Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 01:04 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,274,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
You should look up the criminal history of NYC, but this topic has nothing to do with that city.

As for Cubans having it so hard. Cuba is one of the safest nations, with some of the best healthcare in the world. The architecture an climate is amazing. A lot of Cubans wine and ***** about Castro, but what would Cuba be like without him? Another Dominican Republic? Haiti? Jamaica? Unlike many American Cubans would want you to think, the vast majority of Cubans live wonderful happy lives.

60 years ago, Puerto Rico was one of the poorest areas in the world. It was the poorest in the Caribbean. Conditions on the island were horrid. This was during the great migration of Puerto Ricans to the USA. Mostly Chicago, Philly, and of course NYC. The USA along with the Puerto Rican gov't started programs to bring PR back on it's feet. The beginning of Operation Bootstrap. Flooding the PR gov't with American money and encourageing American business. The start of the welfare culture. Many slums were torn down to build public housing projects. So you had huge housing projects surrounded by slum shacks in San Juan, Mayaguez, ect. Since PR was part of the USA, Puerto Ricans applied for welfare and food stamps.

The economy picked up, and now PR is wealthier then most of the Caribbean. However the welfare culture remains. The island may be wealthier, but it is still a poor island. You have those who live in generational poverty. No one being the individual to make a difference for their family. Living in public housing, section 8, some living in shacks, stealing power from city lines. With this culture came crime. The crack and heroin epidemics which hit the island hard. This is becuase PR is part of the USA, and a much easier place to sneak drugs into then the costal mainland. 25% of all cocain trying to get to the USA travels through PR. 20% of that stays on the island.

So before you go saying PR's had it easy like most idiots, learn something first. Don't make me even get to the challenges PR's had to go through in the USA as one of the first Latino groups on the mainland.

I have read up on the history of Puerto Rico..i am not saying they werent or arent in crisis in the poor areas over there.....

I was saying that the desperation of getting out of CUBA is worse than getting out of Puerto Rico....I have never heard of a Puerto Rican drinking his own urine after he runs out of water on his raft just to keep hydrated....and i have never heard of a Puerto Rican that floated to NYC to get out of his/her country....that is why Cubans seem more desperate to leave in my eyes for "some" reason.....I think Scarface is a movie that one of the lines was really true about Cuba....and that was when Al Pacino said, "How would you like it if somebody always tell you what to do ...what to say...how to think"......It isnt like that in PuERTO Rico...

Even though the living conditions in Puerto Rico were the worst in the world 60 years ago and in some areas are still bad.....the kids that move to Florida from NYC that are Puerto Rican...claim that they have seen it all....and most of them never actually lived on the Island of Puerto Rico.....they only know what they have seen in the Bronx or Brooklyn....so therefore they are lying when they say how bad it is in Puerto Rico because they never lived there long enough to remember the lifestyle there....

Then there are a whole other group of kids that claim to be from NYC that have lived here in Florida since they were 4 years old and now they are 20..but apparently they somehow know the streets of the Bronx by heart............I know most of these deceptions come from thier families which are homesick and miss NYC so they have to always make thier child remember where their family is from...but if i ask that 20 year old what places he worked at in NYC or what kind of stuff he did in the highschool hallways of the Bronx.....he cant tell me because his only memory of highschool is from Florida...so why do these kids act like that?

Old 06-28-2007, 03:00 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I have read up on the history of Puerto Rico..i am not saying they werent or arent in crisis in the poor areas over there.....

I was saying that the desperation of getting out of CUBA is worse than getting out of Puerto Rico....I have never heard of a Puerto Rican drinking his own urine after he runs out of water on his raft just to keep hydrated....and i have never heard of a Puerto Rican that floated to NYC to get out of his/her country....that is why Cubans seem more desperate to leave in my eyes for "some" reason.....I think Scarface is a movie that one of the lines was really true about Cuba....and that was when Al Pacino said, "How would you like it if somebody always tell you what to do ...what to say...how to think"......It isnt like that in PuERTO Rico...

Even though the living conditions in Puerto Rico were the worst in the world 60 years ago and in some areas are still bad.....the kids that move to Florida from NYC that are Puerto Rican...claim that they have seen it all....and most of them never actually lived on the Island of Puerto Rico.....they only know what they have seen in the Bronx or Brooklyn....so therefore they are lying when they say how bad it is in Puerto Rico because they never lived there long enough to remember the lifestyle there....

Then there are a whole other group of kids that claim to be from NYC that have lived here in Florida since they were 4 years old and now they are 20..but apparently they somehow know the streets of the Bronx by heart............I know most of these deceptions come from thier families which are homesick and miss NYC so they have to always make thier child remember where their family is from...but if i ask that 20 year old what places he worked at in NYC or what kind of stuff he did in the highschool hallways of the Bronx.....he cant tell me because his only memory of highschool is from Florida...so why do these kids act like that?
You just don't get it.

You can't compare PR and Cuba. What is there to compare among travels. If you are doing bad economically in Cuba, PR, the USA or where ever it's all the same.

As for those wannabe kids who claim to be from New York City. Who cares. They don't live there anymore. And your right, most never grew up in NYC. In fact most of those who have left NYC are the middle class becuase most low income people in NYC stay thanks to all the different kinds of low income housing. Many also left very young becuase Latinos in NYC are very poor unlike most of the communities you find in Florida. They can talk all the **** they want, where you are from doesn't make you tougher then anyone else.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
You just don't get it.

You can't compare PR and Cuba. What is there to compare among travels. If you are doing bad economically in Cuba, PR, the USA or where ever it's all the same.

As for those wannabe kids who claim to be from New York City. Who cares. They don't live there anymore. And your right, most never grew up in NYC. In fact most of those who have left NYC are the middle class becuase most low income people in NYC stay thanks to all the different kinds of low income housing. Many also left very young becuase Latinos in NYC are very poor unlike most of the communities you find in Florida. They can talk all the **** they want, where you are from doesn't make you tougher then anyone else.
Hey even though i see things differently from living aroud Cubans growing up....i do agree with some of what you say.....i wasnt really comparing PR and Cuba ....i was just showing what extent of desperation that Cubans have of getting out of thier country compared to Puerto Ricans.....

I dont hate Puerto Ricans i even have some people at work that are Puerto Rican and we all get along...but there is a bunch of them that dont think its possible for a white american man to have been poorer then them.....

As for Florida not being a place of Poverty compared to NYC...i think some research needs to be done on that one.....The price of living might be higher there...but so are the wages and in places like South Florida the housing costs so much and the pay is really low compared to NYC....thats one reason alot of New Yorkers move back because they thought they could come down here and pay for a cheap 1200 dollar a month 2 bedroom apartment here but they didnt realize that if you didnt have a skill that you would only be making 6.50 an hour at jobs without a skill......

I heard someone say they payed like 8 or 9 dollars an hour up there if you work at McDonalds...

Not here

Old 06-28-2007, 05:48 AM

hey ....I don't think all this crime is a good thing at all....and i just watched plenty of stories on the NYC news video files on thier local station....and then i clicked over to watch the top stories of Miami today and the first story i saw of a shooting made me really happy....two robbers tryed to go into a "Subway" resturant and tryed to force a customer into a bathroom, but before they could do it .... little did they know that the Miami customer of "Subway" was packing a gun and shot and killed one of the robbers and shot the other and he is in critical condition....yeah....hopefully stories like this will happen in "every" city soon

CBS TV News Affiliates - CBS News

Last edited by THASPECIAL; 06-28-2007 at 06:03 AM..

Old 06-28-2007, 05:59 AM

Click on video....for each city ...then type in shooting in the search bar when you are in the video sections of each city.....i dont like these stories but if people keep telling me its safer here in my state and that i havent been a victim of crime like those in other more well known cities then i have to argue on those points

CBS TV News Affiliates - CBS News

76 pages of video news stories of shootings in Miami news station video section

Miami-Dade County has about 2.5 million people

59 pages of video news stories of shootings for the NYC news station

NYC has about 8 million people

do the math on why the crime rates are higher in other cities

Last edited by THASPECIAL; 06-28-2007 at 06:34 AM..

Old 06-28-2007, 07:01 AM

7 posts, read 49,976 times
I grew up in the NYC metro area and at that time NYC had one of the highest crime rates in the nation. Now it is listed as one of the safest cities in the nation. My parents lived in Miami many years ago, but by the time I was growing up it was considered very unsafe and a "stay away from" cities. Now , along with South Beach, it seems to be one of the hottest areas again. Chicago has had a history of crime and many areas of the city were untouchable in the 80's due to crime. Now with gentrification, there has been a revival in these areas and many project areas have been turned in to high priced real estate with many young professionals moving into the city.

Could it be that Orlando has grown so fast, but the infrastructure has not grown quickly enough to get a handle on the crime? Is it just feeling the growing pains of turning into a much larger urban area?

All tourist areas have their typical crime problems with unsuspecting, relaxed tourists being easy prey for the predators. Drugs are rampant all over the country and yes, Florida does have other crime issues due to its location and easy accessibility from other countries to the South.

It appears that Orlando has peaked and the city must get it under control which may take some time.

Any thoughts? I have property in the Palm Bay area which I inherited. It would be great for family vacations, but I am not sure that I want to invest in it any more. There is also an upcoming area of Viera which I may either trade a lot for or just sell my Palm Bay property. Any insight or suggestions that would be helpful. Palm Bay has had spotty crime areas. Viera is very new so it is still okay, but very close to I-95. I would think that would make it vulnerable for the future.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lblasche View Post
I grew up in the NYC metro area and at that time NYC had one of the highest crime rates in the nation. Now it is listed as one of the safest cities in the nation. My parents lived in Miami many years ago, but by the time I was growing up it was considered very unsafe and a "stay away from" cities. Now , along with South Beach, it seems to be one of the hottest areas again. Chicago has had a history of crime and many areas of the city were untouchable in the 80's due to crime. Now with gentrification, there has been a revival in these areas and many project areas have been turned in to high priced real estate with many young professionals moving into the city.

Could it be that Orlando has grown so fast, but the infrastructure has not grown quickly enough to get a handle on the crime? Is it just feeling the growing pains of turning into a much larger urban area?

All tourist areas have their typical crime problems with unsuspecting, relaxed tourists being easy prey for the predators. Drugs are rampant all over the country and yes, Florida does have other crime issues due to its location and easy accessibility from other countries to the South.

It appears that Orlando has peaked and the city must get it under control which may take some time.

Any thoughts? I have property in the Palm Bay area which I inherited. It would be great for family vacations, but I am not sure that I want to invest in it any more. There is also an upcoming area of Viera which I may either trade a lot for or just sell my Palm Bay property. Any insight or suggestions that would be helpful. Palm Bay has had spotty crime areas. Viera is very new so it is still okay, but very close to I-95. I would think that would make it vulnerable for the future.

It is good to hear an unbiased person on here....i really dont see Florida as the worst place to live at all...why would i live here if i did?.....but when outsiders come here and team up against someone thats local and say stuff like .."oh,..you couldnt even imagine how the crime is where i am from"....then i get offended because i have been robbed at gunpoint in Florida and they kinda brush people's stories off like hey "it hurts worse to get shot somewhere else other than Florida".....well yeah i agree that this crime issue right now with Orlando is from the growth of our city......and from the flood of all different kinds of people from different cultures living together in a small area.......

well i dont feel too scared walking in my neighborhood because it is nice where im at now and i live in a tourist hotbed off of i-drive...but there was a robbery at gunpoint less then a mile from my house about 2 days ago...4 guys with masks and guns robbed the Amigos resturant and were chased by cops up to kirkman rd and one guy got away....and i saw 2 british tourists running from somebody last night when i went up to "Subway" on i-drive......well just like 9-11 after our country got attacked...we didnt really give up our freedom to go places just out of fear and thats how i am even hearing things like this happen way out here in the suburbs of orlando....

Old 07-03-2007, 02:09 PM

57 posts, read 244,962 times
Default Crime

Crime is everywhere and I am sure that it is getting worse in Orlando, more people.

But what is seen on the news or in newspapers is not always a reflection of the areas.

I live in New Hampshire we have the same type of crimes in some parts of the state here. Mostly in Manchester and Nashua. But Nashua was voted one of the best places to live in the country by US Today?? Not sure who the vote was from.

Also, have family in Nashua that havent' experienced the crime but to watch the news in NH you would think that Nashua and Manchester were horrible.

Two officers have been killed within the past year, stabbings at clubs, all that stuff.

I also know from experience of living in other parts of New Hampshire that most of the crime in a certain city happens in the same areas over and over.

My sister lives in Ma which is worse in my opinion, and crime is worse there than in NH but it doesn't effect her, She lives in a not so great city, in a not so great neighborhood, next to not so great neighbors but she has had only one break in and no other crimes against her. But the city in which she lives is horrible. I know cuz I grew up there.

Just considering a move to Florida and trying to get some real life perspectives

Old 07-04-2007, 07:53 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,215,703 times
pr is bad, as i said before. guess where they are all at now?

Old 07-05-2007, 01:49 AM

Nah.....there are a couple cities i can name that have the murder rate of Puerto Rico.....San Juan has about 3 million right?.....Orlando has about 1.5 million......New Orleans has about 1.5 million and has years with 400 - 500 murders with half the population of Puerto Rico.....and Detroit has more murders than Puerto Rico too......Miami had Years in the 80's where the had 500 - 600 murders a year and that was common there with only a population of 300,000 for the area they recorded the murders...it was "the scariest place"....in the world then......dont say i havent lived anywhere in Florida that hasN'T had more crime than Puerto Rico.....how many assaults did puerto rico have in the highest month for thier number of assaults?.......Orlando had 1000 assaults in June 2007.....where is the facts and data to prove things? Most Puerto Rican Americans didnt live in thier country growing up....so how can they say they have seen worse.....i can find plenty of puerto ricans that havent held a gun in thier hands and you know what just go to any backwoods part of the south and you will find plenty of white kids that live in a "redneck" area who know exactly how to use a gun....there is alot of phasade that American Puerto Ricans have from having family origons in PR....But most i meet havent had a gun in thier face but still wann aplay like life is "so" tough and get to go back home to thier nice house on Alafaya trail or some other suburb just like the place that the white kids live too......

Last edited by Yac; 07-06-2007 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: quoting a deleted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando