Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 05:05 AM

65 posts, read 253,394 times

Advertisements

1) Current or former Ohio location:
Canton (aka Purgatory) & North Lima (aka Hell)
2) Why do you want to leave or have left:
hmm...so many actually-- lack of viable jobs, the un-progressiveness, the joke that many of the schools have become adn the way the public funding system thereof, the underlying (in some cases, obvious) racism, the dispassionate attitudes about social issues (as if we were the only place in the world and how special we are!), if you are a vegan/vegetarian (pretty much any type of "different"--you are screwed), oh...and the crummy weather...
3) Where outside of Ohio:
most likely west to Oregon, Washington State, Arizona, or Colorado. if out of the country? Toronto, ON, Canada
4) 2nd & 3rd Place Choices:
read the above answer
5) What's currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?
my finances (too poor to stay, too poor to leave conundrum) & family issues are the major thing. close to those are getting side-tracked by guys who for some ungodly reason, love this godforsaken place
6) Anything else to say?
i have a shirt i had made in Toronto when i was there. it says simply in lovely script: OHIO SUCKS. my 4 year old wears it and now even knows what it says. my stepdaughter loves it and says that is the truth. i will warn them continually never to stay in this state too long once they are able to leave. the air of complacency will suck the passion to LIVE right out of you and replace it with the air just to EXIST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 03:04 PM

107 posts, read 357,165 times
TELL IT LIKE IT IS

Cincinnati - Much to do if your younger than 30
West Chester - Crime had raised 400% in the past 4 years
Lebanon - BORING AS HELL

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?:
Better paying jobs
Better weather
Cleaner air for sure..Cincy to Dayton is the worse areas to live in if you have Allergies.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why:
SW Michigan because the land is beautiful, the Lake is AWESOME and any lake I have visited in the past was CLEAR to the bottom.
Pay is by far better and people are very nice there.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices:
Chicago - Hugh and too much to do in 6 nights
Ludington Michigan - small town and away from all the crap

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:
Wife and house but I'm working on the job part of the issue if Whirlpool hired me this coming week!

6) Anything else you want to say?

No wonder Woody never returned to Lebanon, this place sucks, it's boring and there is really nothing to do here. Taxes have gone up way too much for such a small town that really offers nothing to it's people.
The school had a short fall in money a few years ago due to somebody mis-managing funds(criminal) but no charges applied(maybe more in Government knew about it?) so they raise the taxes on peoples homes?!!
Sorry but this town sucks and I don't see it getting any better so I am out of here the first chance I get!

St.Joseph Michigan is the home for me!

Old 07-20-2008, 04:50 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,088,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post

The school had a short fall in money a few years ago due to somebody mis-managing funds(criminal) but no charges applied(maybe more in Government knew about it?) so they raise the taxes on peoples homes?!!

I know it's off topic, but this happened a few years back in Beavercreek (God Bless our current treasurer who fixed the problem quickly)! The people wanted the treasurer at the time sued and charged with something (not sure if it was criminal though), but her contract got in the way of that and she got off scott clean, severance pay and all! If anything, I have to say I hate the bureaucartic crap that is Ohio. However, I'm also aware it occurs in many other places out of state.

Last edited by wrightflyer; 07-20-2008 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 07-20-2008, 08:03 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
We're leaving Medina Co. because of job change and to be nearer to the grandchildren. We really love it here and know several families who moved south and are dying to get back to Ohio. Any state has it's good and bad points. Parts of Ohio have foundered, but on the whole it's been a great place to raise a family.
We will probably even miss the snow.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:04 AM

12 posts, read 69,462 times
1) Current Location: Preble County

2) Why do you want to leave: I guess like a lot of people that grew up here I always wondered how life would be somewhere else. Not to
mention the crappy weather here.

3) Where outside of Ohio: North Carolina

4) Second and third choices: Arizona (I thought) and maybe Utah

5) What's currently holding you back: Family

6) Anything else to say: I think that life is what you make it. My mom
just moved back here to Ohio from Arizona. The town that she lived
in had declined much worse in the last couple of years. She had to
leave her house (rented it) to be able to come back here (for family
reasons) because the market had dropped in the housing market
there. Someday she'll have to try to get rid of it. Crime has risen
because of the laws put down against the illegals. When hungry,
one steals and does harm. I was out there last year and I've never
seen so many homeless people. I think it's bad everywhere. Also, I
noticed a lot of people really putting the poor, uneducated and I
believe fat down. Every heard of till one walks in another's shoes?
Not everyone has the same breaks in life as you or I might have had.
I guess my feelings on that is from my midwest hillbilly Ohio
upbringing. Which for some reason now makes me proud to be from
Southwest Ohio.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:22 PM

24 posts, read 71,093 times

Toledo

Better snow. Better sun. Better air. Better downtown. Better job. Better hobbies. Better friendships (but no one will replace my Toledo friends). Better relationships. Better bars. Better concerts. Better food. Better health. Better lifestyle.

Denver

DC and Portland

I took the plunge a month ago!

Although I miss my family and friends, getting out of the midwest is the best thing I could have done at this point in my life. Everyone else my age is ready to settle down and pop out babies, but I decided to go experience more of life before I even think of doing that business. I still have to travel to Europe..

Old 08-21-2008, 07:29 AM

414 posts, read 1,010,251 times
TELL IT LIKE IT IS

NW Ohio...small town
We haven't left yet...but here's why. Very little job opportunities in my husband and my job fields (education), I'm even willing to work some other job outsied my degree area (well, it will be completed this year), we need a change...Ohio is very "blah" for a young married couple. We don't mind the weather terribly, but just want something different.
Geez...this could go on and on if I allowed it. Portland, Maine...Lexington, KY (we like the city-atmosphere, but also the nice rolling hills, and hey...I'd like a small farm, with a horse someday!)
Really...these could be about dead even with the above since we JUST started looking...DC, Atlanta, Charleston SC, Annapolis MD, or somewhere surrounded by beautiful landscape in Montana...we're pretty much up for anything as you can see!!! Even NYC would be fun...but no more than a year IMO.
Well, I have a year left of college, we need to save money, A LOT of family is back here, which would be hard to leave and Ohio is where we both grew up. We grew up in the same town, went to HS and College together, and even though we get bored and want change it is just as "scarey" to relocate as it is exciting. There are a lot of emotions involved. Also, while Ohio has a lot of problems and jobs are scarce and the pay isn't great (AT ALL) for teachers...I do like my state...it's home. I don't think it is AS BAD as some people have described it.

6) Anything else you want to say?[/quote]
I think eventually, if the economy gets better, we will probably decide to raise our family here when we decide to take that route...but if things don't improve, we would most likely just stay put. I'm hoping Ohio is just in a "slump" and that everything begins to get better, but I just don't see that happening in the near future...we are young and we can't just sit around, twiddling our thumbs, waiting for change.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:36 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,547,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

Former Summit County (Akron, Manchester and Cuyahoga Falls)

I left an excellent job in Akron, to move to Concord NC (the center of Nascar), because my only child had moved there...because he couldn't find a job anywhere in Summit county, even with a 2 year college degree and a tech school degree/licenses.

Concord NC, (I HATE NORTH CAROLINA) where my son is.
then to Fort Mill SC (I LIKE SC MUCH BETTER) because my employer is right near the state line of SC and NC, so actually my commute is only 15 minutes to Charlotte NC....you do not WANT to have to drive Charlotte's traffic.

Greenville SC (a very up and coming place)
Retiring to Murrell's Inlet in a few years

N/A

I miss Ohio, I miss neighborhood bars and little diners/grilles. I MISS THE FOOD !! I miss green green green, I miss parks, I miss midwest mentality.
I hate the yuppie mentality and the greedy mentality down here...Bible belt my a** It's all about where you live and what you drive.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:36 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1. Cleveland, Ohio
2. Poor economy, high crime and lousy weather
3. Southern Arizona for abundance of sunshine
4. None
5. Moved 2 years ago and it was the best decision I ever made
6. My only regret is that I didn't move sooner

Old 08-25-2008, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 14,887 times
TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: Small town in SW Ohio

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: I have never wanted to leave. I'm happy here.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: As a small child I lived in KY, GA, AL, VA, WV and CA. I moved to Ohio when I was 7 years old, so I grew up here.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: Ohio is my only choice.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?: I have family and good friends here. I have an excellent job and a beautiful home. I have lived and visited many places, but haven't been sufficiently impressed to move anywhere else.

6) Anything else you want to say? I find that my own attitude and the people I surround myself with affect my happiness more than the location I live. I know people who have moved for "better weather", and they aren't happy where they are now. Let's face it, no matter where you are, you deal with weather of some sort. I love all the seasons in Ohio and take each one as they come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio