Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 01:00 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
You're equating illegal aliens and their "rights" they are demanding in Phoenix to blacks fighting slavery?

Ouch.

As for your point of the police blocking off the roads, yes, that's a different story of course, I agree.
Where did I mention illegal immigrants anywhere in my comments? I am talking about basic civil rights here, many of which for citizens who are women and people of color, and the LGBTQIA+ community.

I have not mentioned once illegal or legal immigration until right now, asking where you thought I talked about that. Why not talk about the instances I actually mentioned previously, like the Muslim ban on LEGAL VISA CARRYING PEOPLE or our right to clean water, or women having access to our very specialized medical needs given our different bodies?

Out of all the instances I named, and I named so many, you pulled one out of thin air that I didn't even say. Great derail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 01:05 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Where did I mention illegal immigrants anywhere in my comments? I am talking about basic civil rights here, many of which for citizens who are women and people of color, and the LGBTQIA+ community.

I have not mentioned once illegal or legal immigration until right now, asking where you thought I talked about that. Why not talk about the instances I actually mentioned previously, like the Muslim ban on LEGAL VISA CARRYING PEOPLE or our right to clean water, or women having access to our very specialized medical needs given our different bodies?

Out of all the instances I named, and I named so many, you pulled one out of thin air that I didn't even say. Great derail.
I did but you responded to quick(I was too slow!) while I was editing my last post on the fly.....you can read the response on the last page but here's the newly added part:

Quote:
And we currently have plenty of anti discrimination laws for ALL human beings in place who are legal citizens in this country so I'm not sure what the paranoia is about. If/when such rights are broken for an individual, the place for such matters is the court and lawsuits and legal channels, not yelling in the air in the rain in Phoenix but yes, it's their right to do so....I just find it an ineffective process overall.

As for your point of the police blocking off the roads, yes, that's a different story of course, I agree.
As for the illegal alien part, the OP mentioned the protest group is there in part of defending the rights/stand with illegal aliens so that's why I mentioned it:

"We stand with ALL IMMIGRANTS--DOCUMENTED AND UNDOCUMENTED."

Given it appears you never mentioned illegal aliens in your post which I believe you've confirmed means you don't believe illegal aliens should have rights in this country, I think we've found something to agree on and you disagree with the protestors here in Phoenix on this count and you don't stand with illegal aliens. And I stand corrected to assume you were defending them/stand with them/feel they have rights in Phoenix as is listed as one of the goals of these protestors.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I did but you responded to quick(I was too slow!) while I was editing my last post on the fly.....you can read the response on the last page but here's the newly added part:

As for the illegal alien part, the OP mentioned the protest group is there in part of defending the rights/stand with illegal aliens so that's why I mentioned it:

"We stand with ALL IMMIGRANTS--DOCUMENTED AND UNDOCUMENTED."

Given it appears you never mentioned illegal aliens in your post which I believe that means you don't believe illegal aliens should have rights in this country, I think we've found something to agree on and you disagree with the protestors here in Phoenix on this count and you don't stand with illegal aliens. And I stand corrected to assume you were defending them/feel they have rights in Phoenix.
Immigrants are still human beings and deserve basic human rights, I'm not sure why you think they don't.

We can't even give our own citizens and legal immigrants (in the process of and even naturalized if they are Middle Eastern in particular) basic human rights. Our illegal immigrants deserve it too. Anyone, even tourists, deserve them while they are within our borders.

But I didn't mention it because illegal immigration is all Republicans get stuck on and refuse to talk about other things, which is preventing police and judicial discrimination against people of color (police brutality) and women (rape culture). If you address these things then basic human rights even for illegal immigrants would be met as well. Mainly what affects illegal Hispanic immigrants also affects legalized, US-born and naturalized Hispanic immigrants as well. It's about time we start treating our discrimination issues and police profiling as something not just against "illegals" which is an offensive term, but against people who look anything other than white.

I hands down support the protestors, they align with my political beliefs except outside of the South Mountain Freeway. I'm glad to see that things are changing here for the better, and passive activism or "passtivism" is no longer an effective method for getting heard and having your demands met.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Immigrants are still human beings and deserve basic human rights, I'm not sure why you think they don't.

We can't even give our own citizens and legal immigrants (in the process of and even naturalized if they are Middle Eastern in particular) basic human rights. Our illegal immigrants deserve it too. Anyone, even tourists, deserve them while they are within our borders.

But I didn't mention it because illegal immigration is all Republicans get stuck on and refuse to talk about other things, which is preventing police and judicial discrimination against people of color (police brutality) and women (rape culture). If you address these things then basic human rights even for illegal immigrants would be met as well. Mainly what affects illegal Hispanic immigrants also affects legalized, US-born and naturalized Hispanic immigrants as well. It's about time we start treating our discrimination issues and police profiling as something not just against "illegals" which is an offensive term, but against people who look anything other than white.

I hands down support the protestors, they align with my political beliefs except outside of the South Mountain Freeway. I'm glad to see that things are changing here for the better, and passive activism or "passtivism" is no longer an effective method for getting heard and having your demands met.
This is not the politics thread but I'm not an R or D, trust none of them. I think both teams have done a pathetic/self serving job on so many matters over the decades. And in regards to the topic at hand, I'm simply for the rule of law, end of story. And yes, illegal aliens have "rights" just like businesses who hire them....the right to be deported and the right to be fined for breaking the rule of law. It's the rule of law for our nation/for Phoenix. Anarchy is apparently your game I see if you feel illegal aliens have rights in Phoenix, and you justify it in your own way, which is sadly a common theme these days.

As for your statement of "We can't even give our own citizens and legal immigrants (in the process of and even naturalized if they are Middle Eastern in particular) basic human rights.", I commented on that earlier.....if someones "basic human rights" aren't being "given" to them, there are legal channels/the court of law to address such matters that is by far the most effective manner to address such matters. Funny of all the people I've worked with, known over the years, neighbors, of all sorts of backgrounds, I've never heard one complain of their "basic human rights" not being addressed here in Phoenix. Me thinks you being a bit dramatic here.

But hey, in the end, if it gives people purpose to talk to the air/to convince the already convinced among these protestors that there's some power in all of this and some no doubt are making $/paid protestors earning a living from this working for probably a billionaire type these type of groups usually protest against(the irony is sweet on this point), more power to them.

Last edited by stevek64; 02-18-2017 at 01:47 PM..

Old 02-18-2017, 01:40 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,727,219 times
WHAT? No Universal Basic Income? This is BS!

Old 02-18-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
This is not the politics thread but I'm not an R or D, trust none of them. I think both teams have done a horrible job on so many matters over the decades. And in regards to the topic at hand, I'm simply for the rule of law, end of story. And yes, illegal aliens have "rights" just like businesses who hire them....the right to be deported and the right to be fined for breaking the rule of law. It's the rule of law for our nation/for Phoenix. Anarchy is apparently your game I see, and you justify it in your own way, which is sadly a common theme these days.
Honestly this is a very politicized thread, for obvious reasons.

And believe me us leftists (not Democrats) hate both parties as well. These protestors do to if you were to ask them about it.

I don't believe in anarchy but I believe in a decentralized government structure focused on improving income equality and heavy restrictions on economics/trade in favor of collectivism while freeing up civil rights. In other words, the very antonym of a Republican. Democrats are not the antonyms of Republicans and I think you know what I mean by when I say that. They still behave and end up proposing similar things. Democrats are still capitalists, so they are one in the same in my book.

Anyone within our borders has the right to basic decency and respect that so many of our discriminatory population doesn't think they deserve. See you're proving my point that right-leaning people (and I can tell you're right-leaning especially if you think liberals are left-leaning) get stuck on illegal immigration. Why not talk about one of the many instances I already named previously. Like rape culture or banning people with already approved legal visas not being allowed back in? These are two of the many things the protestors want to eradicate.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Honestly this is a very politicized thread, for obvious reasons.

And believe me us leftists (not Democrats) hate both parties as well. These protestors do to if you were to ask them about it.

I don't believe in anarchy but I believe in a decentralized government structure focused on improving income equality and heavy restrictions on economics/trade in favor of collectivism while freeing up civil rights. In other words, the very antonym of a Republican. Democrats are not the antonyms of Republicans and I think you know what I mean by when I say that. They still behave and end up proposing similar things. Democrats are still capitalists, so they are one in the same in my book.

Anyone within our borders has the right to basic decency and respect that so many of our discriminatory population doesn't think they deserve. See you're proving my point that right-leaning people (and I can tell you're right-leaning especially if you think liberals are left-leaning) get stuck on illegal immigration. Why not talk about one of the many instances I already named previously. Like rape culture or banning people with already approved legal visas not being allowed back in? These are two of the many things the protestors want to eradicate.
We got it, illegal aliens are fine here in Phoenix, you don't have to justify it anymore. That particular rule of law in your mind shouldn't apply, pick and choosy time. Anarchist viewpoint.

In regards to your other point/labeling others, if believing the federal law on immigration in Phoenix should be followed and enforced against illegal aliens and businesses that hire them defines me as right, left, warm, cold, upside down, 38 degrees to the top/left/almost right/kind of left to Sunday, it's all cool, label away and stick to your labeling.....many people like myself just believe that the rule of law should be enforced, not ignored at one's own will because it selfishly serves a goal/agenda, ie, anarchy.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:25 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,524,514 times
They made a choice to break OUR laws

At the end of the day they are just illegal aliens who have no respect
for America or OUR laws...Actions speak louder then words

Old 02-19-2017, 08:50 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Anti-Trump protesters display signs over I-10 in Phoenix | 12NEWS.com

"PHOENIX - Protesters took to a bridge over Interstate 10 Friday to voice their displeasure with President Donald Trump.

The Arizona Department of Public Safety blocked off at least one freeway exit ramp in the area, and sent dozens of officers to the protest, asking the public to avoid the area."

Includes a 43 second video...

Old 02-19-2017, 09:12 AM

94 posts, read 119,709 times
Didn't the American people and the people of Arizona vote against those things when they elected Trump? I mean it was very clear where Trump and Clinton stood on all of those issues- no one was deceived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area