Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 05:41 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about a 1st cousin across Texas who, I was told by my brother today, is now in a coma at the hospital from a massive stroke. It doesn't sound like she will make it. So sad since I can easily picture her in her youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 11:21 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
Glad you had fun.

Now I'm suddenly feeling British after seeing all these posts and clips of shows I'm somewhat familiar with. Strictly Come Dancing was the basis for Dancing With The Stars, no?
Yep, your show is based on ours........ even down to some of the judges......... I'm amazed Len Goodman was picked to help judge the American show. You couldn't get someone more English than Len.

The origins of this show go back many decades........ right back to the early days of television here in the 1950s. A very popular show started back then called Come Dancing. It was just lots of ballroom dancing competitions, which were very popular back in those times.

This show ran for decades with a mainly quite small audience of fans of this kind of dancing. It finished eventually, I believe in the 80s. It was seen as very old fashioned, and had lost it's audience on television. But, someone many years later got the bright idea of bringing it back, but this time using celebrities being taught to dance by professionals, and having a competition.

Bruce Forsyth was signed on as presenter, and he said years later, that he thought it was going to be a comedy type show, laughing at the amateur celebrities trying to dance. Instead, it immediately took off in the ratings as a beautiful, and sometimes quite emotional thing to watch. Len Goodman, a man with many years experience dancing, and judging dancing around the country, took it very seriously, and expected the celebrities to do so as well.

The television audience in Britain has continued to grow, and Strictly Come Dancing is more popular than ever. Here is Len talking, and showing his passion for dancing............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GO7C8KWZAk

Old 09-21-2016, 04:23 AM

1,544 posts, read 924,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Yep, your show is based on ours........ even down to some of the judges......... I'm amazed Len Goodman was picked to help judge the American show. You couldn't get someone more English than Len.

The origins of this show go back many decades........ right back to the early days of television here in the 1950s. A very popular show started back then called Come Dancing. It was just lots of ballroom dancing competitions, which were very popular back in those times.

This show ran for decades with a mainly quite small audience of fans of this kind of dancing. It finished eventually, I believe in the 80s. It was seen as very old fashioned, and had lost it's audience on television. But, someone many years later got the bright idea of bringing it back, but this time using celebrities being taught to dance by professionals, and having a competition.

Bruce Forsyth was signed on as presenter, and he said years later, that he thought it was going to be a comedy type show, laughing at the amateur celebrities trying to dance. Instead, it immediately took off in the ratings as a beautiful, and sometimes quite emotional thing to watch. Len Goodman, a man with many years experience dancing, and judging dancing around the country, took it very seriously, and expected the celebrities to do so as well.

The television audience in Britain has continued to grow, and Strictly Come Dancing is more popular than ever. Here is Len talking, and showing his passion for dancing............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GO7C8KWZAk
Sounds more fun than this drivel we have in the States. There was far too much quantity in UK to US remakes and not enough quality. The only remakes I've found entertaining were shows from the '70s & '80s:

Steptoe and Son - Sanford and Son ("You dirty old man"/"You big dummy")
'Til Death Do Us Part - All In The Family
Man About The House - Three's Company
Keep It In The Family - Too Close For Comfort

Last edited by SeasonedNewbie; 09-21-2016 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: gotta love those catchphrases

Old 09-21-2016, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Sounds more fun than this drivel we have in the States. There was far too much quantity in UK to US remakes and not enough quality. The only remakes I've found entertaining were shows from the '70s & '80s:

I have only seen a little of 'Dancing with the Stars', and it's not as good, in my opinion, as our show. I'm not sure why that is so. I think part of the reason is more allowance is given for altering the dances to appeal to an American audience. Len when judging, seems to understand that, and doesn't comment. In our show, if the professionals don't follow the rules of a particular dance, he says so. If they continue doing it, he marks them down. Even Bruno seems to behave differently in America. Plus, there are no ads here as the show is on the BBC. The show is 'live' here, and it flows. Ad breaks would distract I think.

I have never seen any of our old shows which were remade in America. As far as I know, they were never shown in England. 'Steptoe and Son' was a finely written series, with a great emotional core to it. The son feeling trapped living with his father, and running their dirty rag and bone business. The son, Harold Steptoe had ideas above his station, and wanted to better himself. His father knew that actually, his son wasn't as smart as he liked to think. Many of the episodes are available on you-tube, and in the main, the show still stands up, and is watchable. It helps to have an English mentality of the time the show was made. I do of course, being a kid, then young man, when the show went out in the 60s and 70s. 'Steptoe' is probably one of the finest situation comedies ever made in England.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:52 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,114,048 times
I weighed myself for the first time in 2 months this morning.

Have put on 2 pounds to 131 pounds

Probably due to my holiday excesses of junk food, alcohol, and little or no exercise. I'd like to think its water-retention, but I doubt it.

ho hum

Old 09-21-2016, 06:57 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post

Probably due to my holiday excesses of junk food, alcohol, and little or no exercise. I'd like to think its water-retention, but I doubt it.

ho hum
131lbs!!!! I'm at 190!! ...... I'd have a bird on each leg at that weight! LOL

But I suppose muscle ways more

Welcome back home my love

What am I currently thinking off!..... Why are cats complete head cases! lol

Old 09-21-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:

Yup and life on Mars, only fools and horses and fawlty towers ...

The best US comedy I've seen was modern family ( Sofia vergara 💘💘💘 ) the first 3 series ...... Absolutely BRILLIANT! .... Had everything

Old 09-21-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post

ho hum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Yup and life on Mars, only fools and horses and fawlty towers ...

The best US comedy I've seen was modern family ( Sofia vergara 💘💘💘 ) the first 3 series ...... Absolutely BRILLIANT! .... Had everything
Good afternoon you two..... I was wondering where you were!! 131lbs Zola...... what's that in real money? Lemme think....... 9 stone 5lbs. That's not bad Zola for a girl your height. You'll look back in your 40s and 50s, and wish to gawd you could be that weight again!!

I have never seen 'Modern Family' LC. It's on one of the satellite channels isn't it? We're too poor here at English Dave Hall to afford such luxuries.........

Old 09-21-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Good afternoon you two..... I was wondering where you were!! 131lbs Zola...... what's that in real money? Lemme think....... 9 stone 5lbs. That's not bad Zola for a girl your height. You'll look back in your 40s and 50s, and wish to gawd you could be that weight again!!

I have never seen 'Modern Family' LC. It's on one of the satellite channels isn't it? We're too poor here at English Dave Hall to afford such luxuries.........
Hello dad!..... Yeah it's important for me to take wee little breaks from time to time

LOL what!.... I've heard natwest, santandar and all the other leading banks ask YOU for loans

Oh at last I'm getting back to fitness at the " gym " ( work )..... Feeling HOT HOT HOT!!

How's you doing me old China?

Old 09-21-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Hello dad!..... Yeah it's important for me to take wee little breaks from time to time

LOL what!.... I've heard natwest, santandar and all the other leading banks ask YOU for loans

Oh at last I'm getting back to fitness at the " gym " ( work )..... Feeling HOT HOT HOT!!

How's you doing me old China?
Not bad at all LC....... fit as a butcher's dog........ It's a lot cooler oop north today, and breezy. Still sweatin' in London huh?

I can't afford new cars for my wife, and fancy dan telly channels as well LC. Something has to give!.....

Look at my holidays. I'm reduced from Las Vegas to Benidorm instead. These are hard times.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics