Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:46 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,621,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
This is truly good news. My daughter will be very happy. She's been doing some barrel racing at the most recent stable she's been riding at. She did English riding for several years, but didn't like the atmosphere and the continuous training in posture, etc. She just wants to ride for fun, so we switched her to a western stable where she's much happier.
There are a couple of boarding stables out there. Full care boarding will be $300-400 a month at most places. I liked being in a stable sometimes because you meet a lot of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 10:34 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,139 times
IF horses , blue jeans and t shirts are a requisite, than back to the original post concerning the Choctaw, Harrah, Nicoma Park region of the county. Big lots almost acreages, minimal restrictions unless in a development and the streets are easy enough to drive on.
You will be surprised at how much you have to drive as we are really spread out here.
Do stay away from the Bethany, War Acres and Village of NW OKC as they are all in decline and are becoming Ghetto and unkempt.
SW Oklahoma City has a huge Latino gang problem mostly illegals and lots of shootings
So True on Mustang about the drugs there. Edmond is very very very nice and expensive on a working mans wage.
25 years in a squad car for this ole city but its not nearly as bad as it sounds.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:37 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,541 times
Some areas of the NW side are in decline but not all. Most of Bethany is perfectly fine still and some areas of Warr Acres are good yet, NW 63rd and Macarthur, Ann Arbor and 30th, for example. I never go to the Village, so I can't say. And yes, some areas of Bethany and Warr Acres are declining, but there are nice areas remaining that shouldn't be overlooked.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:26 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,845 times
I have family that lives in Nichols Hills which is South of the Village...Sir you are very badley mistaken to even think that the NW side of OKC is in decline. In fact most people would say to only move to the NW side of OKC if they were to move to OKC. Get the facts straight...They are not unkempt.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:35 AM

52 posts, read 219,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Don't hold back. They want advice. lols Mustang is terrible, completely drug ridden. I don't think Yukon is as bad. I live in Yukon, but Mustang schools. Hate them. They were good at one time. Now they are so crowded, and people continue to move here. If Mustang would only build a new High School. They have 5 elementary schools, 2 middle schools, 1 high school. If your child can't keep up, or has other issues, good luck. The teachers cannot handle that. I know a lot of teachers that just hate teaching here now, and are looking elsewhere for jobs. We can't wait to move, but we don't know where to.
What age are your children? I have 3 kids in Mustang Schools and so far we love it. All 3 of ours in grade school specifcally Mustang Valley and I have found it to be a GREAT school. Curious what you're basing your "drug ridden" description on?

Old 12-02-2007, 08:51 AM

Some of the opinions are so crazy on this thread that it almost seems to be purposefully done to attack OKCs image...What a joke. I bet most who make these opinions dont live in or hate OKC. PERIOD. Way to obvious.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:55 AM

Some parts of NW OKC, Bethany, Warr Acres and the Village may be in decline, because the houses are old and small in some of their areas. Also, there are apartments built in the 70s that have not been good and mostly are all Sec. 8. There are still nice and affordable areas in all of these places. Many areas of NW OKC are very nice. Not everyone can afford to live in $200K houses in gated communities.

I have read comments on the forum that in OK you have one nice expensive block of houses or a nice house on an acreage, and the next block or acreage is a little cheap block of houses or an old trailer. I never really saw that, but now I think it is somewhat true. Maybe not the next block, but close. Some of the nicest areas are close to some shabby areas, but I never saw that as a problem. Like NW 63rd & MacArthur (nice), go 1 mile and you are at NW 63rd and Rockwell (shabby). 50th and Ann Arbor to 50th & Vermont is another example.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:13 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,139 times
Nichols Hills and South Village is NOT Fringe Bethany and Warr Acres. I do have my facts straight.
Those communities a are in economic decline. Their orignal citizens are dying off, the houses are going rental with a large percentage of attendant problems.
They are having to reduce their public service staff and have actually talked to OKC to consider police and fie protection.
Having lived in this ole city since 1959 I think I can properly observe the decline in areas.
The problem..................revenue. Sales tax is about the only thing that cities in Oklahoma have to survive on other that water utility.
The businesses move to the popular places, like Edmond, Midwest city, Norman, Mustang and Moore. The people of the others cities are then forced to or choose to flock to the newest malls and shopping power centers and those few communities then benefit from the huge increase in operation revenue at the expense of, the rest of the metro area.
As the revenue declines, services for that community begin to suffer. To make ends meet the cities are then forced to cut cost.... further service decline.....that results in a further revenue decline as the people with money than move out and convert their house to rental...........which results in a further decline in service as a result in creased cost dealing with code enforcement... Its a vicious circle..

Old 12-02-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Some of the opinions are so crazy on this thread that it almost seems to be purposefully done to attack OKCs image...What a joke. I bet most who make these opinions dont live in or hate OKC. PERIOD. Way to obvious.
I have lived in NW OKC near NW 57th & Vermont, May & Britton, NW 19th & Penn, NW 11th & Villa, NW 23rd & Portland, and NW 63rd between Meridian & MacArthur, and then SE OKC near SE 149th & Harrah Road. Plus I have had friends and family live almost all over OKC. Plus I have had jobs in many areas of OKC. In all these areas I have had a few thefts and burglaries over the years, but nothing serious. Same with friends and family. Edmond, Moore, Yukon, and Mustang have crime too.

There are nice areas and not so nice areas all over town. Some people like to promote their suburb over OKC, so they can. It is not realistic to portray all of OKC as some kind of slum though, and the less expensive areas are not anything like the slums of big cities that I have seen, like in Chicago, St Louis, and Dallas.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Nichols Hills and South Village is NOT Fringe Bethany and Warr Acres. I do have my facts straight.
Those communities a are in economic decline. Their orignal citizens are dying off, the houses are going rental with a large percentage of attendant problems.
They are having to reduce their public service staff and have actually talked to OKC to consider police and fie protection.
Having lived in this ole city since 1959 I think I can properly observe the decline in areas.
The problem..................revenue. Sales tax is about the only thing that cities in Oklahoma have to survive on other that water utility.
The businesses move to the popular places, like Edmond, Midwest city, Norman, Mustang and Moore. The people of the others cities are then forced to or choose to flock to the newest malls and shopping power centers and those few communities then benefit from the huge increase in operation revenue at the expense of, the rest of the metro area.
As the revenue declines, services for that community begin to suffer. To make ends meet the cities are then forced to cut cost.... further service decline.....that results in a further revenue decline as the people with money than move out and convert their house to rental...........which results in a further decline in service as a result in creased cost dealing with code enforcement... Its a vicious circle..

Opinions are opinions and I will leave it at that...I just felt you went overboard. Have a good day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City