Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 12:50 PM

41,973 posts, read 75,229,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaShay87 View Post
If you are not careful you could get trapped in Ohio. You can get comfortable enough and spend your whole life there.
Ain't that the truth ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
My best friend's boyfriend is moving away from Cincinnati too!
Let me guess ... Everyone's moving to Scranton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 04:29 AM

22 posts, read 69,095 times
TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: Willowick, Euclid, grew up in Chesterland.

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: I left to get a better job. At the time, I was a graphic/web designer and there just were so few good paying jobs in that field in Cleveland. It is a field that thrives in NY, Chicago, San Fran and LA. And thrive I did--the jobs pay so much more here! The weather and economy were probably the things I liked least about Cleveland.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Long Beach, CA. I love Long Beach--it is what downtown Cleveland could be, if Cleveland wanted to. The port is huge and industrial, so it felt like home to me. The weather is about as perfect as you can get--between 50 and 80 all year round. LB is very diverse as it is home to Cambodians, Mexicans, Vietnamese and a large gay and lesbian population. It lacks the Stepford-like qualities of Orange County and the pretentiousness of some of LA. Unfortunately, it does not lack gangs.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: None

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?: N/A

6) Anything else you want to say? I think about moving back at times, because my family is there. I dont *hate* Cleveland, I was always a supporter and I still love my Browns! I am proud I grew up there. But I just cant see myself going back to Cleveland winters and a dead economy. I miss my family, and housing prices there are sure tempting, but you have to be able to have a job!

Old 07-13-2008, 10:21 AM

486 posts, read 982,556 times
1) Current or former Ohio location: Toledo

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: I don't want to raise my son here. People that have never left the city, seem to be very negative and underacheiving. I want my son to see other opportunities and realize that there is more to this country than Toledo, Ohio.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Atlanta, Ga I have family and friends there, I love the area. Since I am looking a specific position, I may never move there because it is very competitive and difficult to get into a position there.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: North Carolina and California

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?: Nothing I plan to be gone before the end of the summer.

6) Anything else you want to say?
Ohio will always be here, get out and see what else is out there. If it doesn't work then you can come back.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:44 PM

675 posts, read 1,415,392 times
[quote=Mikieo415;2845523]Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: Dayton (Miamisburg)

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: High taxes and low temperatures.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Phoenix area

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: I would say NV, TX, or FL, based on the climate. However we recently bought land SE of Phx, so there is no 2nd or 3rd choice!

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?: One more kid in high school left to launch!

6) Anything else you want to say? Ohio isn't bad. Got a great non-union job, lots of friends. Just can't frickin take many more winters! Bring on the dry heat of Arizona!!! [/quote]

Old 07-14-2008, 01:31 AM

71 posts, read 229,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I have to agree with the school funding issue. Our district passed a 1% income tax levy in order to guarantee bussing for our high school students (small town, NE OH, Wayne County). This is in ADDITION to the property tax levy that passed a few years ago. Guess what? They still have not reinstated bussing for this year and "promise" they will have it for the school year 2008-2009. The school board and administration says that they are trying to recruit bus drivers but are having little success in doing so. The challenge seems to be low pay, no benefits whatsoever, and the certification to get a license to become a bus driver is all paid by the bus driver. What happened to the qualified bus drivers from the years past? A good number got laid off before the income tax levy passed and they have moved on to different school districts and are driving busses for them.

Our school board and administration blatantly lied in their numerous community ads in the newspaper and mailings to homes. I am appalled at the non-accountability as it pertains to school funding in this state, from our state legislature who continually puts the burden of school funding on property owners and now income tax levies.
In plain language its called the "HUSTLE". In every school district in very town small and large there is a hustle going on by the people who have been put in charge. They hold home owners hostage with higher and higher prop-tax increases.

I have yet too see many of these districts take some small pay cuts. Most of all the money they "TAKE" from you goes to their salaries. The boards are taught how to deceive and without truth about their doings.

When you speak out about change they resist it adamantly. Thats the business of school for you. There will be no change, Just more taxes.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:31 AM

226 posts, read 298,234 times
TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location:
Between Mansfield and Marion

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?:
With retirment approaching and our love of the outdoors, we're thinking about moving where the winters aren't so long.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why:
Knoxville TN, to be close to shopping, health facilities & airport yet close to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg and the Smokies to amuse ourselves.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices:
Asheville NC and Greenville SC for the same reasons stated above.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:
Hate to leave our children and grandchildren, which are here in central Ohio.

Ohio has a lot going for it if you care to take the time and look for it. We enjoy visiting Ohio's Amish Country for beautiful scenery and handcrafted furniture, cheese, etc. Hiking trails abound in the rugged Hocking Hills and southern Ohio. Lake Erie to the north and the Ohio River to the east and south provide plent of water for boating enthusiasts. I just wish the winters weren't so long.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,401 times
Cool Tell it like it is

1) Current or former Ohio location: Dayton, Columbus2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: We were transferred from Wright-Patt AFB to Eglin down here in Fort Walton Beach, Florida.3) Where outside of Ohio and why: The Emerald Coast is absolutely breath-taking. It's kind of like the Carribean - you can go out in the Gulf of Mexico up to your neck and still see your feet. Very clear and gorgeous. The sand is like white powder - it is incredible! Definately come and visit if you have never seen the Emerald Coast. Destin is a very high quality place to stay and there have been many movie stars buy homes here - of course we never see them - why would we expect them to give back to the community? 4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: I want to move back to Ohio!5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:The first two weeks we were here, we went to the beach every day. After that, we were ready to go home. We have been here for 4 years now and I so want to go back to Ohio. It doesn't matter how clean you are - you fight cockroaches! And big ones too! Some are 3 inches long and they fly! I NEVER had to deal with that in Ohio. So if you plan on moving to Florida, make sure you budget for an exterminator and increase your life insurance. You will need it after breathing in all that bug spray on a continual basis. And fleas! We have a dog and in Ohio we rarely ever had to worry about fleas. Here, we fight them all year long - it never stops. So, paying for flea control (Advantage) at $75.00 every 6 months for 1 dog - add that to your budget. And because Florida is the geriatric state, finding a contractor or anyone to actually come to your house is almost impossible. They will make an appt with you and then never show up or even call. They just go fishing! Seriously!! The stores all close at 5:00 and the town folds up. Except for tourist season - obviously, but then its difficult to get anywhere in your car. The traffic lights are incredibly long, so if you get stopped, take out your knitting because you are going to be there for awhile. And wages - I get paid twice as much in Ohio than I get down here and the housing here is twice as high as it is in Dayton.6) Anything else you want to say? Pretty much, if you like giant cockroaches, lots of bugs, tourists, long traffic lights, low pay, a house you can't possibly afford, green trees year round (I miss the leaves changing colors in the fall) and can do your own handyman activities - then Florida is the place for you! For me, I just want to go home. (The grass isn't greener on the other side - we can't even grow real grass here - its weeds!)

Old 07-16-2008, 05:31 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,455,213 times
Actually, for all I've dissed on Ohio, Florida would be worse. I've been, and once you get off the beach..pfffft...

I can see there are less visible negatives to living there, from the above post.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:30 AM

36 posts, read 96,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameslan View Post
1) .6) Anything else you want to say? Pretty much, if you like giant cockroaches, lots of bugs, tourists, long traffic lights, low pay, a house you can't possibly afford, green trees year round (I miss the leaves changing colors in the fall) and can do your own handyman activities - then Florida is the place for you! For me, I just want to go home. (The grass isn't greener on the other side - we can't even grow real grass here - its weeds!)
Thanks for the post, my wife has family in the FWB area and we are seriously considering moving down to the FWB Destin area, maybe Navarre in the next couple of years and your post had diffently given us some of the negatives of the area to think about, of course we already knew about the traffic being one of the "tourists" ourselfs and I thought about the bugs. But from what I've been seening online the homes are actually coming down in price in the area. Thanks to the housing bubble bust.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:48 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,223,254 times
TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location:
n/a
2) Why do you want to leave or have left?:
I lived in DC and moved for career choice to Detroit...that was a huge mistake. My job moved me back to Ohio. Main reason is that seeing other cities you understand why Ohio will fail...poor planning and development
3) Where outside of Ohio and why:
1. Seattle- tech jobs galore, better climate believe or not and city/state that understands how to use nature to market city.
4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices:
raleigh, back to DC
5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:
waiting for the right job...but i'm aggressively looking
Columbus sort of gets it...until these cities focus on developing and encouraging all these young college educated people to stay the state will continue to decline....the mindset needs to change from whining about no jobs to starting your own business...Look at Austin and what one guy did for the entire city (Dell)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio