. Some of the things you mentioned sound familiar, I would love to be able to find out if you could help me. My grandparents last name was "Howells" After mom died we never went back there. I have many realitives I don't know. my grandparents are dead, my dad died and I would like to find out any info I can about my realitives. Also, mom was burried up there in a cemetary outside or near Scranton but, I don't know where. I was hoping I could find out the cemetary so I could try to get some sort of realitive history. My grandmother's house was on the same street where there was a big wrought iron fence surrounding something like a church, can't remember anything but that fence. Also there were mountains of coal behind her house. She passed in 1953. Maybe you can help me.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:25 PM

103 posts, read 361,475 times
You are going to have a hard time finding coal miners who worked around 1964-65. Most of those men are gone now. My father is one of them. So are all my friends and husbands fathers. I can still remember my fathers mining hat and lunch bucket. He even took me down in the mines to show me what it was like. I grew up shoveling coal out of the coal shandy for our coal stove. And carrying the ashes outside. Those ashes came in handy on snowy days for the sidewalks.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:42 AM

103 posts, read 361,475 times
I remember years later they turned Concrete City into a training area for the firemen. Then I heard they were talking about tearing the whole place down. So don't know if its still there.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:41 PM

6 posts, read 25,821 times
I just happen to browes here,I am learning so much.

I do not know what to say,except that I also agree that in 64-65,It may be adifficult time to find coal miners in that era.My grandfather,Uncle worked in the coal mines.

My Uncle died in the coal mine.he was sadly missed,I will never forget his "raspy" voice.But he had a sense of humor. We loved him and still do. Sorry all.

To :Polaris:
I just read your post, you learned alot at a young age.Actually,I didn't til I was much older. (I was in the 40s)

And to Joan Elaine; I will ask,I will write back in 3-4 days.Or hopefully sooner.I wish you luck.
I will try.......

Old 01-02-2009, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,681 times
I LIVED ON LOOMIS STREET IN THE 50'S AND NOBLE STREET IN THE SUMMER OF 60. I ATTENDED KINDERGARDEN AND FIRST GRADE AT ASKIM SCHOOL ( NOT SURE OF THE SPELLING).i was wondering if the school is still there? we had our school picnics at san souci park.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:41 PM

3 posts, read 11,316 times
Default Nanticoke

I was born in Nanticoke at Nanticoke Hospital. Grew up in Hanover Twp. Had a severe eye injury as a child treated by Dr. Abbott, an opthalmologist in Nanticoke. Saved my sight. But I cannot stand anyone doing any exam of my eyes. Enjoyed movies at the Rex and State theaters. I remember the Leader store, Mill library, and St. Stanislaus orphanage. Remember when Nanticoke had great high school basketball teams, and playing in their high school gym with pillars in the corners. Later, while I was in college, I worked as a milkman in Nanticoke. I have not been back to Nanticoke for a few years, but enjoyed the pictorial of various sights in the town... including the library, the building where Dr. Abbott had his office, Nanticoke Hospital, and the scary hills if you are driving a milk truck. Starting out in Nanticoke and Hanover Twp led me to a medical career in Boston, MA. Best wishes to the old town and all those still there.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 11,061 times
Default Looking for the Lee family

Hello lovely Nanticoke folks! My name is Margaret and I'm in England - just stumbled across your forum whilst looking for new angles on the Lee family.

My lovely mum-in-law is 80 this year and would dearly love to find out about her relatives who lived at 421 Prospect Street in Nanticoke from the mid-1920's for several years (though I don't know just how long).

The family came from England in about 1921 - Daniel Lee, Emily Lee and their small daughter Emmeline. Daniel perished in some sort of mining accident - but I don't know quite when. Emmeline married a man named Andrew (with maybe an Italian surname?) and they had 3 children: Walter (who was in the U.S. navy in WW2) and may have had a son named Walter. Ethel May - who married a dentist who's surname was Ford - they had a daughter named Katherine (who I'm guessing would be in her 50's now?) and Clarence (but there is no information about him).

If any of you nice people could pass this information on or know any thread yourself to these people, I would be delighted and so grateful for your help. I have tried to do some research from here, but Lee is just not the best name to research at a distance!

It's been really interesting reading your comments about the town - and we were so pleased to see the photos that Delorean had posted to give us an idea of how lovely the houses are - I wish we built like that over here - lovely front porches!

Thanks to you all - in anticipation - best wishes, Margaret

Old 01-25-2009, 05:36 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minic View Post
Hello lovely Nanticoke folks! My name is Margaret and I'm in England - just stumbled across your forum whilst looking for new angles on the Lee family.

My lovely mum-in-law is 80 this year and would dearly love to find out about her relatives who lived at 421 Prospect Street in Nanticoke from the mid-1920's for several years (though I don't know just how long).

The family came from England in about 1921 - Daniel Lee, Emily Lee and their small daughter Emmeline. Daniel perished in some sort of mining accident - but I don't know quite when. Emmeline married a man named Andrew (with maybe an Italian surname?) and they had 3 children: Walter (who was in the U.S. navy in WW2) and may have had a son named Walter. Ethel May - who married a dentist who's surname was Ford - they had a daughter named Katherine (who I'm guessing would be in her 50's now?) and Clarence (but there is no information about him).

If any of you nice people could pass this information on or know any thread yourself to these people, I would be delighted and so grateful for your help. I have tried to do some research from here, but Lee is just not the best name to research at a distance!

It's been really interesting reading your comments about the town - and we were so pleased to see the photos that Delorean had posted to give us an idea of how lovely the houses are - I wish we built like that over here - lovely front porches!

Thanks to you all - in anticipation - best wishes, Margaret
I am not from Nanticoke, but my grandparents lived there all their lives & my mom grew up there. We were just there to visit (1st time in 40 years) & it's a nice, quaint little town!!

I have 2 links that may help you in your search. You may be able to access public records or get help some other way...

One is Nanticoke City
The other is Nanticoke PA Online - nanticoke pennsylvania
Hope this can get you at least started on your search!!
Good luck!!

Old 01-26-2009, 08:06 AM

3 posts, read 11,061 times
Default Looking for the Lee family

Thanks so much for your reply and suggestions - I will spend some time on those links as soon as I get a free hour - I'll let you know how I get on - you're very kind - thanks again, best wishes, Margaret
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania