Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 09:59 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,432,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
I've heard "Steptoe" was good. Still have yet to see the show.

"Sanford and Son" was like "Steptoe," except they lived in South Central Los Angeles. Cantankerous Fred Sanford and his son Lamont ran a rag and bone business in Watts, a neighborhood in L.A. Our version tackled both class and race issues as the protagonists of the show were Black.

They've got clips and episodes on YouTube for your viewing pleasure, as well as a catchy theme song.

I want to apologize on behalf of the US for ruining Fawlty Towers. The remakes (there were 3) bombed over here.
'Steptoe and Son' was a massive success here in England for over 10 years. It ruined the actor who played the son Harold. He was so good in the part, he was typecast, and struggled to find other work. Plus the other actor who played his father was a drunk. The show was recorded 'live' before an audience. You can imagine the nerves playing opposite such a man. Plus, they grew to dislike each other in later years. Hard to work with someone you despise I would think.

I will take a look at Sanford and Son. Here is a Harold and Albert Steptoe classic.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OObA0qQQDIo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Since we're supposed to keep this thread PG-13, your "fanny" is what we Americans call a woman's "snatch," or the 5-letter word that goes before cat.
Yeah........ we call it that as well these days......... I remember hearing 'fanny' used in an American film many years ago. I thought I was hearing things..............

Old 09-21-2016, 10:09 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,531,765 times
Sorry mum and dad just got ^^^^^ ..... I'm great cheers mum and could always do with a motherly hug

Dad yeah I've seen that on US telly when " fanny " was mentioned.... I know it's the opposite of what we call it.... So you could imagine my reaction when I first heard it though

And the lovely ms seasonednewbie...... As we love you Americans so much I'll accept your apology LOL

Right out boozing now so I'll try and drop in ( literally ) later 😈

Old 09-21-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Sorry mum and dad just got ^^^^^ ..... I'm great cheers mum and could always do with a motherly hug

Dad yeah I've seen that on US telly when " fanny " was mentioned.... I know it's the opposite of what we call it.... So you could imagine my reaction when I first heard it though

And the lovely ms seasonednewbie...... As we love you Americans so much I'll accept your apology LOL

Right out boozing now so I'll try and drop in ( literally ) later ��
Enjoy the boozing session LC....... It's the sweeties that are a problem here right now. I bought three large plastic boxes of 'Rose's' 'Quality Street', and 'Heroes.' Each one has about 2lbs of sweeties in it. My wise words, "they're on offer in ASDA for four quid each...... a bargain. I'll get some, and put them in the booze bedroom for eating at Christmas."

Well...... you can guess what has happened. The little plastic bin in the lounge is full of wrappers. We have demolished almost one box......... I put the box down on a chair, and said, "get thee away from me Satan"....... I'm going to stagger on to the Benidorm plane a big fat whelk........

Old 09-21-2016, 01:44 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,790,598 times
What are you currently thinking about?

"Why the "F" did someone just now come by me and other me by asking "Do you live here?" (I'm in a library) and the stupidity of her quesiton made me wonder is it now becoming common to bother people who are wearing headphones and listening to music quietly?

I'm VERY tempted to now say "Don't bother me unless there's a fire ok?" and snarl and then maybe they'll get a clue.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:30 PM

1,544 posts, read 925,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
'Steptoe and Son' was a massive success here in England for over 10 years. It ruined the actor who played the son Harold. He was so good in the part, he was typecast, and struggled to find other work. Plus the other actor who played his father was a drunk. The show was recorded 'live' before an audience. You can imagine the nerves playing opposite such a man. Plus, they grew to dislike each other in later years. Hard to work with someone you despise I would think.

I will take a look at Sanford and Son. Here is a Harold and Albert Steptoe classic.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OObA0qQQDIo
I saw a little of the show some time ago. Wasn't able to give it a watch because of my tiny, crappy little Android phone and YouTube not loading right on it.

Well, Here's a taste of Sanford and Son:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMTrthePKU0

And a snippet of my favorite episode from the series, though the entire show was hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEDzNA39Vvc

Old 09-21-2016, 02:30 PM

7,336 posts, read 2,743,765 times
Quote:
Hiya IAW....... I already know what my son thinks regarding money........ "don't you go wasting money on frivolities dad. Think about your little boy's future"...........

Judy is over the moon with her slow cooker thingy! She couldn't believe it cooked the food. "says here David, it only uses the same power as a light bulb......" She is a born again slow cooker woman from now on.

Well, I'll explain to you........ **** means a few different things. A man may say, "I'm just going to the lavvy for a ****" or he may look at the dark clouds, and say, "looks like it's going to **** it down to me."

Got it? Good!..............

Have a great day IAW. No racing the streets with Miss Daisy in tow!!
Got it, David. Thanks. That is pretty much what I thought.

Me? Racing on the streets? You remember where I worked. I know those guys...and I'm sure some (okay, most) of them remember some of the more, shall we say, interesting calls I sent them on. I am not about to do anything to be stopped by them! Whether Miss Daisy is with me or not. Same reason I won't ever call an ambulance for myself. Payback is something I do not want to endure...especially from paramedics.
Quote:
Since we're supposed to keep this thread PG-13, your "fanny" is what we Americans call a woman's "snatch," or the 5-letter word that goes before cat.
I have to admit, that's one I didn't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post

Right out boozing now so I'll try and drop in ( literally ) later 😈
Hugs to you my son. Just remember you are one of my favourites. Be careful while you're out and about.
Quote:
Enjoy the boozing session LC....... It's the sweeties that are a problem here right now. I bought three large plastic boxes of 'Rose's' 'Quality Street', and 'Heroes.' Each one has about 2lbs of sweeties in it. My wise words, "they're on offer in ASDA for four quid each...... a bargain. I'll get some, and put them in the booze bedroom for eating at Christmas."

Well...... you can guess what has happened. The little plastic bin in the lounge is full of wrappers. We have demolished almost one box......... I put the box down on a chair, and said, "get thee away from me Satan"....... I'm going to stagger on to the Benidorm plane a big fat whelk........
David, you can have my chocolate. In fact, have a couple of them for me. I'm not going to care what you look like when you get on the plane.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:24 AM

Quote:
I saw a little of the show some time ago. Wasn't able to give it a watch because of my tiny, crappy little Android phone and YouTube not loading right on it.

And a snippet of my favorite episode from the series, though the entire show was hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEDzNA39Vvc
That was funny! Especially the part where his son acted as interpreter for what the policeman said. It's interesting just how much of some shows is on you-tube, and how little of others. Some seem allowed, some don't for reasons I don't understand.

One of the most famous shows here, which is called 'Dad's Army' was made in the late 60s, until the mid 70s. The plot line was old guys preparing to defend England from German invasion. Plus kids like Pike too young to join up. In this clip, the gang of old guys have captured the crew of a German submarine.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhY-Y0I8DkY

Attempts were made to do an American version of this show. A pilot episode was made, but it didn't go any further than that.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:47 AM

Another very popular show in the 70s was 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum.' The setting was India during the Second World War. They are a group of entertainers whose job is to put little shows on for serving soldiers. Their boss is a Sergeant-Major who thinks they are all disgusting degenerates who should be made into real soldiers, and be made to fight instead of dressing up. Especially as women......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=susYm-fdZq4

Old 09-24-2016, 01:47 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,064,154 times
Wow, this thread 'disappeared' on to page 2 - we can't have that!

Just watching X Factor's Six Chair Challenge. It's a load of rubbish really, as they always choose the wrong people. You know, the ones that can't actually sing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics