Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 03:56 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,926,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
LOL. No way in hell is Cincinnati's climate "subtropical". India - with its monsoons, and average temp of 80 - is subtropical. Florida, and maybe some parts of East Texas, are subtropical. Cincinnati is not subtropical.
You are right but there is a difference between tropical and subtropical. In all the maps that I saw Ohio is 90% the same climate zone. Cincinnati is in the southern part of the humid continental, its about 100 miles north of the humid subtropical climate zone. The humid subtropical is most of the Southeastern US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 04:08 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,719,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
You are right but there is a difference between tropical and subtropical. In all the maps that I saw Ohio is 90% the same climate zone. Cincinnati is in the southern part of the humid continental, its about 100 miles north of the humid subtropical climate zone. The humid subtropical is most of the Southeastern US.
I lived in the Midsouth for a period of time, some of my family still lives there and we (Cincy) is usually 10-15º cooler on average with much less humidity. Just an observation.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:43 PM

422 posts, read 759,073 times
It's a crappy classification system then. For that matter, most of the South up to Atlanta is not that much different from Ohio. I think the real difference is when you enter Florida, and you go past the zone where freezing whether is rare. Once you do that, the plants are much different, the insects are much bigger because they grow year round, everything has a musty smell to it all the time, etc.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:33 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
Say what you will about the names in the classification system, the idea here is that Cincinnati is on the periphery of a different climate from the rest of the state. India is not a part of that climate group.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Subtropworldmap.PNG (broken link)

Old 06-06-2008, 05:26 AM

This past winter, northern Mississippi received snow accumulation in God knows how many years ... just a couple of inches. It's funny because they were so exited and you can find pics of them doing snow angels and sled riding with the grass exposed on some of my family and friends MySpace page. Yes, indeed a rare occurrence for them!

Old 06-06-2008, 01:58 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,926,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
This past winter, northern Mississippi received snow accumulation in God knows how many years ... just a couple of inches. It's funny because they were so exited and you can find pics of them doing snow angels and sled riding with the grass exposed on some of my family and friends MySpace page. Yes, indeed a rare occurrence for them!
Yeah, during that huge snowstorm in March I think they had up to 10 inches of snow all the way south of Little Rock, Arkansas.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:37 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,028,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiptonGuy View Post
I'd like to hear how people would RANK these cities in Ohio, from BEST (favorite).....to worst (least favorite).

When I say city, this also includes the immediate suburbs, of that city.

Please feel free to add another Ohio city, if I didn't include one below:

(in no particular order) 10 cities to rank

Dayton-Springfield
Canton
Toledo
Cleveland
Lima
Columbus
Youngstown
Akron
Marion
Cincinnati
1. Columbus
2. Cincinnati
3 - 10. Take your pick of the remaining and sort in any order! Really CBus & the Nati are the only growing stable areas in the state any more. All the rest of the cities have historically been heavy into manufacturing, therefore have seen steady declines in their economies the past 15 years. I'd probably say Dayton 3 if you made me pick due to it's proximity to CBus & Nati, plus it has a large air force base and 2 decent size universities in UD & Wright State, but even they have had heavy job losses in recent years. Cleveland & Toledo probably 4-5 only b/c they are larger cities and by default will have some opportunities, plus you get the Cavs, Browns & Indians in Cleveland which is a plus. To be honest, don't know a whole lot about Lima & Marion, but I do know they are quite smaller than the rest. I'm originally from Canton, and the area unfortunately continues to go downhill. Just ask all the surrounding suburbs about Youngstown! Not very desirable, Akron doesn't have a whole lot going for it either.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:24 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
I really don't know these cities other than moving from out of state to Dayton a year ago. Dayton has nothing special going for it and several things I don't like (yes I know there are areas where its a great place to raise a family, a baseball team that's fun etc. just like every other town in the country, it has nothing special and several drawbacks).
I like water and nature so just from that perspective I'd probably go with Toledo and Cleveland because of their proximity to Lake Erie. I lived in Cleveland for a year in 1980 and liked it fairly well. Rode the Rapid to work.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:18 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,453,711 times
from just south of dayton to cincinnati is the bluegrass region that goes south and it's it's humid subtropical. the ohio is just a river and made for a sensibly lucrative state line, but the real line should probably be just south of dayton. there's no way cincinnati's climate is continental.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
from just south of dayton to cincinnati is the bluegrass region that goes south and it's it's humid subtropical. the ohio is just a river and made for a sensibly lucrative state line, but the real line should probably be just south of dayton. there's no way cincinnati's climate is continental.
According to Britannica, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh are all "Subtropical" ...

From Britannica:

one of several regions of semipermanent high atmospheric pressure located over the oceans between 20° and 40° of latitude in both the Northern and Southern hemispheres of the Earth. These highs are associated with the subsidence of the Hadley cell and move several degrees of latitude toward the poles in the summer. The circulation around the highs is clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and counterclockwise in the Southern Hemisphere. In both hemispheres, subsidence is greater on the eastern sides of the highs. The subsiding air warms by compression and, coupled with cooling of the lowest layers overlying the cold ocean currents normally found off the west coasts of the continents, forms a pronounced temperature inversion (warm air over cold), called the trade-wind inversion. The inversion acts as a barrier to vertical convection and is largely responsible for the aridity and high frequency of fog found along the west coasts of the subtropical continents, especially in summer.

Latitude and Longitude lines can be found here for comparison:

Cincinnati: Information from Answers.com

Cleveland: Information from Answers.com

Memphis: Information from Answers.com

Miami: Information from Answers.com

Honalo, Hawaii: Information and Much More from Answers.com

subtropical high -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio