Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:29 PM

31 posts, read 180,140 times

Advertisements

Oh, and the housing prices have left cost of living in the dust. Most people here are lucky if they make $8/hr, but can't fina an apartment for less than $700/mo or buy a house for less than $150K (you get a run down crack house or this price - haha). If you don't have a good job, you will have to live w/ two other people who work full time just to survive.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:37 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinflorida View Post
Oh, and the housing prices have left cost of living in the dust. Most people here are lucky if they make $8/hr, but can't fina an apartment for less than $700/mo or buy a house for less than $150K (you get a run down crack house or this price - haha). If you don't have a good job, you will have to live w/ two other people who work full time just to survive.
He/she ain't lying. The cost of living in Fla FAR exceeds what people make. Disney pays a mighty $7.75/h to start... most jobs you are used to paying $50,0000 in your home state here pay $30,000 tops. Why? Because we have way more people and avilable workers than good-paying jobs.

Furthermore, in Orlando, a non-ghetoo apt (1/1 studio) starts at $1,000/mo, so I am not sure how you will pay for that. A $260,000 house will be lovely... drugdealers selling drugs on your front lawn, loud Spanish music at 3am daily, and of course gunshots and home invasions will be the "talk of the 'hood" every week.

Did I mention how bad the crime is in Orlando?? Well, it's Detroit bad. Maybe worse. We have New Orleans people and illegals aliens all armed to the teeth with Mexican-"imported" guns and selling drugs on the street corners without any fear at all. It's great.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:45 PM

31 posts, read 180,140 times
Default ugh that friggin music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
He/she ain't lying. The cost of living in Fla FAR exceeds what people make. Disney pays a mighty $7.75/h to start... most jobs you are used to paying $50,0000 in your home state here pay $30,000 tops. Why? Because we have way more people and avilable workers than good-paying jobs.

Furthermore, in Orlando, a non-ghetoo apt (1/1 studio) starts at $1,000/mo, so I am not sure how you will pay for that. A $260,000 house will be lovely... drugdealers selling drugs on your front lawn, loud Spanish music at 3am daily, and of course gunshots and home invasions will be the "talk of the 'hood" every week.

Did I mention how bad the crime is in Orlando?? Well, it's Detroit bad. Maybe worse. We have New Orleans people and illegals aliens all armed to the teeth with Mexican-"imported" guns and selling drugs on the street corners without any fear at all. It's great.
yeah, the damn reggaetone is so loud, you might as well be sleeping outside of Roxy's on a wednesday night. My mom calls it the "rhumba rhumba music" lol! So do you think we are already up ther w/ Detroit? My aunt in a small town in MO complains about seeing 2 or 3 murders on the St. Louis news every night. I told her Orlando is just as bad now.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:11 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,674 times
hustla 718 ....why dont you bring me some facts not just what your head and your friends tell you

Old 06-18-2007, 03:14 PM

oh ...watch cocaine cowboys too....if you get tha chance....i guess those people didnt need puerto rico to ship thier drugs ....the most cocaine in the world flowed right through miami not puerto rico or new york.....so get out of this up north mentality cuz all your cocaine usually comes from "the south" my boy....tell me what puerto rico produces or New York City since you love NYC thug life so much...yall battle to ship stuff outa there all tha time right? ....lol

Old 06-18-2007, 11:06 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
hustla 718 ....why dont you bring me some facts not just what your head and your friends tell you
Friends huh. If you only knew what I do for a living. Let me shut you the hell up since the mods haven't come around to banning you yet.

-

Orlando, Florida:

Size: 101 sq mi (261.5 km²)

Homicides 2005: 22 (But i'll give you guys 30+ since there was a bad year) City seems to average between 15-20 homicides per year.

Estimated population in July 2005: 213,223. City grows about 2% per year on average.

Per Capita Income: $21,216

Photo's of low income Orlando, Florida:

Run down house.

Thoughts... Orlando, Florida does have it's problems.

-

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Size: City 76.9 sq mi (199.24 km²)

Homicides: 220 (down vs the 90's, More to do with the gov't fudging then murders going down)

Estimated population: 434,374

Per Capita Income: $12,437

Photo's of low income San Juan, Puerto Rico:

Shantytown.

Public housing projects.

Thoughts... Puerto Rico is in bad shape. The gov't shut down a year ago The police dept is very corrupt. The gov't LIVES off corruption. Drugs have taken the island by storm. Especially the San Juan metro, Ponce metro, and small poor towns. Poverty is rampid.

The reality is, Orlando is a step up from Puerto Rico. A good move.

Last edited by Hustla718; 06-19-2007 at 12:03 AM..

Old 06-19-2007, 01:20 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post

Public housing projects.

Thoughts... Puerto Rico is in bad shape. The gov't shut down a year ago The police dept is very corrupt. The gov't LIVES off corruption. Drugs have taken the island by storm. Especially the San Juan metro, Ponce metro, and small poor towns. Poverty is rampid.

The reality is, Orlando is a step up from Puerto Rico. A good move.
Yes, orlando compared to PR is friggin paradise. No wonder 65% of the Puerto Ricans live in the US and NOT in Puerto Rico! The only "riches" you have in Puerto "Rico" is the name.

BUT that is not to say Orlando is not on a doward spiral, going down out of control and with no signs of stopping going downhill.

The apt complex you photographed is completely disgusting. I have seen it off of I-4 and this one grooming lady that worked for my mom had an apt there and she said it's door slamming all night, women screaming, kids crying for hours and no one comes to attend them... walls are paper thin, you hear toilets from 3 floors above... cops are there daily and undercover cops scope the area constantly because of the heavy traffic of drugs and stolen goods in the building. And of course gunshots are a monthly "treat" and if you have kids, they get bullied/robbed/beaten all the time if they are of a different race... Oh the "entertaining part" of living at that gov't apt complex are these very large African American women hit these skinny African American males and you have to call the cops because the women won't stop hitting the guys and sometimes the guy cries (no kidding, I have heard real stories in that building).... well the last item is normal in NYC from what I hear, but it is not cultural to FL... well it's begining to be....

Overall, if you live in a ghetto in PR, Orlando will be much better and if you tell social services people you are in the USA illegally, man you will get TON of social services. More than you would if you are here legally (or in your case, since you are a US National due to PR birth). Also you canm get free healthcare if you are here illegally... a total joke.

But really Orlando has gotten considerably worse in terms of crime, drugs, illegal guns on the street, women getting kidnapped while jogging or at the bus stop, high rent, illegals w/o insurance or a license killing families in traffic and doing hit-and-runs, horrible job market for any jobs that pay more than $9/h.... The last few years have been bad for Orlando and as I said it "dunnt" look like it is getting any better....

Old 06-19-2007, 02:21 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Yes, orlando compared to PR is friggin paradise. No wonder 65% of the Puerto Ricans live in the US and NOT in Puerto Rico! The only "riches" you have in Puerto "Rico" is the name.

BUT that is not to say Orlando is not on a doward spiral, going down out of control and with no signs of stopping going downhill.

The apt complex you photographed is completely disgusting. I have seen it off of I-4 and this one grooming lady that worked for my mom had an apt there and she said it's door slamming all night, women screaming, kids crying for hours and no one comes to attend them... walls are paper thin, you hear toilets from 3 floors above... cops are there daily and undercover cops scope the area constantly because of the heavy traffic of drugs and stolen goods in the building. And of course gunshots are a monthly "treat" and if you have kids, they get bullied/robbed/beaten all the time if they are of a different race... Oh the "entertaining part" of living at that gov't apt complex are these very large African American women hit these skinny African American males and you have to call the cops because the women won't stop hitting the guys and sometimes the guy cries (no kidding, I have heard real stories in that building).... well the last item is normal in NYC from what I hear, but it is not cultural to FL... well it's begining to be....

Overall, if you live in a ghetto in PR, Orlando will be much better and if you tell social services people you are in the USA illegally, man you will get TON of social services. More than you would if you are here legally (or in your case, since you are a US National due to PR birth). Also you canm get free healthcare if you are here illegally... a total joke.

But really Orlando has gotten considerably worse in terms of crime, drugs, illegal guns on the street, women getting kidnapped while jogging or at the bus stop, high rent, illegals w/o insurance or a license killing families in traffic and doing hit-and-runs, horrible job market for any jobs that pay more than $9/h.... The last few years have been bad for Orlando and as I said it "dunnt" look like it is getting any better....
You are thinking of the wrong complex. That photograph is of public housing in Puerto Rico. Not Orlando. To my knowledge Orlando does not even have high rise city public housing. You are probably talking about some buildings in Orlando over run with low income residents.

Never said Orlando didn't have it's problems. It does like any other city in the USA. However from a violence standpoint (and overall quality of life), Orlando is the better choice. Puerto Rico is just dealing with too many issues.

Last edited by Hustla718; 06-19-2007 at 03:34 AM..

Old 06-19-2007, 04:31 AM

Nice pic of the one in Orlando...obviously you took that one way out in Apopka or somewhere that is not near the Orlando Projects.....you took the worst pic from Puerto Rico and put it against an average Orlando house pic....i lived in a house kinda like that over near Semoran and Lake Underhill in a quite community....too bad you couldnt get pics of the real bad area of Orlando or Miami to compare things

Old 06-19-2007, 05:04 AM

CBS TV News Affiliates - CBS News

Do me a favor hustla 718....instead of posting pics that only show the "really" bad area of one town and the average area of another just to try and win an arguement in your mind....why don't you watch the headlines and news videos of each of the cities everyday and report to us which city is really more dangerous regardless of the population.....lol....you can't deny tha truth my man...but its been fun trying to convince you even though you have that NY mentality of not seeing both sides....even though you do say some true things ....but really i know Puert Rico is not a place to live in thier projects but the americanized puerto rican kids from New York that move down here havent lived in those projects and they put on this front and act tough but when i stare back at them like we do in tha south and dont look away....guess who looks away first?....

they do and they dont even start a fight with me......but in the beggining they looked like they would....guess they only fight those who they think are weaker then them for an advantage......in Miami kids arent raised to do that ....we dont back down from nobody no matter where you are from...and i am a white boy from the suburbs of Miami (Hialeah/ Carol City) and our suburbs are as bad as your projects in NYC .....

you dont believe it then go start a thread on the Miami page and see how many people take your side....i know there are places i wouldnt walk through in New York City without a gun but most of Dade County people do own guns even old ladies like my mother when we lived there....the mentality in Dade County is when you are walking to the store that youd better put your money in your shoe instead of a wallet or pocket cuz you could get robbed any time you walk out that door....as for Orlando......it isnt at the level of Miami but its getting kind of scary around here ......

its just a certain vibe that you have to feel and live in to understand .....just yesterday a man was shot riding a lynx bus by someone he didnt even know...check it out on the news....stuff is happening everyday like this in Orlando and my girlfriend from Long Island said she never saw this many stories on the news up there when she lived there involving shootings and violence......the other day some guy was shot at a red light for honking his horn at the guy in front of him....

always afraid of that in Miami but in Orlando you wouldnt have expected these thing 2 or 3 years ago.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando