Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:00 PM

98 posts, read 190,212 times

Advertisements

I really cant stand nanticoke at all. too many reasons to list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 04:45 AM

5 posts, read 21,479 times
Here is what I remember about Nanticoke, PA. My GM Mary (Hajduk) Rynkiewicz died on 17 Aug 1957 and at that time she was living on 245 Railroad St. My father was Joseph and Mary's son. We lived in Buffalo, NY so our entire family made the trek from Buffalo to Nanticoke in about 7-8 hours in 1957 by car. I remember playing on those coal hills close to my GM's apartment, I was only ten years old when she died in 1957. I remember my father telling me that this is where he grew up. His family consisted of his father John Rynkiewicz/Renkiewicz who emigrated in 1904/05. They married on 15 Nov 1909. There was his older sister Helen born in 1910 who married an Opachinski. The oldest son named Henry who never married. My father Joe who married Stella Niziol from Buffalo, NY. Another brother name Edward whose first wife was Angeline Pietraszko and his 2nd wife was Ethel Borretsky and the last child named Walter who married Sophie Pieklo. I also know that my GF John had a younger brother named Anthony RENKIEWICZ who married Frances E. Zarzecka and married on 22 Jun 1901 in Freeland, PA and had 7 children. Anthony eventually moved to Nanticoke and resided on 221 East Noble St. While my father and his family were growing up in Nanticoke they never owned a home and moved to different apartments like 40 West Grand St; 232 Hanover St; 147 Prospect St and 239 East Broad St. For a short time my GM resided on 178 State St as her son Edward owned that home. One of my cousins from Anthony Renkiewicz's lineage told me that the people who own the Sanitary Bakery in Nanticoke were related to us and there surname is KOWALSKI. I have not been able to show the link to my family surname and the Kowalski's as of yet and would appreciate any help in doing this. Also, I am trying to find info or data on the school that my fathers family attended which I am certain was the Lincoln School. Any help there is also greatly appreciated. God Bless and Thanks for your help in advance.

John J. Rynkiewicz Mod cut - please use DM feature, not e-mail

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-07-2010 at 06:19 AM..

Old 12-06-2010, 10:29 AM

224 posts, read 228,641 times
Wasn't Nick Adams (Johnny Yuma) of the TV western 'The Rebel' a native of Nanticoke? or 'Nanny-coke' as we called it?

I used to thing in the theme song that Johhny Cash sang 'Johnny, your ma was a rebel'

We used to go to Harvey's Lake after mass on Sunday at SS Peter and Pauls church in Plains...
A special trip was to Tobyhanna where I literally wet my 'dungarees' on the 'rollycoaster' as we called it there.

We also used to swim and catch crayfish in the stream behind what is now 'The Woodlands'....does anybody know the name of that stream?

I know this is a 'nannycoke' thread but does anyone remember fishing at 'Big Dam' and little Dam?

Old 12-07-2010, 06:14 AM

5 posts, read 21,479 times
I guess I am looking for some info on the family genealogy for the Kowalski's that own the Sanitary Bakery in Nanticoke, PA? I want to be able to show if there is any relationships to the Rynkiewicz/Renkiewicz surname as I am a direct descendant to this surname. Please feel free to contact me at if you can provide me with any insight to the family connection and also I would love to see any photographs of family that anyone maybe able to produce.

Happy Holidays and best wishes

John J. Rynkiewicz

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-07-2010 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: Please do not post e-mail addresses

Old 12-07-2010, 09:09 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
As I recall, it was also pronounced Nana-cook.

The stream behind The Woodlands is the Laurel Run.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 AM

224 posts, read 228,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
As I recall, it was also pronounced Nana-cook.

The stream behind The Woodlands is the Laurel Run.
Ah, thanks so much...yes...Nana-cook sounds sooo much more local!

Old 12-14-2010, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,064 times
Default Plymouth Township just across the bridge from Nanticoke

I went to school in Plymouth on the Nanticoke bus. One of the two drivers was Billy Manning. He teased a scared looking kid by calling him "Billy Billy Bumper." That was 1952. Billy Manning had dibetes and after he got sick, he was replaced by Jimmy Edwards who wasn't quite so playful. On Saturday my friends and I would walk across the bridge and up Market Street to the Rex theater for the matinee with a Captain Jupiter, Lash LaRue, Cisco Kid, or Hopalong Cassedy serial. Admission was 17 cents. After the movies, we would go to a little shop next to the Comerford theater on Main Street called uncle Bill's. - Bill seems to a frequently recurring name! The store sold joy buzzers, squirting flowers, and silly little things which fasinated a seven year old. It was a simple and safe time when the only thing my mother worried about was my being hit by a car. Most of the time she never knew I was walking across the bridge with a group of older kids who were better able to deal with the walk than I was. A bottle of orange soda was 7 cents while Coke was a dime. I remember once when my uncle Frank threw a quarter to me and said, "get me a pack of Camels and a pack of matches, keep the change." The change bought a bag of penny candy: Mary Janes, a roll of little fruit flavored disks, et al ... There can be many more stories from this old man who demonstrates that he is old by his rambling.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Anyone grow up in Nanticoke? I did and miss the place. I grew up there in the 50's & 60's. At that time it was nice to live there. Anyone remember Westside Playground, Concrete City, San Souci Park, The State Theater, Memorial Day by McGregors, the cemetaries lit up for All Saints Day? Lived on the East side of town. By the cemetaries. Loved it there. Used to sleigh ride in those cemetaries. Used to be loads of horsechestnuts trees around. Loved picking the chestnuts. Picked bags of them! One of our hangouts was the vocational school on Washington St. Used to play in the field and pick pussywillows and fly kites where the community college is now.
Does anyone else have happy memories of Nanticoke?
I was the one in 2000 who found the hand grenade in my moms house when cleaning it out on Grove St.
I did not grow up here but research has brought me here many times. I'm looking for information about the Boyle family, they go back in Nanticoke to the late 1800's. John J Boyle had several children, I'm running into brick walls everywhere. His son Bernard is my husbands grandfather and he only had one child, my father in law. However Edward Boyle taut at Nanticoke High School (he died around 1959) he had a son Robert who went to Nanticoke HS. Do any of you date back that far and do you remember any of this Boyle family. please keep in mind there were a few Boyle families in Nanticoke back then. i do know John J was the burgess somewhere around 1900, (just info to help find the right family).

Old 01-30-2012, 11:51 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
The thing I first recall about Nanticoke was the polka music on the political radio comercials at election time -- LOL!!

Old 06-22-2012, 01:42 AM

4 posts, read 14,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinwalenda View Post
Hi,
I was not born in Nanticoke,actually born&raised in Hunlock Creek up from Rummage's Park/Palace Park. My Fathers family is from Nanticoke,Alden Station, Polander Hill. I spent a lot of time at my Grandmother's in the early 60's. I think I was 5or6 and remember going down to the park(across from Alden Furs) around Christmas to see Santa. One of my Aunt&Uncles still had a little store up from the Russian Church on middle road. Celebrated every Russian Christmas there and boy was it something. All the Slovak/Russian food,tradition,celebration, etc... but that slowly ended toward the end of the 70's. What a time to remember!
I used to go to Carroll's and enjoyed it and I remember Stop& Go too..... I think!
My parents favorite radio station was in Nanticoke (WARM) and I'll always remember driving back with my Dad after archery hunting and listening to the station sign off playing Jim Reeves' Night Watch. My Mom listened to it from sunup to sundown.
Spent every summer at Sans Souci park and remember when a lady was bit by a snake in the Caterpillar ride(I think it closed soon after). Also went to Angela Park & Ghost Town. Spent most of my time at Rummages/Palace Park in Hunlock Creek as my Mom&Dad used to teach skate dancing there and I grew up playing pinball, bowling, skating, & swimming there. Remember when Sly&theFamily Stone played there? My friend and I walked down thru the woods and into the field to catch a glimpse. The people talked about that for years!
Went to Northwest HS and used to"cruise" Nanticoke when I got my license Lot of good times.
Ended up buying a property in Wanamie a few years back just up the road from the site of my Father's old school. Some of my Dad's family still live in Nanticoke or nearby.
I could go on and on. Glad I found this thread.
----------
Hey Bro..is this you or me?

I never bought property in Nanticoke..but I sure remember the Family Stone..you were barely 10 years old then!

Why don't we talk about all that stuff? Who did you walk with through the woods to see Sly? You'll tell me..I think..some day! Remember? I was working at that Hotel in WB where Sly was staying and I stupidly got them to go to our bodunk town to perform because the Track was closed. I think it was one of the Best Smacks in the Head to our place with having them there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania