Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:50 AM

103 posts, read 361,418 times

Advertisements

Anyone grow up in Nanticoke? I did and miss the place. I grew up there in the 50's & 60's. At that time it was nice to live there. Anyone remember Westside Playground, Concrete City, San Souci Park, The State Theater, Memorial Day by McGregors, the cemetaries lit up for All Saints Day? Lived on the East side of town. By the cemetaries. Loved it there. Used to sleigh ride in those cemetaries. Used to be loads of horsechestnuts trees around. Loved picking the chestnuts. Picked bags of them! One of our hangouts was the vocational school on Washington St. Used to play in the field and pick pussywillows and fly kites where the community college is now.
Does anyone else have happy memories of Nanticoke?
I was the one in 2000 who found the hand grenade in my moms house when cleaning it out on Grove St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 07:03 AM

272 posts, read 1,002,964 times
I do remember San Souci park,and Joe Nardone and the All Stars,He still plays about once a year, The 50s and 60s were good times around the valley.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:52 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,341,725 times
I remember San Souci park, my first encounter with a wooden rolly coaster and a smaller metal one called Mighty Mouse or something like that. I also attended LCCC in Nanticoke back when it was not all that big. I also remember going to the Nanticoke and GAR football games. Between classes at LCCC use to hope down to the Burger King done on the main street, don't even remember the street anymore. Seems like centuries ago now! Thanks for brings back some of the good old days memories!

Old 04-24-2008, 11:18 AM

The roller coaster at San Souci was called the Bear Cat. And I think the other one was called the Mighty Mouse. That was a scary one. Always started to tip over at the top! Burger King is on the corner of Market & Main Streets. I remember when it was Carol's Club Burgers there. Then it turned into Burger King. My friend Kathy worked there. The Club Burger was the twin of the Big Mac but tasted better.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:44 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,341,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
The roller coaster at San Souci was called the Bear Cat. And I think the other one was called the Mighty Mouse. That was a scary one. Always started to tip over at the top! Burger King is on the corner of Market & Main Streets. I remember when it was Carol's Club Burgers there. Then it turned into Burger King. My friend Kathy worked there. The Club Burger was the twin of the Big Mac but tasted better.

Thanks! OMGosh Carol's we had one in WB back than too. I totally forgot about them until you mentioned it. This site is great in remembering the good ole days in NE Pa! I didn't remember that the wooden one was called Bear Cat but I do remember Mighty Mouse. My sister use to take me on that and the old fun house and train ride. And the dodgems. What a great place for families. Now one has to drive long distances to get to a BIG over crowded theme park. Sad.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:40 AM

I remember Carol's Club Burger in W-B. It was in East End. On the corner. Think Dunkin Donuts is there now. I think I might have stopped in there.
Also miss swimming in Harvey's Creek in West Nanticoke and up at Lake Silkworth. Harvey's Creek was a real popular swimming hole when you lived in Nanticoke. And where everyone washed their cars. Those were the days. I can remember far back when the carnival used to come to town. It was around where the high school is. And the big Easter egg hunts they had for all the kids in Nanticoke in Lincoln Field where the new homes are. Bet alot of people don't know that there was a large playground called East Side Park where the high school now is. Had a big pool there to.
We had all our school picnics at San Souci. I LOVED the train ride. Even now when I pass where it was I look at those woods still there and think of that train. It was small but there was just something about it. I went to St. Marys Parochial School and it was a big deal to buy a ticket for the nuns and take them for a ride on the train.
I even remember when there were mine strippings off of Prospect St. across from the College. Used to climb the coal banks. Now that was fun! Played there alot.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:48 AM

414 posts, read 1,779,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Yep, the coaster was the thrilling wooden Bear Cat (in fact, I stumbled on photos of a scale model of it that I posted earlier somewhere in these threads..........);

The other was the Wild Mouse and it was wild!.; I loved it from the day it opened---it was situated near the dark ride........

There was also a Carroll's in Kingston around the location of the Dairy Queen. I liked their stuff better than McDonald's.............

Old 04-25-2008, 07:05 AM

Thanks Waspa. It was the Wild Mouse! I knew Might Mouse didn't sound right. Mighty Mouse was the cartoon I watched as a kid! Mighty Mouse and Heckle & Jeckle. Boy now I am really remembering my childhood!!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:20 AM

10 posts, read 50,176 times
Smile The park...

...I remember it all so well

Old 04-25-2008, 12:32 PM

272 posts, read 1,002,964 times
Anybody remember the stop and go, it was at east end Wilkes-Barre, that was before McDonalds.We all used to hang out in the big parking lot with are cars, now its Wenndeys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania