Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 11:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Well, if I were you, I'd use it as a good excuse to hire some staff.
I was thinking of the laundromat! Yours is a much better solution!

Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Here's a cute story for those of you in the music industry. And maybe you can offer a suggestion.

My son has been going crazy for the past few months trying to find the song associated with an a brief instrumental that was in a movie scene. It was really great guitar, if I remember correctly. He played the clip for me and hubby, hoping we would recognize the song since it sounds like good old fashion rock-n-roll. Neither of us could identify it even though I'm usually very good at identifying a song by just a couple of notes. That was a few months ago, I hadn't heard him mention it since.

Today he comes down and tells me that he had sent an email to the producer. Not sure what type of producer. But I don't think it was the movie producer because he said he was some big deal in the music industry. He said his name. I'd ask him but he's sleeping right now since his sleep schedule is all straight these days. (I know it's probably driving you crazy that I don't have the details right now!)

Anyways, he is telling me this because the guy emailed him back. He was surprised. The guy said he was just talking about this piece with someone the other day. It has never been released. It was some sort of "sample" (can't remember the exact word my son used but that's the gist I got) they presented for the movie. Or an overview type "cover" like it was created for a presentation or something. (Does any of this make sense? If not, I'll get the exact wording from him tomorrow.)

My son is wondering how to respond. He wants that music for his personal listening pleasure! LOL He would never share it but he realizes it's very unlikely they will send it to him. But he was amazed the man responded to him with such an indepth email response. He feels the door is cracked open a bit and that it's worth a shot.

Any ideas?

Old 07-27-2011, 05:44 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Here's a cute story for those of you in the music industry. And maybe you can offer a suggestion.

My son has been going crazy for the past few months trying to find the song associated with an a brief instrumental that was in a movie scene. It was really great guitar, if I remember correctly. He played the clip for me and hubby, hoping we would recognize the song since it sounds like good old fashion rock-n-roll. Neither of us could identify it even though I'm usually very good at identifying a song by just a couple of notes. That was a few months ago, I hadn't heard him mention it since.

Today he comes down and tells me that he had sent an email to the producer. Not sure what type of producer. But I don't think it was the movie producer because he said he was some big deal in the music industry. He said his name. I'd ask him but he's sleeping right now since his sleep schedule is all straight these days. (I know it's probably driving you crazy that I don't have the details right now!)

Anyways, he is telling me this because the guy emailed him back. He was surprised. The guy said he was just talking about this piece with someone the other day. It has never been released. It was some sort of "sample" (can't remember the exact word my son used but that's the gist I got) they presented for the movie. Or an overview type "cover" like it was created for a presentation or something. (Does any of this make sense? If not, I'll get the exact wording from him tomorrow.)

My son is wondering how to respond. He wants that music for his personal listening pleasure! LOL He would never share it but he realizes it's very unlikely they will send it to him. But he was amazed the man responded to him with such an indepth email response. He feels the door is cracked open a bit and that it's worth a shot.

Any ideas?
Oh Hopes, that's very cool. I would send the piece to your son, I think most people would. Most producers are very flattered when they connect with somebody and are contacted by them. I would just ask the guy if he has an mp3 of it lying around, and if he's free to send him a copy. If it's not on an archive drive in a basement somewhere and the producer has easy access to it, and he owns the rights to it, he might not have a problem with it. No harm in asking. It might be more difficult a task than would first appear, though.

And I think the term you're looking for is "demo" or "temp track".

Who's the dude? I'm intrigued now.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:00 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
I think the house thing is annoying me because my husband and I have been saving money for awhile and still won't be ready to buy a house until next spring. I have to resist the urge to knock some sense into my friend (not literally) but for the time being I keep the conversation on stuff like "what kind of house are you interested in?" and "what areas are you looking at?"
Ugh - how maddening! I'm just shaking my head at "a couple of hundred dollars." I completely understand how you feel - DH and I saved for years and years and years before we were able to buy our first house a few months ago. It's frustrating when you're working so hard and want something so badly and someone swoops in with silly statements like that. It's kind of you to keep the conversation off of financial realities...she'll figure it out soon enough. Good luck to you and DH - you'll get there and it'll feel good!

Old 07-27-2011, 07:27 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Speaking of spiders! When I was doing laundry in the basement, I saw a HUGE BIG SPIDER on the floor! I called hubby. I'm not afraid of spiders, but this spider was the BIGGEST SPIDER I EVER SAW! Someone else needed to SEE this thing!

So, it's not moving, just standing there on the floor. Hubby comes down and we stare at it for a while. We're both barefoot. (Another reason I called hubby is he usually is wearing some type of footwear.) Hubby walks into the other side of the basement, looking for something to squash the spider. He must not have seen anything he felt would do the job. He walks back in and squashes the spider with his bare foot.

Yuck, right? Oh, yeah, but on levels you can't even begin to imagine! Suddenly, all of these little babies start spreading out across the floor. There must have been hundreds of them! He tells me to go grab the wasp spray. I'm already halfway up the stairs with the same plan. OMG, who would have guessed?

FYI, wasp spray kills baby spiders.
That's like some right out of the movies.
The second the hundreds of baby spiders started to spread out everywhere I would have already been out of the basement, out of the house and running down the street screaming and flailing my arms like I was being chased by zombies.
I have such a terrible spider phobia, it really is pretty severe. I can't even look at pictures of spiders with out getting this tingly feeling up my spine into my neck. Even the mere thought of spiders just screws with my head.

Anyways, you'll all be happy to hear that I have two job interviews this week. Thursday and Friday, TG's days off too. He went with me to fill out my applications but never went into any of the stores with me but pep talked and gave me advice before I went in but early Thursday we're going to go check out the new Ikea, for some reason he's super stoked and cannot wait to go. Then my interview at 2 and then I am most excited about Fridays interview, SO EXCITED, its in a clothing store, one that I shopped at when I was like 13 and haven't shopped at since but their stuff has really grown up since then and they are more like an American Eagle now but yeah I cannot wait for Friday.
So hopefully he helps me find something to wear for these interviews and helps get me in the mind set pre-interview.

For today though, some minor cleaning, shower, and then go lay out at the pool for a few hours. I went yesterday and it was great, just gotta get out there before the rain hits.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Good evening all!

I've got the domicile to myself tonight. Know what that means around here? Popcorn for dinner! Yay! And the last glass of some kind of red wine left over from last night....

It is pretty interesting what some people consider necessities. We've seen some of that too. The other interesting thing (to me) is seeing those that (apparently anyway) CAN afford all kinds of stuff be super indulgent to their kids. I see that in some of DS's friends. I'm not implying that they should not buy their kids luxuries - that's on them. What I don't understand is the failing to link any sort of responsibility to stuff. And to repeatedly purchase stuff that kids have lost or ruined. What are they thinking? How do they feel this is beneficial to their kids?
We have one of those families in the neighborhood. Even when the kids were six or seven, they noticed that little Lucifer and Shaitan would break toys, and expect their parents to buy new ones. And they would. Then of course they'd come here, and break ds's toys, and think that was just dandy. Their parents were upset that I banned them from our house, even when I explained why (and no, they didn't offer to replace anything, either).

Old 07-27-2011, 07:56 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Speaking of spiders! When I was doing laundry in the basement, I saw a HUGE BIG SPIDER on the floor! I called hubby. I'm not afraid of spiders, but this spider was the BIGGEST SPIDER I EVER SAW! Someone else needed to SEE this thing!

So, it's not moving, just standing there on the floor. Hubby comes down and we stare at it for a while. We're both barefoot. (Another reason I called hubby is he usually is wearing some type of footwear.) Hubby walks into the other side of the basement, looking for something to squash the spider. He must not have seen anything he felt would do the job. He walks back in and squashes the spider with his bare foot.

Yuck, right? Oh, yeah, but on levels you can't even begin to imagine! Suddenly, all of these little babies start spreading out across the floor. There must have been hundreds of them! He tells me to go grab the wasp spray. I'm already halfway up the stairs with the same plan. OMG, who would have guessed?

FYI, wasp spray kills baby spiders.
LOL! I was reading the first part of this thinking "OMG, please don't tell me they squished it..."
Big ugly spiders often carry babies on their backs for awhile. DO NOT SQUASH SPIDERS is the first thing I tell people new to Florida. Cheap, really sticky hairspray is the way to go. It isn't as toxic as bug spray and is usually cheaper.
Fortunately you probably won't see them as often in Colorado, but in the tropics and subtropics they're a part of the landscape. We call them grove spiders, though I don't think that's their real name. ETA: wolf spiders, yeah. And apparently there are wild tarantulas as far north as Sarasota. My son slept over at his friend's house the other night-- friend lives out in the groves and the house has a major spider issue. Ds didn't sleep all night. Swears it was because of them staying up to play video games but I expect the spiders had a lot to do with it.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:03 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Anyone else have to look twice when the "Children banned from Restaurant" thread is right next to the "Toddler being Eaten Alive" thread?

Old 07-27-2011, 11:08 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Anyone else have to look twice when the "Children banned from Restaurant" thread is right next to the "Toddler being Eaten Alive" thread?
Are toddlers part of the PaleoDunkinDonutsAllCarbWarriorBloodType diet?

Old 07-27-2011, 11:11 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Are toddlers part of the PaleoDunkinDonutsAllCarbWarriorBloodType diet?
Haven't seen the citrus fruit around lately - she'd be the one to ask....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting