Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 03:32 PM

94 posts, read 119,687 times

Advertisements

It just comes down to this: if you care enough to protest, you should have done some electioneering (knocking on doors and working on phones). I would be very surprised if these protesters knocked on doors for the election (HRC did not have many volunteers compared to Obama). Elections are won by "getting out the vote" which means hours of hard unpaid work. It is a lot more glamorous and glitzy to be on tv protesting than to go door to door for 5 or 6 hours a day on your weekends leading up to the election. These people are attention whores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 04:10 PM

848 posts, read 967,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
the reality is, most of this country couldnt stand the thought of EITHER of them winning, they just felt they hated Him less than they hated her...
What drives me absolutely nuts is that so many people can't see beyond binary for elections, presidential or otherwise. R or D. That's it (let's not kid ourselves that they're voting for people; they're voting for letters). Lesser of two evils. That's a terrible way to vote. There are always more than people running for president. "But they won't win, so why vote for them," is exactly why they won't win. A self-fulfilling prophecy.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:42 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
What drives me absolutely nuts is that so many people can't see beyond binary for elections, presidential or otherwise. R or D. That's it (let's not kid ourselves that they're voting for people; they're voting for letters). Lesser of two evils. That's a terrible way to vote. There are always more than people running for president. "But they won't win, so why vote for them," is exactly why they won't win. A self-fulfilling prophecy.
agree; we hated the fact that we had to choose to vote for one or 2 of the most undesirable to us candidates in our lifetimes; hopefully, some day real soon, a third political party will gather enough supporters, money, and strength to allow us to start having 3 choices for president, just in case future elections are a repeat of this one, with 2 candidates that aren't supported by ANY majority groups in this country..

Old 02-20-2017, 04:50 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
It's funny how they probably won't do this in 110 degrees
Why is that funny, only an idiot would stand around in 110 deg heat.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:06 AM

83 posts, read 75,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So, it's "voter suppression" to demand that people prove who they are and that they are legally entitled to vote? Wow, how'd I miss THAT leap to a conclusion?
In some states they'll even deliver the ID to your home, or come pick you up and take you to go get one, a NO COST ID at that.
So, please explain how that's suppression again?
Oh wait, it must be when they can't come to your house and pick up your ballot or allow some third party to deliver it for you...
I'd suggest some on here read some history and become educated on what real "voter suppression" is...
Wow. I am sorry you are so upset. Actually I know quite a bit about voter suppression. I don't know anyplace around here that delivers an ID to a person. People around here have to go to the DMV, if and when if happens to be open that is. I don't know what your talking about ballots, people around here go to their polling place. Again, sorry I hit a nerve, but I actually do know what the issue of voter suppression is...Peace to you.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:09 AM

83 posts, read 75,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Agreed, I think it came down to jobs. They may not like Trump but if he can keep a factory in their town from leaving, that's all they care about. A lot of working class and minorities voted for Trump for this reason.
That is a good point.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:27 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The protests and demonstrations are not about influencing people who are supporting Trump. They are about energizing the people who are opposed. Much like the so-called tea party started invading town halls etc. in the first days of the Obama administration, the idea is to get some sort of coherent movement going that would have an impact on upcoming elections. The wingnuts managed to do that in the 2010 election. Time will tell whether that will work out for the other side in 2018.

That's all well and good, but I don't remember the old ladies of Tea Party fame blocking people from getting to their jobs in 2010. They weren't bullies, in other words.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:33 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,540 times
Having to show ID is voter suppression? How difficult is it to obtain and show an ID card? Not very. It's more difficult to drive through a snow storm or sitting rain on the road than it is to show ID. With that being said, can I charge mother nature with voter suppression since there was snow on the ground in some places on election day?

Let's face it, if showing ID is too monumental a task, then bad weather would likely also keep you from voting. Or the horrendous act of picking up a pen. Stop being physically lazy (in addition to intellectually).

Old 02-21-2017, 11:09 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Having to show ID is voter suppression? How difficult is it to obtain and show an ID card? Not very. It's more difficult to drive through a snow storm or sitting rain on the road than it is to show ID. With that being said, can I charge mother nature with voter suppression since there was snow on the ground in some places on election day?

Let's face it, if showing ID is too monumental a task, then bad weather would likely also keep you from voting. Or the horrendous act of picking up a pen. Stop being physically lazy (in addition to intellectually).
Voter ID laws are designed to make it more difficult for poor and elderly people to vote, proposed by Republicans to make it easier for them to win elections. Period. The Pennsylvania Secretary of State admitted that in 2012 when he proudly proclaimed that the Voter ID law that had been implemented in that state would win the state for Mitt Romney. There is no evidence of any significant in person voter fraud, which is the problem that these laws claim to be solving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuOT1bRYdK8

Old 02-21-2017, 11:28 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
I know it's really hard to fight through all this suppression, but fellow citizens, it is worth it to make that Sisyphean effort, to try, try, and try again to vote successfully even if it sometimes seems like trying roll a boulder up a hill.

The year of our Lord 2016 was a banner year for me in the voting department, as I managed to overcome the suppression successfully to vote in four different elections. I wasn't sure I could do it, but I can look back with civic pride and say that when the voting got tough, the tough got voting.

Like our beloved Phoenix rising from the ashes, I overcame hegemonic oppression to open the yellow envelope I received in the mail, retrive a black pen, remove its cap, mark the ballot in the places I wanted to mark it, and...lastly, and with great resolve, I summoned the strength to sign and lick the envelope, close the flap, and ask my wife to walk it to the mailbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area