Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
In a class with a regular weighting 4.0 is the highest you can do. However, most schools weight honors and AP classes higher. At our school you get 4.0 for an A in a regular class, 5.0 in honors and 6.0 for AP. The best students have GPAs in excess of 5.0.
Wow - that's pretty generous. I believe at my son's high school, the AP classes are pretty much the only "weighted" classes and an A in those gets you a 5. Honors classes do not receive weighted grades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Wow - that's pretty generous. I believe at my son's high school, the AP classes are pretty much the only "weighted" classes and an A in those gets you a 5. Honors classes do not receive weighted grades.
Yeah, schools out here weigh AP classes out of 5. Some schools will also weigh certain honors classes. My Honors Physics class senior year was out of 5 even though it wasn't AP.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:09 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Yes - I just went to check...I think there might be a few non-AP classes that could be weighted but I don't know which they are. My son's Honors Chemistry is not....

Old 01-13-2011, 10:15 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,378 times
In my school, there was a separate set of points called quality points (physics is worth more than home ec, for example), and those were considered in determining which students were honor students. So not all 4.0 students were honor students, but no one earned higher than a 4.0.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:23 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
I seem to remember another one of my classes senior year being weighted, but I didn't have any other honors classes. For some reason I'm thinking it was Spanish 3. I have no idea why that would have been weighted, but I'm thinking for some unknown reason the school may have weighted all language classes after the second year. That was a weird school, and a lot of classes were weighted there that weren't at other schools. At my three previous high schools only AP classes were weighted.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:22 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
Since we are fixating on GPAs, ours was out of 4, honors was 4, and AP was 5. I had to take AP art and languages for extra boost since we only had about 8 classes offered for AP in total. I'm sure they offer tons more now. And I had to game the system by taking all as many non-AP courses as possible at community college or take them Pass/Fail so that my A's won't bring down my GPA. Otherwise we'd probably top out at 4.3 or so even if you took every AP class avail. Total lameness. But it worked for being valedictorian and getting into college. Gotta do what it takes. There were 700 people in my high school class so had to hustle.

Last edited by miyu; 01-14-2011 at 12:57 AM..

Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Mother, superior?
Here's another interview with the author where she states that the WSJ took the most controversial sections of her book strung them together and then gave the piece a a provocative headline.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:57 AM

53 posts, read 56,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The one thing I completely agree with is the self-esteem that you get by actually accomplishing something rather than this fakey-fakey 'you're so great' garbage that's being disseminated now in American culture. It's ridiculous.
I agree. What is more valuable, KNOWING who you are, or having the illusion of being greater because your parents didn't want to damage your oh-so-fragile self-esteem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Stan4, for sure that is not a way to build up self-esteem.

Where self-esteem is discussed in the article was in reference to being called "garbage" by her father, something that "Western" parents would never do because it would hurt a child's self-esteem.

The sentence I highlighted is very important I believe. Without this, it is very easy for a child to interpret criticisms in a harmful way, a way that lowers self-esteem.
The only self-eseem that is worth anything is when a child understands the value of self-accomplishment; when it's actually earned, and not just there because a parent makes the child's ego inflated.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:14 AM

53 posts, read 56,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Yeah, us old folks that finished high school before the advent of AP courses topped out at 4.0. As far as most university systems go, they too top at 4.0.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
In Asia things are different (as I've explained before on this thread). Average probably means you got a 95% - you'd write a Chinese character with a slightly different curvature or overhanging edges and BAM... you're down in the rankings! You simply cannot compare the two systems. Asian kids who come here get spoiled and never want to go back where they will have to work twice as hard and still be average.
What we have is a dumming down of American education. Notice how many people here post about either having been in advanced classes or their children are in advanced classes. It blows my mind that there is either a huge concentration of exceptionally intelligent people on City Data, or all they are is on the higher end of normal and they are only dellusionally exceptional because not so much is expected in our educational system anymore. I tend to believe the latter.

Our system has been lowered to the point that no one fails anymore. Those who would have failed by yesterday's standards don't now because the expectation is much, much lower than it used to be.

Those who would have normally gotten straight A's, now think they are exceptional because those classes that used to be deemed higher end normal are now considered advanced.

At the end of the day, all it is is dellusional intelligence.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:35 AM

852 posts, read 1,365,378 times
At my daughter's middle school, only 4 students out of about 200 tested into the 5th grade gifted program. That doesn't sound inflated to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting