Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2018, 02:41 AM

156 posts, read 163,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I could stand it as a kid but now that I am old, no way. In FL the water on the East Coast is "warm" but it is still "cool" when you enter it compared to the air temp. So FL not so much but I am in Central coastal FL. Better than Baja for sure. Plus the air quality here is wayyyyy better than SoCal even on the coast.

Look at Newport for example.

Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 129. This is significantly worse than average.
[LEFT]
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Newpor...#ixzz5JxwkV21F

Now where I am in FL it is way below that and even below the upper limit for good air which is 50.

Newport's average is over 2 and 1/2 times the upper limit and almost 4 times worse than where I am.

While the wages are lower in some fields the rent and prices of SFH is so much lower than in SoCal, except Miami and a few other areas of So Fl that for many living here is not hard at all. Millennial's can do far better here and along the space coast good jobs are growing. Jacksonville is also doing well for work.

I love CA as a a State but not what it has become, and will be there for 2 weeks in July (I own 3 business in CA), and will enjoy it, ... and then go home.
[/LEFT]
Ah, I see. So it's really more about air quality & cheaper cost of living more than anything else that drives you to live in FL.

Do you have respiratory problems? Do you have problems breathing when you're in CA?

TBH, I've never had any problems with the air in SD or OC. But then again, where I live the air quality is not so good since it's an agriculture community and there is heavy use of pesticides. I had asthma as a kid, but I have no respiratory problems as an adult.

I know air quality has improved over the years in CA, but there's still a ways to go. My prediction is that air quality is going get SIGNIFICANTLY better as gasoline cars start to become phased out and electric technology becomes the standard. The majority of air pollution in CA is from gasoline vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 09:58 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,426,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedAlpha View Post
Ah, I see. So it's really more about air quality & cheaper cost of living more than anything else that drives you to live in FL.

Do you have respiratory problems? Do you have problems breathing when you're in CA?

TBH, I've never had any problems with the air in SD or OC. But then again, where I live the air quality is not so good since it's an agriculture community and there is heavy use of pesticides. I had asthma as a kid, but I have no respiratory problems as an adult.

I know air quality has improved over the years in CA, but there's still a ways to go. My prediction is that air quality is going get SIGNIFICANTLY better as gasoline cars start to become phased out and electric technology becomes the standard. The majority of air pollution in CA is from gasoline vehicles.
Yes I now have respiratory problems from living in CA as a child and a young adult and they did not show up. Now they are. My wife can see the difference between where we lived in SoCal and here. Much better now. The lower cost of living is just a bonus as I can afford to buy and live in CA with no real problem. It just wasn't worth it health wise. We are actually doing more here than we did when living in SoCal, Easy beach access and more restaurants than we can get too and events all the time.

The air quality is not really improving as bad air backs up against the mountains as it always did. Too many people and less cars burning gas will not really have an impact in our lifetimes. I am glad to hear you have no respiratory problems now, but that can change as it did for me just about 3 years ago. Not bad yet and I did not want it to get worse so chose FL over coastal SoCal. A good choice for me. Hope you do well.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:47 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,159,399 times
Quote:
Yes I now have respiratory problems from living in CA as a child and a young adult and they did not show up. Now they are. My wife can see the difference between where we lived in SoCal and here. Much better now. The lower cost of living is just a bonus as I can afford to buy and live in CA with no real problem. It just wasn't worth it health wise. We are actually doing more here than we did when living in SoCal, Easy beach access and more restaurants than we can get too and events all the time.

The air quality is not really improving as bad air backs up against the mountains as it always did. Too many people and less cars burning gas will not really have an impact in our lifetimes. I am glad to hear you have no respiratory problems now, but that can change as it did for me just about 3 years ago. Not bad yet and I did not want it to get worse so chose FL over coastal SoCal. A good choice for me. Hope you do well.
Since much (but not all) of Newport sits at the very edge of the Los Angeles basin, it must get a large amount of Los Angeles pollution. Obviously air currents change and this could explain Newport's air quality. I suspect that being 10+ miles further south and in the San Joaquin hills might insulate us from the Los Angeles basin air.

Obviously when we get Santa Ana winds, everything changes and it blows pollution towards the coast.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Since much (but not all) of Newport sits at the very edge of the Los Angeles basin, it must get a large amount of Los Angeles pollution. Obviously air currents change and this could explain Newport's air quality. I suspect that being 10+ miles further south and in the San Joaquin hills might insulate us from the Los Angeles basin air.

Obviously when we get Santa Ana winds, everything changes and it blows pollution towards the coast.
Laguna Niguel:
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 123. This is significantly worse than average.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Laguna...#ixzz5K3CbmeRR

Laguna Hills:
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 123. This is significantly worse than average.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Laguna...#ixzz5K3C0nlsL

San Clemente:

Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 105. This is significantly worse than average.
City:105U.S.:75

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Cl...#ixzz5K3BoAuVH

Even further south.

Oceanside:
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 147. This is significantly worse than average.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Oceans...#ixzz5K3CxtN8C

Under 50 is considered good. Above 51 to 100 is considered moderate (Still not good) and Over 100 ius definitely bad. I checked all the way up and down in SoCal and unless right on the beach it is bad and even on the beach at times it is bad. Where I am the figure is ...... 37 most of the time. The figure given for it like the others is

Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 49.0. This is significantly better than average.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/New-Sm...#ixzz5K3E3X9XI

as an example today:

Air Quality Index (AQI)
observed at 19:00 EDT 23 Good

Old 07-01-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Laguna Niguel:

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Laguna...#ixzz5K3CbmeRR

Laguna Hills:

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Laguna...#ixzz5K3C0nlsL

San Clemente:

Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 105. This is significantly worse than average.
City:105U.S.:75

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Cl...#ixzz5K3BoAuVH

Even further south.

Oceanside:
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 147. This is significantly worse than average.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Oceans...#ixzz5K3CxtN8C

Under 50 is considered good. Above 51 to 100 is considered moderate (Still not good) and Over 100 ius definitely bad. I checked all the way up and down in SoCal and unless right on the beach it is bad and even on the beach at times it is bad. Where I am the figure is ...... 37 most of the time. The figure given for it like the others is

Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 49.0. This is significantly better than average.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/New-Sm...#ixzz5K3E3X9XI

as an example today:

Air Quality Index (AQI)
observed at 19:00 EDT 23 Good

That's strange. These are the numbers I got when I looked it up for July 1st, 2018...

LAGUNA NIGUEL

AQI=40

LAGUNA HILLS

AQI=39

SAN CLEMENTE

AQI=40

OCEANSIDE

AQI=32

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, FL

AQI=31

What am I missing here?

Old 07-01-2018, 09:25 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,159,399 times
Quote:
That's strange. These are the numbers I got when I looked it up for July 1st, 2018...

LAGUNA NIGUEL

AQI=40

LAGUNA HILLS

AQI=39

SAN CLEMENTE

AQI=40

OCEANSIDE

AQI=32

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, FL

AQI=31

What am I missing here?
I noticed the same thing using WeatherBug.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:

LAGUNA NIGUEL

AQI=40

LAGUNA HILLS

AQI=39

SAN CLEMENTE

AQI=40

OCEANSIDE

AQI=32

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, FL

AQI=31

What am I missing here?
Those are the conditions for the day. The figures I gave are a view of the whole year.

Air quality in CA is flat our bad, but some days will be Ok. Kinda like having a migraine once in a blue moon. Not a big deal, but if just about every day, with an occasional day with no pain, then there is a problem. The air also changes throughout the day and can move from good to bad. I watched this just about every day for over a year and it ain't good. Bums me out, but it is not unexpected. Ever fly into CA and not see a bad blanket of air over just about everywhere. Note; looking up you don't see it and looking down you do.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:02 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,191,331 times
Quote:
Those are the conditions for the day. The figures I gave are a view of the whole year.

Air quality in CA is flat our bad, but some days will be Ok. Kinda like having a migraine once in a blue moon. Not a big deal, but if just about every day, with an occasional day with no pain, then there is a problem. The air also changes throughout the day and can move from good to bad. I watched this just about every day for over a year and it ain't good. Bums me out, but it is not unexpected. Ever fly into CA and not see a bad blanket of air over just about everywhere. Note; looking up you don't see it and looking down you do.
A year ago I was flying into John Wayne. Next to me was a guy from Georgia coming here for vacation. He looked out the window shocked and asked me why is everything so brown?? What's that haze in the air?? I just shrugged my shoulders and said We're in a drought and that's smog. Welcome to CA....

Old 07-02-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
A year ago I was flying into John Wayne. Next to me was a guy from Georgia coming here for vacation. He looked out the window shocked and asked me why is everything so brown?? What's that haze in the air?? I just shrugged my shoulders and said We're in a drought and that's smog. Welcome to CA....
Yep, every time I fly into Ontario, LA or SD same blanket of smog visible from above.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:

I think the problem is that the stats that you provided are outdated. It's from 5 years ago and air quality has gotten better since then.

These are the stats I got directly from the EPA website about Orange County, CA in 2017.

AQI MEDIAN FOR THE YEAR=52
#DAYS GOOD=148
#DAYS MODERATE=185
#DAYS UNHEALTHY FOR SENSITIVE GROUPS=30
#DAYS UNHEALTHY=2
#DAYS VERY UNHEALTHY=0

https://www.epa.gov/outdoor-air-qual...y-index-report

So the majority of the air quality throughout the year in OC for 2017 was either good or moderate. I also noticed the further North you go up the coast, the better the air quality gets.

Santa Barbara had 247 good AQI days. Monterey had 304 good AQI days.

On a positive note, according to NASA satellite imaging, air quality has gotten significantly better in the the Southland, CA over a 15 year period due to certain laws and programs put in place.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County