Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 12:46 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddandano View Post
All the more reason for then to spend their time on elections instead of this sort of thing! You have proven my point thank you!
We don't disagree here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 04:38 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Where did I mention illegal immigrants anywhere in my comments? I am talking about basic civil rights here, many of which for citizens who are women and people of color, and the LGBTQIA+ community.

I have not mentioned once illegal or legal immigration until right now, asking where you thought I talked about that. Why not talk about the instances I actually mentioned previously, like the Muslim ban on LEGAL VISA CARRYING PEOPLE or our right to clean water, or women having access to our very specialized medical needs given our different bodies?

Out of all the instances I named, and I named so many, you pulled one out of thin air that I didn't even say. Great derail.
First, it was NEVER a "muslim ban"..just a ban on anyone coming in from certain countries..muslims from anywhere else in the world, which, if I recall was 85% of the WORLDS muslims, was NOT restricted..
Second, who is taking away your right to clean drinking water? are you saying with certainty that there will be no more clean drinking water if the pipeline is built?
Third, please show me where anything has been passed that will eliminate women getting any sort of specialized medical needs? I assume you are referring to planned parenthood, not selling baby body parts, passing out birth control like candy, and being the number provider of abortions in the universe?
Women can still get birth control, they can still get abortions, its just alot of taxpayers dont want to fund planned parenthood as the conduit for all that..

The great thing about america is that everyone of its citizens can express their opinion, and state it where ever they want; it used to be without fear of reprisals, but, if god forbid you are a trump supporter anywhere in the bastions of liberal-ness, you better have a armor suit on, and be prepared to fight for your life, because suddenly, there seems to be room for only ONE side's expression of opinions in many areas of this county..

I never liked most of the last eight years of Obama, and most of his policies and his appointees, but I ALWAYS respected the fact that he was the president of the entire country, and respected him and the office for that...I guess that viewpoint is no longer allowed in the USA, unless you hate the person in the office now..please tell me why its ok to disrespect the office now...

Last edited by wase4711; 02-19-2017 at 04:48 PM..

Old 02-20-2017, 06:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Seems to me there are a lot of people in this country mad at life in general because they've been told by the likes of Bernie Sanders, BHO, etc. that the only reason they're broke is because someone far away has all the lazy people's money in a huge bank account somewhere and are too greedy to release it. Why, if that top one percent would just hand all their money out to those who haven't earned it, we'd be living in paradise. So until that day comes, they're going to block working people from getting to their jobs, demand free college, free food, free healthcare... oh, and we have to let the rest of the world in to get free stuff too. And by the way, those people blocking you from getting to work are the intellectuals, and you people are the stupid ones for not recognizing that you shouldn't have to work, you can just protest for a living.
Good point, there's even a song by the Gatlin Brothers about CA's ruling political class...

Quote:
All the gold in California
Is in the bank in the middle of Beverly Hills
In somebody else's name.
So if you're dreamin' about California,
It don't matter at all where you've played before.
California's a brand-new game.
Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers - All The Gold In California Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Old 02-20-2017, 06:28 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
WHAT? No Universal Basic Income? This is BS!
Hahaha, nailed it!

As Jon Talton has been repeatedly pointing out on his Twitter every time there's a march or a protest across the country ... "This doesn't make one Republican in a red district worried about keeping his or her seat."

I think that's a good point to remember...there is so much outrage and protest and sky-is-falling commentary out there right now that is really just sound and fury and has absolutely nothing to do with midterm elections...for which the usual 20% of Americans will vote.

Think about it...Trump is in the eyes of many the most dangerous president America's had in their lifetimes...and yet 40 percent of eligible voters couldn't be bothered to vote. I'm sure a lot of them have OPINIONS ... so why didn't they vote?

Heck, I voted FOUR times in 2016...in March, May, August and November. I had my say in a lot of things. Some things I "won" and others things I "lost" (and or am still losing) but at least I did my part. It's not that hard to earn the right to complain.

Fun fact, you can check your voting record at:
https://voter.azsos.gov/VoterView/RegistrantSearch.do

Old 02-20-2017, 06:38 AM

551 posts, read 693,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
As Jon Talton has been repeatedly pointing out on his Twitter every time there's a march or a protest across the country ... "This doesn't make one Republican in a red district worried about keeping his or her seat."
They're just solidifying 50 more years of Republican domination.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:41 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
They're just solidifying 50 more years of Republican domination.
I think that's a real concern for the left. I think many of the people who voted for Trump really enjoy liberal outrage. Some people like the OP get really ticked off or take it personally, but a lot of other people really enjoy it ... they think it's hilarious. It's schadenfreude, I guess.

As for me, I guess it's kind of like the early years of the last few Presidents' terms...the constant protesting and outrage and so forth...I just get bored with it. I voted, I pay attention, but I don't need to be consuming the daily cycle of outrage that seems to be breathlessly perpetuated by one group or another no matter what happens or who's in power.

In terms of AZ relevance...until the AZ Dems can mobilize potential voters to vote and turn this state's "purple" demographics into anything but a blood-red state government...I don't know how relevant any protest is. None of it matters until the liberals get people to the polls.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:24 AM

83 posts, read 75,691 times
Quote:
It's funny how people don't care about human rights until it interferes with convenience.
I noticed that too.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:25 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Quote:
They are bolded for you.

Instances of such:

- Muslim ban.
- All the instances of police brutality should not be any news for you. How many times have you seen cops or security guards use excessive force? It's regularly and while more targeted against black people and other POC however the police have used excessive force on white people countless of times. This is for more police accountability.
- Militarized police sending attack dogs on Dakota Access Pipeline protestors.
- Bathroom discrimination.
- Defunding Planned Parenthood was many ways for women to get cervical cancer screenings, pap smears, and mammograms for poor women. There's also the Brock Turner case and many since that favored the rapist, even in proven situations, over the raped. I can name such an instance where a guy raped his own five year old daughter and received no jail time. I can also name a more recent case where a teenager was let off on the promise of "just promise to be abstinent until marriage" by one judge who has a history of giving that same sentence to sexual assault perpetrators. Rape culture and unreported sexual abuse and harassment is one way many women don't receive equal treatment, many don't report because of the condescending treatment they receive and know that with these kind of judges and juries in that position know it won't really provide justice.
- The constant prioritization by our government in favor of corporations, making sure we still fight amongst each other instead of the people keeping things more stressful and less affordable for us. Corporations have seen outstanding increases in profit and in their top executives without any of that profit transferring to the lower rungs of the corporation. The system no longer favors the middle and lower classes.
- The current executive order allowing coal mines to dump debris into rivers and streams affecting the local water supply is one. In another way, the Dakota Access Pipeline also falls here. Also Trump's executive order not allowing the CDC or the EPA to hold any form of conference or talk on climate change, or even report temperature data (see the Badlands Twitter account incident).

Isn't it nice when your voice is heard? That's why people protest.
The Muslim ban? Its only temporary. Where were these idiot protestors when Obama banned them? 19 times!!!!

Police brutality? How about brutality against police? How about cops being murdered simply because of the color of their skin by BLM members? The terrorist organization that our ex-POTUS slimebag sided with!!!

Militarized police? Attack dogs? The DAPL protest was a joke. It wasn't disrupting sacred ground, wasn't vandalizing and burial ground, and wont cause environmental issues, just like the 200 other pipelines that GASP! crisscross the USA and that includes on Native soil. There are no protests about those! Hmmm.

Defunding Planned Parenthood? Good! All your leftist loonies are crying "stay out of my sex life!" Or "stay out of my gender preferences!" Or "what I do in my bedroom is my business!" But then they scream "pay for my mistake!" How convenient! Sorry, I already got screwed on health insurance by your favorite ex-dictator Obama, I aint paying for your murder, you lowlife.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:28 AM

83 posts, read 75,691 times
Quote:
"omg no you should protest the system the way the system wants you to protest!" Gee, then it's not really a protest if you're cooperating with the very thing you are protesting against, no?

MLK led many protests blocking roadways. Clearly it has worked before because the Civil Rights Movement was a success. It's getting their protest coverage which means it's working now. People only listen when they are inconvenienced. Which is a damn shame that many people prioritize less traffic over the basic rights of others.

It's real privilege to be able to ignore these issues because they don't affect you. For a large chunk of our population (women, LGBTQIA+, and/or POC), these issues ridicule them every day. They interfere with their livelihood.

Many people feel that no party (and really no party will as a whole) will defend their rights and have given up voting as a whole. This in large is the Hispanic community in Arizona as someone brought up earlier. Many feel that they do not have any power. Our government makes sure they have less power than other people. It has done so since our foundation and clearly likes to continue doing so with the Muslim ban.

Go around and ask how many people have given up cause they don't see real change ever occurring within our government. It was almost half of all Americans in this Presidential election. They saw both of the candidates as a trash fire (which they are) and decided not to vote. That mindset applies locally as well.

Without the help of those who have the power, this dynamic really will not change. Too many people are complicit in what atrocities continue to be done on a regular basis. Because they are privileged and it does not affect them, so they can afford to be apolitical. Some people cannot be. Without people demanding real change and what they want our government to do/provide in some cases (which is always in the form of a protest, it's a protected right for a reason) we won't really get the results they want.

I'm proud of these people protesting peacefully (you can see them standing on the sidewalk) holding signs over the freeway to try to get their message out and change things for the better. What are you doing (or even attempting to do) to change our political system for the better, huh? Post anonymously about politics on a forum about cities? Yeah, cause that is what really changes things.
Agreed. If nothing else, it has woken people up one way or another. Voting is great, however voter suppression seems to be a tactic all over the country.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:43 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjoan View Post
Agreed. If nothing else, it has woken people up one way or another. Voting is great, however voter suppression seems to be a tactic all over the country.
So, it's "voter suppression" to demand that people prove who they are and that they are legally entitled to vote? Wow, how'd I miss THAT leap to a conclusion?
In some states they'll even deliver the ID to your home, or come pick you up and take you to go get one, a NO COST ID at that.
So, please explain how that's suppression again?
Oh wait, it must be when they can't come to your house and pick up your ballot or allow some third party to deliver it for you...
I'd suggest some on here read some history and become educated on what real "voter suppression" is...

Last edited by jimj; 02-20-2017 at 08:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area