Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:17 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
There is one interesting aspect to the article, and that is the idea that Chinese mothers are very hard on their kids because they believe they are capable of perfection.
Why would a parent issue expectations to their child that he/she needs to be perfect? Sure, striving for excellence (doing the best you can), contribution, compassion and kindness are wonderful things to instill. But perfection? Why? For what? It's neither possible, needed, necessary nor FUN.

I can't remember who said it (probably multiple people), but "learning from mistakes" is a strength builder. Learning resilience in the face of setbacks is important. Expecting perfection is only going to result in disappointment, especially for the child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 09:29 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,499 times
We live in a neighborhood of all Asians and are maybe one of a handful of families not Asian. My child's elementary school will be 35% Asian. I hear our neighbors child playing the piano for hours a day... maybe they fall into this type of parenting category, but I don't know more. BUT, my child's friend across the street does not have this type of parenting despite both of her parents being born and raised in China. They actually comment on how smart and disciplined my child is... really because I work though reading and addition/subtraction and other things with my child all of the time. And our child knows our expectations of her. (They are measured for her age and development).
I do agree with the author though that musical training is very important in brain development. I will have both my child play a musical instrument and practice a lot. However, I would never push my child at the piano like the author says she did. Horrible... and to call her child garbage... horrible.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,944,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Why would a parent issue expectations to their child that he/she needs to be perfect? Sure, striving for excellence (doing the best you can), contribution, compassion and kindness are wonderful things to instill. But perfection? Why? For what? It's neither possible, needed, necessary nor FUN.

I can't remember who said it (probably multiple people), but "learning from mistakes" is a strength builder. Learning resilience in the face of setbacks is important. Expecting perfection is only going to result in disappointment, especially for the child.
I didn't say that. I said that we sometimes forget kids are capable. I never said they should only strive to be perfect.

In fact, I also said this:

Quote:
The problem being, that by definition, only ONE person can be the best at something. And because we live in a chaotic world, nothing will truly ever be perfect. So one spends their whole lives chasing the unattainable. Sounds like an unfulfilled life of pursing that which doesn't exist, to me.
You need to direct your why? comments at Chinese mothers, not me.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:45 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,498 times
I tell my kids all the time that I will only love them if/when they're perfect. And I encourage them to fight for my approval/love. I've suggested death matches a couple times.

They roll their eyes at me though when I do this. But they get straight A's so I guess it's working.

I'm not Chinese though.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I read this one. She jokes that she will write her own memoire about being raised by strict Chinese parents.

She should write a book! I'd buy her book in a heartbeat. I'd never buy the book the OP posted about.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I tell my kids all the time that I will only love them if/when they're perfect. And I encourage them to fight for my approval/love. I've suggested death matches a couple times.

They roll their eyes at me though when I do this. But they get straight A's so I guess it's working.

I'm not Chinese though.
The Chinese don't know sarcasm like your family!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:48 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,944,426 times
I see she can't take the heat:

"Tiger Mother" Backpedals On Hyper-Strict Parenting Advice

Old 01-11-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Years ago, my English professor said, "If you're going to be wrong, be wrong with conviction."

Tiger mother must be weak spined for giving in so quickly.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:52 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Haha - thanks for posting this. I guess the response wasn't quite what she expected?

Old 01-11-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Haha - thanks for posting this. I guess the response wasn't quite what she expected?
How could she have expected it when she lives in a bubble? She must never leave her house! She has to stay home to crack that whip 24/7!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting