Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 05:08 PM

155 posts, read 477,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Dang, how old are you?

I do remember that canal well. I'd walk up 48th Street from East High School in the mid-1970s to walk girls home or visit friends that lived up in the Sherwood Heights area, alongside that canal. There was a story told by some of the teens that lived around there that a child had been riding in the back of a pick-up truck and was thrown into that canal when the car made a sharp turn and his parents didn't realize he was missing until they got home. It seemed unlikely (how far could you be thrown by a car swerving?) and was probably just a local urban legend.
I'm not that old! I lived in that area when I was like in 3rd grade. That would be about 1963. Then we moved to Scottsdale and the newer cross cut was at the end of the street I lived on. We swam in that too but it was watched more by SRP. One of my friends little brother (about 4 years old) DID drown in the newer one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 01:31 PM

362 posts, read 1,700,614 times
Default Grand Canal

Heres a shot of the Grand Canal where it intersects Central just South of Brophy/Xavier

Check out the vintage SRP "diamond" logo. cool.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-grand-canal-brophy-1960.jpg  

Old 08-16-2010, 02:12 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Heres a shot of the Grand Canal where it intersects Central just South of Brophy/Xavier

Check out the vintage SRP "diamond" logo. cool.
I see the banks are still dirt with Johnson grass growing. There used to be a technique called moss cutting or something like that. There would be a horse on each side of the canal pulling a chain that dragged the bottom and sides of the canal cutting loose weeds, the weeds would then float down to a device that scooped up the debris.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:13 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
The first Dairy Queen I remember in Phoenix was on South Central right across the street from my grandparents house. That was in 1950. When was the first one built?

Do you remember the original (I think) Pete's Fish 'n Chips on South Central? It was just up the street from my grade school. Don't remember if it was there in 1950 but definitely in 1954 when I was in 7th grade. I also remember the one on Main St. in Mesa in 1968. Are they even still around?
My family often went to the one on Glendale Ave. BEST fish in town! It seemed like a long way to go for fish, but it was worth every bite.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:53 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
I remember the old Pete's Fish & Chips on the nw corner of 36th st. and Van Buren back in 1960 right across 32nd st from the Phoenix Drive In. I went to David Crockett school behind the drive in on 36th St. They moved it up the road across Van Buren towards the original Bill Johnson's and I think it still is there.
I never knew about that Pete's. The only one I ever knew, till I moved to Mesa, was the one on South Central. But then most of my Phoenix memories are of South Phoenix since my family lived there for over 60 years.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
Yes, The TeePee lodge there sat on the NW corner of Rural and Apache in Tempe. Thanks for the pic of that.
That place fascinated me when I was a little kid. I thought Indians really lived there! lol I remember, in the late 60s, when a bank was built really close to there on Apache that was dome shaped. First building I ever saw like that. Further up the street was the Tempe Bowl where I once worked as a waitress in the restaurant. And where I learned to bowl too.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
My family often went to the one on Glendale Ave. BEST fish in town! It seemed like a long way to go for fish, but it was worth every bite.
I never knew there were so many Pete's in Phoenix! lol I heard recently that they've lost their rep as the "BEST fish in town".

Old 08-16-2010, 06:05 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Quote:
That place fascinated me when I was a little kid. I thought Indians really lived there! lol I remember, in the late 60s, when a bank was built really close to there on Apache that was dome shaped. First building I ever saw like that. Further up the street was the Tempe Bowl where I once worked as a waitress in the restaurant. And where I learned to bowl too.
The VNB built the geodesic dome and who knows where it went to.
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-vnb-tempe-geodesic3.jpg

Old 08-16-2010, 07:32 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,618 times
How long has the Five&Diner been at 16th. St. and Colter? I know is been quite awhile and I think there are two more, Scottsdale and Tempe. It's a fun place to go late at night with friends. The food is good. Breakfast, lunch or dinner 24/7. Not cheap.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 PM

214 posts, read 646,908 times
Quote:
I never knew there were so many Pete's in Phoenix! lol I heard recently that they've lost their rep as the "BEST fish in town".
I never really considered Pete's to have great tasting food...If you wanted fish and didn't have a lot of money, then they were the place to go. Now Knock Kneed Lobster on 32nd and Van Buren has some good fish. Yumm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area