Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:56 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times

Advertisements

I have 2 daughters...One is 22 months and the other just turned 4. I sent my 4 year old to preschool just before she turned 3. She goes 2 days a week for 2.5 hours. She has done nothing but made good little friends and thrived. Kids thrive when they have structure and she is a great example of that. She loves going to her little 'school'. Now to my 22 month old....not ready for any kind of school of any kind...I stay at home to care for them so I have no need or desire to send them to daycare...However, I do have friends that do so they can have some me time...I have no issue with that what so ever. I think you have to do whatever makes you happy. When momma isn't happy nobody isn't... I don't judge...if it works and everyone is happy,,,why not?

Old 02-18-2008, 10:08 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,794 times
Well respectfully I disagree with you. Studies have been conducted to show the positive benefits of children who attend preschool. Children who attend preschool are better prepared for kindergarten.

http://nieer.org/resources/factsheets/13.pdf

Where I live kindergarten is full day. How is a child who has always been at home and able to play all day supposed to transition well to being put in an environment where he is required to sit still at a desk most of the day without being exposed to it beforehand.

I am not a teacher so why shouldn't I put my child into a good preschool where he can be challenged and be allowed to do the best he can.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:08 AM

932 posts, read 1,273,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanjosbrand View Post
I really want to know if preschool is a necessity. I stay home with my two kids, 3 and 2, and absolutely love it. I don't get many breaks at all, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. What kinds of things should I teach my kids before they start kindergarten? Do they need to know how to count to 100 and write their name? Is there anything else?
What I did was call the principal of the school and ask! they LOVE it when parents are expressing an interest and wanting to know how best to prepare their kids!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:09 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanjosbrand View Post
I really want to know if preschool is a necessity. I stay home with my two kids, 3 and 2, and absolutely love it. I don't get many breaks at all, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. What kinds of things should I teach my kids before they start kindergarten? Do they need to know how to count to 100 and write their name? Is there anything else?
In Ca. my children were supposed to have been able to read, write and know their numbers before kindergarten. In the district my kids were in, children who couldn't do this were put into prekindergarten.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:09 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,960 times
I think there is a big difference between being a SAHM and putting your child in day care full time, like austinsmom describes, and putting your 3-4 year old in preschool a few hours a week. I agree, why are you a SAHM if your child is going to day care all day? What are you staying at home doing if it isn't raising your child?

But preschool is totally different, IMO. It's usually a few days a week for a few hours, children usually don't go to preschool until they are 3-4 years old, and it prepares them for kindergarten. Whether its necessary or not, I don't know? My mother never sent me to preschool and I did find in kindergarten. But all children are different, some probably do benefit from preschool-it gives them a head start on what they will learn in kindergarten and gets them used to being out of the house in a classroom, so that its not such a shock when kindergarten comes and they are gone every day. My son is only 21 months, but I will consider sending to him to preschool a couple days a week when he is 3 or 4.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:15 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
So your not ok if she is not working and the kid is in daycare...Like you feel like she is wasting time because she is not productive while her kid is being watched? What bothers you the most? The kid in daycare or the unworking mother?

Old 02-18-2008, 10:17 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
nanjo...

It's not "necessary". You can teach them everything they need to know... basically all they're expected to know is:

How to count to 10
How to recognize their written name
Their colors
Their shapes
Recite their abc's

If they can do more, then they'll be that much more ahead. If they have classroom experience, it will help them adjust to a classroom atmosphere. If your area doesn't have 1/2 day kindergarten, then the sudden jolt to an all day school could cause them problems, mostly behavioral. Depending on how advanced the other kids are, your child could end up getting in school help to catch up with the others. Or she could end up needing extra work and help from home because she's surpassed the others.

"At home" kids are used to getting a snack when they want, taking as much time as they need to eat lunch, playing school when they're in the mood, coloring when they want... you get the picture. Preschool can be helpful in some of those things. But necessary? No.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:27 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
So your not ok if she is not working and the kid is in daycare...Like you feel like she is wasting time because she is not productive while her kid is being watched? What bothers you the most? The kid in daycare or the unworking mother?
I wouldn't say that it bothers me, I just don't understand the point. Usually the term stay at home mom implies you are staying at home to raise and care for your children. If you are a SAHM, but you are not caring for your children because they are in full time daycare (and I'm talking full time, 40+ hours a week, not a few hours of preschool), then why are you a stay at home mom in the first place?

Old 02-18-2008, 10:29 AM

932 posts, read 1,273,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
what bothers me most is parents putting their kids in daycare when there is no reason for it.

I know a lady who put her 4 year old twins in daycare (full day) because she was 'tired of dealing with them'.

ALL mother's work (okay, not all, some don't deserve the title- but I'm pretty sure most of the ones on here do! )

Old 02-18-2008, 10:30 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
I wouldn't say that it bothers me, I just don't understand the point. Usually the term stay at home mom implies you are staying at home to raise and care for your children. If you are a SAHM, but you are not caring for your children because they are in full time daycare (and I'm talking full time, 40+ hours a week, not a few hours of preschool), then why are you a stay at home mom in the first place?
You're not. You're someone whose husband makes enough money that you don't have to work. Perhaps that's just how their relationship is. If the child is being properly cared for...nobody's business how the family is put together or who does what. Can't say I'd do things that way, but that's not the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting