Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 10:48 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times

Advertisements

Another parking garage?? I just don't see the need for another one...he must have some cronies that need work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 10:54 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,642,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Another parking garage?? I just don't see the need for another one...he must have some cronies that need work...
Then you have to be blind. Every one they have is usually at 80%
capacity during regular business hours.

The garage being built in conjunction with the Connell project has
been downsized for the time being, they must have run into issues.
Originally it was planned to extend around the back of the building
all the way to Spruce St.

Not to mention the fact that they eliminate blight, create temporary
jobs, and reduce the number of empty buildings/store fronts.

The garage on Linden/Wash and the really old one on Spruce are
both slated for restoration work, you'll probably see that happen
before a new one is constructed.

Come to think of it, they may have had to pull cash from the Connell
garage to cover repairs to the cables and decking in the one on
Linden/Wash.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:00 AM

Well I don't park downtown very often, aside from a once-in-a-blue-moon trip to the mall. What I do see is that the Steamtown Mall garage is mainly empty, why can't the city work out some kind of a deal to use part of the mall garage....the mall never uses all that parking.

I have noticed that the monthly prices for parking in downtown Scranton are ridiculously high...around $90 a month. Compare that with downtown Wilkes-Barre, where parking is in the $50 a month range.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:04 AM

The mall is sinking fast.

Rough clientele these days.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:08 AM

703 posts, read 1,546,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I don't know the capacity statistics for the available garages, but from working at the Courthouse (past job), parking is tight downtown during normal business hours.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post

I agree. One of the only reasons we ever went to the mall was for Children's Place, now we have been bypassing the mall altogether and going to the Children's Place at Montage. I don't have to worry as much about my kids being exposed to foul-mouthed teenagers hanging around at Montage.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:41 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post

Kind of like the city huh.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:35 PM

I do have to say that the homeless population is booming.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:06 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I figured it could mean both that and the exodus of educated people from the area.

Brain drain is more than just the exodus of educated people from the area. It's the talented people from the area that are leaving. There are plenty of people in the city that have Md, DDS, PhD, Masters degrees, etc. that could never work anywhere else. There are others with great talent but lacking a diploma who do leave and make a great living because of their talent.

Trust me we have people with Masters degrees here whose most profound thought is "Every take out order should come with little cocktail umbrellas between Memorial Day and Labor Day. It's just good form...." Need I say more?

Old 06-30-2009, 04:46 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
Trust me we have people with Masters degrees here whose most profound thought is "Every take out order should come with little cocktail umbrellas between Memorial Day and Labor Day. It's just good form...." Need I say more?

This is why I never got involved with POWER (Professionals Organized and Working to Enrich the Region) when I still lived in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre because the only social gatherings they ever had were generally alcohol-oriented. When most of the young well-educated people in the region only care about getting smashed to "network" that really says something, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania