Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 11:36 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I know it's really hard to fight through all this suppression, but fellow citizens, it is worth it to make that Sisyphean effort, to try, try, and try again to vote successfully even if it sometimes seems like trying roll a boulder up a hill.

The year of our Lord 2016 was a banner year for me in the voting department, as I managed to overcome the suppression successfully to vote in four different elections. I wasn't sure I could do it, but I can look back with civic pride and say that when the voting got tough, the tough got voting.

Like our beloved Phoenix rising from the ashes, I overcame hegemonic oppression to open the yellow envelope I received in the mail, retrive a black pen, remove its cap, mark the ballot in the places I wanted to mark it, and...lastly, and with great resolve, I summoned the strength to sign and lick the envelope, close the flap, and ask my wife to walk it to the mailbox.
I have great respect for the hardships you endured that so many face in regards to voting suppression. And that last step to the mailbox, that was a tricky one indeed.....how you got your wife to walk that to the mailbox that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 11:42 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
I love the assumptions made by many here that these protestors didn't vote. None of you know that. Neither do I. So let's not lambast them for something that may not in fact be true.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:44 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I love the assumptions made by many here that these protestors didn't vote. None of you know that. Neither do I. So let's not lambast them for something that may not in fact be true.
Playing the odds, it's a good assumption bet.

Voter turnout at 20-year low in 2016 - CNNPolitics.com

Old 02-21-2017, 01:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjoan View Post
Wow. I am sorry you are so upset. Actually I know quite a bit about voter suppression. I don't know anyplace around here that delivers an ID to a person. People around here have to go to the DMV, if and when if happens to be open that is. I don't know what your talking about ballots, people around here go to their polling place. Again, sorry I hit a nerve, but I actually do know what the issue of voter suppression is...Peace to you.
Not upset, just asking you to clarify what you classify as "voter suppression" and giving some past examples of what some classified as the same.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
I know it's really hard to fight through all this suppression, but fellow citizens, it is worth it to make that Sisyphean effort, to try, try, and try again to vote successfully even if it sometimes seems like trying roll a boulder up a hill.

The year of our Lord 2016 was a banner year for me in the voting department, as I managed to overcome the suppression successfully to vote in four different elections. I wasn't sure I could do it, but I can look back with civic pride and say that when the voting got tough, the tough got voting.

Like our beloved Phoenix rising from the ashes, I overcame hegemonic oppression to open the yellow envelope I received in the mail, retrive a black pen, remove its cap, mark the ballot in the places I wanted to mark it, and...lastly, and with great resolve, I summoned the strength to sign and lick the envelope, close the flap, and ask my wife to walk it to the mailbox.
Let's not downplay the physical risk you faced, paper cuts, especially those to the mouth (licking the envelope) as well as potential enviro-poisoning are a very real deadly risk!
I think you deserve the Medal of Freedom for your valiant effort while putting aside the very high personal risk to life and limb...

Old 02-21-2017, 03:06 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,374,340 times
Quote:

In my best Marlon Brando voice: The horror... the horror.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:08 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,374,340 times
Quote:

I guarantee every last one of them voted. These people have nothing else in their life but having their petty opinions, which they exercise on election day. I hope you don't think they had to work that day...

Old 02-21-2017, 03:56 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,150,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Not upset, just asking you to clarify what you classify as "voter suppression" and giving some past examples of what some classified as the same.
"voter suppression": The belief that minorities are so helpless that they can't find an MVD, open a door and fill out paperwork ONCE for a State ID or AZ Driving License that is valid until they are 65 years old.

See Also: Inability to receive mail or have access to the Internet to register for Early Voting (voting by mail) or access to the Service Arizona website to register to vote.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:26 PM

94 posts, read 119,736 times
Quote:
I mentioned electioneering not voting. Spending 5 or 6 hours knocking on doors each weekend day leading up to the election is a lot less glamorous than playing glamour victim and being a virtue signaling peacock on tv. "Look how good I am- Look how good I am". My guess is that these "protesters" are attention whores who know little and care little about actual issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGkICcgRNy0 start at the 9 second mark and you will see what I mean.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:30 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,150,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddandano View Post
I mentioned electioneering not voting. Spending 5 or 6 hours knocking on doors each weekend day leading up to the election is a lot less glamorous than playing glamour victim and being a virtue signaling peacock on tv. "Look how good I am- Look how good I am". My guess is that these "protesters" are attention whores who know little and care little about actual issues.
Actually there has been some evidence out there that they are actually being employed to protest. Not sure if it is true or not...but it is out there. May just be "Alternative Facts"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area