Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 07:41 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times

Advertisements

.......... talking of hard times, I bought Judy a crock pot thingy the other day in ASDA. It was reduced to half price, and as you know, I can't pass up on a bargain. So I bought two..... one for Judy, and another for her daughter. Neither one of them has ever had one of these slow cooker things.

I had to explain the purpose of it. "You see Judy....... you fill it up with chunks of raw steak, and vegetables, and such. Put it on in the morning, and it cooks slowly all day. It's mainly for working folks, so they'll have a stew ready when they come in from work......"

My first wife had one, and used it a lot. Judy, as usual is entranced by a new cooking toy. Yesterday, she bought a slow cooker cook book...... today, of course, it's working away behind me out here in the kitchen. Judy checked it a few minutes ago, and said, "it's worked David. All the food is cooked!!"

Gawd, I've got a bad feeling about this. I see a lot of stews in my future.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 07:41 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Not bad at all LC....... fit as a butcher's dog........ It's a lot cooler oop north today, and breezy. Still sweatin' in London huh?

I can't afford new cars for my wife, and fancy dan telly channels as well LC. Something has to give!.....

Look at my holidays. I'm reduced from Las Vegas to Benidorm instead. These are hard times.........
I thought Las Vegas was a strop club in Benidorm? LMAO

No it's actually turning rather chilly or cooler.... I've had to cover up my builders bum and everything

I think it's gonna **** down infact ..... And I've got a long stroll to Kilburn to have a few pints with my mate

Old 09-21-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I thought Las Vegas was a strop club in Benidorm? LMAO

No it's actually turning rather chilly or cooler.... I've had to cover up my builders bum and everything

I think it's gonna **** down infact ..... And I've got a long stroll to Kilburn to have a few pints with my mate
I didn't know of any strop clubs in Benidorm....... Off to drink in Kilburn huh? Let's hope it doesn't **** down before you get there!! Is **** a swear word in America?..........

Old 09-21-2016, 07:48 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
I didn't know of any strop clubs in Benidorm....... Off to drink in Kilburn huh? Let's hope it doesn't **** down before you get there!! Is **** a swear word in America?..........
Yeah pissed is not but **** is?

Yup I'm going in a few hours.... It will wait until I leave the house to start I'm sure

Bloody auto correct!!... No I don't know any strop clubs either LOL

Old 09-21-2016, 07:57 AM

7,334 posts, read 2,742,181 times
Quote:
Not bad at all LC....... fit as a butcher's dog........ It's a lot cooler oop north today, and breezy. Still sweatin' in London huh?

I can't afford new cars for my wife, and fancy dan telly channels as well LC. Something has to give!.....

Look at my holidays. I'm reduced from Las Vegas to Benidorm instead. These are hard times.........
Poor Dave. Whatever will the kids think when you are gone?
Quote:
.......... talking of hard times, I bought Judy a crock pot thingy the other day in ASDA. It was reduced to half price, and as you know, I can't pass up on a bargain. So I bought two..... one for Judy, and another for her daughter. Neither one of them has ever had one of these slow cooker things.

I had to explain the purpose of it. "You see Judy....... you fill it up with chunks of raw steak, and vegetables, and such. Put it on in the morning, and it cooks slowly all day. It's mainly for working folks, so they'll have a stew ready when they come in from work......"

My first wife had one, and used it a lot. Judy, as usual is entranced by a new cooking toy. Yesterday, she bought a slow cooker cook book...... today, of course, it's working away behind me out here in the kitchen. Judy checked it a few minutes ago, and said, "it's worked David. All the food is cooked!!"

Gawd, I've got a bad feeling about this. I see a lot of stews in my future.........
I've only used my slow cooker once since I retired. Life is rough.
Quote:

Yup I'm going in a few hours.... It will wait until I leave the house to start I'm sure

Okay, now I want to know what **** is. One of you will have to let me know.

Hi son. Stay well.

I'm off for the morning. Talk to you all later.

Welcome home, Zola!

Old 09-21-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:

Good thing you told me about the rain LC....... it's started here now! I got the washing in just in time!

I don't know how Americans describe heavy rain about to start....... Do you think they say, "it looks like it's going to **** down, like we do?"

Old 09-21-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Yeah..... I think, from what I read here in c-d, that American's say they're 'pissed' meaning annoyed. We of course, say it to mean drunk......... Funny how one language can mean different things isn't it?

Americans call tramps 'bums' which is another word we use in a different way.......... I won't go there with 'fanny'...............

Old 09-21-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Woman View Post
Poor Dave. Whatever will the kids think when you are gone?

I've only used my slow cooker once since I retired. Life is rough.

Okay, now I want to know what **** is. One of you will have to let me know.

I'm off for the morning. Talk to you all later.

Welcome home, Zola!
Hiya IAW....... I already know what my son thinks regarding money........ "don't you go wasting money on frivolities dad. Think about your little boy's future"...........

Judy is over the moon with her slow cooker thingy! She couldn't believe it cooked the food. "says here David, it only uses the same power as a light bulb......" She is a born again slow cooker woman from now on.

Well, I'll explain to you........ **** means a few different things. A man may say, "I'm just going to the lavvy for a ****" or he may look at the dark clouds, and say, "looks like it's going to **** it down to me."

Got it? Good!..............

Have a great day IAW. No racing the streets with Miss Daisy in tow!!

Old 09-21-2016, 09:42 AM

1,544 posts, read 924,567 times
Quote:
I have only seen a little of 'Dancing with the Stars', and it's not as good, in my opinion, as our show. I'm not sure why that is so. I think part of the reason is more allowance is given for altering the dances to appeal to an American audience. Len when judging, seems to understand that, and doesn't comment. In our show, if the professionals don't follow the rules of a particular dance, he says so. If they continue doing it, he marks them down. Even Bruno seems to behave differently in America. Plus, there are no ads here as the show is on the BBC. The show is 'live' here, and it flows. Ad breaks would distract I think.

I have never seen any of our old shows which were remade in America. As far as I know, they were never shown in England. 'Steptoe and Son' was a finely written series, with a great emotional core to it. The son feeling trapped living with his father, and running their dirty rag and bone business. The son, Harold Steptoe had ideas above his station, and wanted to better himself. His father knew that actually, his son wasn't as smart as he liked to think. Many of the episodes are available on you-tube, and in the main, the show still stands up, and is watchable. It helps to have an English mentality of the time the show was made. I do of course, being a kid, then young man, when the show went out in the 60s and 70s. 'Steptoe' is probably one of the finest situation comedies ever made in England.
I've heard "Steptoe" was good. Still have yet to see the show.

"Sanford and Son" was like "Steptoe," except they lived in South Central Los Angeles. Cantankerous Fred Sanford and his son Lamont ran a rag and bone business in Watts, a neighborhood in L.A. Our version tackled both class and race issues as the protagonists of the show were Black.

They've got clips and episodes on YouTube for your viewing pleasure, as well as a catchy theme song.

Quote:
Yup and life on Mars, only fools and horses and fawlty towers ...

The best US comedy I've seen was modern family ( Sofia vergara 💘💘💘 ) the first 3 series ...... Absolutely BRILLIANT! .... Had everything
I want to apologize on behalf of the US for ruining Fawlty Towers. The remakes (there were 3) bombed over here.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:47 AM

1,544 posts, read 924,567 times
Quote:
Yeah..... I think, from what I read here in c-d, that American's say they're 'pissed' meaning annoyed. We of course, say it to mean drunk......... Funny how one language can mean different things isn't it?

Americans call tramps 'bums' which is another word we use in a different way.......... I won't go there with 'fanny'...............
Since we're supposed to keep this thread PG-13, your "fanny" is what we Americans call a woman's "snatch," or the 5-letter word that goes before cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics