Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 08:50 AM

5 posts, read 14,742 times

Advertisements

Most everyone I have met has been great!
Guess it depends on you!

Old 01-31-2008, 11:20 AM

29 posts, read 92,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor girl View Post
After reading about all the gloom in Northern Oregon, I'm not sure if Portland will be a good place to live. Our Transfering choices are Portland, Bend, Eugene, Medford, Roseburg and Salem. Now, just because we come from Los Angeles, doesn't mean we are sun worshipers. The Summers here have reached 106 and Winters get as cold as 34. We really could do without the heat, but at the same time don't want freezing temps in the Winters everyday.

We have vacationed quite a bit in Oregon. We have been to Gold Beach- alone the Rogue River, Oregon Dunes, Diamond and Crater Lake and Klamath Falls. All which we love and helped to make our decision to move to Oregon. We are an Outdoor loving family. We need lots of trees and streams to go fishing. Rain doesn't bother us. I'd rather have rain than snow since my husband drives class A trucks. It's just all the "depression" stories that is making us think twice about Portland. We are looking to feel safe and enjoy a good quality of life. All opinions/comments are appreciated.
Bend is a real nice town,has lots of shopping and would not be a big culture shock as some smaller towns would be.jmo

Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantzn View Post
I hear what you're saying as I grew up in San Diego and just had to get away from that environment. I have a ton of hobbies and have always had a positive attitude. But the rain and gloom of western WA is getting to me. I like the Medford area and have been looking to buy there for a future move and can't believe how the housing costs have shot up in the last 2 years! That sucks because you have always been able to buy at reasonable prices in these 2 states. It's also happening here in Olympia. I just can't EVEN imagine moving back to San Diego. I'd miss the mountains.
i felt the same way until i looked at the price of homes in socal small house bought for 30k now sells for 300k houses are still a bargain in oregon.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
Apparently I'm living in the wrong part of Oregon!! I adore cowboys, and havent seen a single one, educated or otherwise, in several years now.And I have lived here almost my entire life. Not since I went to the Penalton Roundup Rodeo about 6yrs back have I seen men in cowboy attire and attitude. Please do, direct me to all these cowboys.
As for the backwood hicks, Im sure our local Walmart has a fair share. None are armed though, and I do count that as a blessing. There is a local one I know, and he and his family bring us an abundance of fresh fruits and veggies from their garden, free of pestisides and other unnatural substances. He does this out of the goodness of his heart and his want to share with his neighbors/friends. Should I shun him though, since he doesnt have a college education? He drives a second hand car, has some dents in it, he favors jeans and sweatshirts, and I doubt he owns any article of clothing that cost him over $100.00. Does this make him less of a person?
Today, I am looking out my window at a sparking blue bay. The sun is shining and only a slight breeze. Its been like this for quite awhile now. Ive had to go out and water my plants because of the lack of rain. I didnt even realize it was so "Gloomy" here.
Oh yes, there are a lot of spanish speaking mexicans here. Almost as many of them as there are snotty,self serving, worthless, idiots from Southern California who moved up here, pushed our housing prices up, and do nothing but complain.
Personally, AeroAngel, I wish you'd move back to southern california too. You obviously can/wont see the good that is here in Oregon and we dont need people like you. Good luck in moving back.
Tiffany
eastern oregon is cowboy country,Pendleton roundup is good gathering for cowboys.things are changing slowly in eastern oregon,less and less trucks with gun racks and guns,not a real good thing i think.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:18 AM

24 posts, read 111,468 times
Smile Southern Cal to Oregon

I have been in Oregon since 1999 and absolutly LOVE IT!. We live in W. Eugene and it has everything anyone could want. Fishing, camping, shopping, wonderful weather, Friendly people, all types of eating establishments from fast foods to fine dining *whatever hits your fancy*, entertainment for seniors and family orientated families and only 1 hour from the beach.
We bought a home here just recently as we finally found a place that really makes us HAPPY and VERY CONTENT!
Transplants are always welcome here...just come with a smile on your face and join the fun of Eugene.

Your friend Dave and Cindy

Old 02-01-2008, 08:35 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
"Oh yes, there are a lot of spanish speaking mexicans here. Almost as many of them as there are snotty,self serving, worthless, idiots from Southern California who moved up here, pushed our housing prices up, and do nothing but complain.
Personally, AeroAngel, I wish you'd move back to southern california too. You obviously can/wont see the good that is here in Oregon and we dont need people like you. Good luck in moving back.
Tiffany"

Oh crap, I need to eat my words back,dont I? I wrote this forever longtime ago, and didnt bother to read it over when i was done....I have to say, that rant was directed to a certain person, and I am so sorry for how incredibly rude and gerneralizing that was!!! Oh my gosh...(my face is soooo red!!!) That was really bad...Im sorry!!!!

Oregon is a terrific place to live, most people dont care where the heck you came from. Its like the rest of America, a big ole mix of folks who have lived in other places, anywhere from across the street from their childhood home, to across the world from it. Hardly anyone will give a rip about where your from, unless they are curious about your previous state/country, or maybe have friends/family from there too. The only thing that will get most Oregonians backs up, is if you start going on and on and on about how terrific your previous state was and how awful Oregon is. That doesnt tend to go over well....of course, that wont go over well no matter WHERE you go! Im sure if I moved to Utah and started gushing about how much better Oregon is, Id be getting some cold shoulders.
so anyhoooo, come on over, Oregon is a terrific state with a lot to offer and some real good people here.
Tiffany

Old 02-06-2008, 01:02 PM

4 posts, read 10,022 times
Whether or not the lack of sunshine in winter affects you is a very individual issue. If you spend time outdoors in winter, you will probably not be affected by depression. It is much easier to deal with winter weather by putting on the appropriate clothing than it is to make unbearably hot summer weather cooler! We definately have the most ideal summers on the planet here, and plenty of winter sports too.
Marybeth

Old 02-07-2008, 11:14 AM

312 posts, read 1,519,725 times
sorry but cali is nicer

Old 02-07-2008, 12:23 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
that would depend on what you are looking for...but many people prefer Oregon.
Both states have much to offer
I would never be so rude as to go on the California board and post what you did about Oregon. I dont see where that is helpful to anyone.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:39 PM

312 posts, read 1,519,725 times
Well,sorry For This Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon