Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2018, 10:53 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Source?
She just makes it up as she goes.

The problem with subs has already been stated... we don’t have enough. People seem to have this idea that we have an army of teachers hiding somewhere waiting to be deployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 10:57 PM

69 posts, read 77,180 times
They should be fired. What other profession could just walk out strike and not get fired?

Old 04-30-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorgirlUtah View Post
They should be fired. What other profession could just walk out strike and not get fired?
Then what?

Old 05-01-2018, 12:51 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Call your local legislaturers and ask them why the vote is taking so long. Thursday they adjourned over the weekend so no vote and today there was nothing done as well. Why are the teachers the one you blame when the legislature is dragging their damn feet.
I was simply stating a fact: this is no longer a simple walkout to draw attention to an issue, it is a strike. I said nothing about blaming teachers (I could blame some people but I didn't in the post you replied to).

And yes, you are correct, the Gov and legislaturers will most definitely take their time now in order to try an sow discord among parents, teachers, organizers, union reps, tax payers, Et Al. Politics is a pendulum.

IMHO, teachers have to be careful that they (or others) don't gamble away too much of the good will they've accumulated.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:11 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Then what?
Increase base pay and replace them. The school year is basically over at this point and Ducey has promised the raises; with an upcoming election to hold him to it and he has vetoed unrelated bills to get it done I'd wager it gets done. Teachers should have gone back to their classroom after Monday and since they haven't the districts should be looking to at least fire the newest ones and replace them with their soon to be higher base pays.

As far as administration should be concerned they are going to have to go to the voters for more money through overrides and this whole situation isn't going to help them get that money, Dysart voted no not long ago and there wasn't any of this crap going on. The longer this goes on the more support the teachers/schools are going to lose and gaining that back later on won't be as easy.

It would be nice to hear that the delays are because they are trying to implement some improved standards for the teachers, test scores, student proficiency metrics, graduation rates, etc. If they are getting a billion dollars a year more, an additional 8% or so of our states budget I think but I could be wrong, they should be held to a higher standard. I've said it a bunch on here though, money doesn't improve education so this "for the kids" bull is lies, the teachers just want bigger paychecks which isn't wrong itself. I'm not expecting to see any real improvements though and even if we threw away $20 billion more a year I doubt we would see a 5% improvement.

I don't really care either way I just find the whole thing moronic yet interesting to watch. I don't have kids in the system and never will because the public education system is a hot pile of garbage and I have the resources to provide my kids with a real education.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:30 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Then what?
Take the Regan approach.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:17 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorgirlUtah View Post
Lol..

And, the "end game" is revealed..

Underpay & abuse the employees on a long-term scale, fire them when they get "uppity" and then declare that the private (for profit) schools can do a "much better job at a lower cost"..

Then award some contracts to your friends, & in a few years gradually turn the screws so education becomes even more expensive than it was, but even less goes to the people actually doing the work.

I will remind you that the *only* budget item in AZ that consistently got 10% hikes in payments during the economic collapse in AZ was our for-profit prisons.

Right at the time when we were selling our Capitol and leasing it back, closing all the rest areas, eliminating medical & mental - health coverage for even more people, even going so far as to try to eliminate organ transplants for prisoners to save money, these legislators found a few bucks for the prisons "to keep us safe"..

You really want to turn over the reins to for-profit schools, so they can dole out "for the children" as a rationale for outsized budget increases, no matter what the budget dictates?

Cause "fire the teachers" is exactly how you get a for-profit education system. (And it won't be cheaper than a public one, bank on that).

Old 05-01-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Increase base pay and replace them. The school year is basically over at this point and Ducey has promised the raises; with an upcoming election to hold him to it and he has vetoed unrelated bills to get it done I'd wager it gets done. Teachers should have gone back to their classroom after Monday and since they haven't the districts should be looking to at least fire the newest ones and replace them with their soon to be higher base pays.

As far as administration should be concerned they are going to have to go to the voters for more money through overrides and this whole situation isn't going to help them get that money, Dysart voted no not long ago and there wasn't any of this crap going on. The longer this goes on the more support the teachers/schools are going to lose and gaining that back later on won't be as easy.

It would be nice to hear that the delays are because they are trying to implement some improved standards for the teachers, test scores, student proficiency metrics, graduation rates, etc. If they are getting a billion dollars a year more, an additional 8% or so of our states budget I think but I could be wrong, they should be held to a higher standard. I've said it a bunch on here though, money doesn't improve education so this "for the kids" bull is lies, the teachers just want bigger paychecks which isn't wrong itself. I'm not expecting to see any real improvements though and even if we threw away $20 billion more a year I doubt we would see a 5% improvement.

I don't really care either way I just find the whole thing moronic yet interesting to watch. I don't have kids in the system and never will because the public education system is a hot pile of garbage and I have the resources to provide my kids with a real education.
They’d just replace each other and get raises? We already have a teacher shortage...

Old 05-01-2018, 07:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Take the Regan approach.
As I've said to others, I'd love to see them try that. That would be the end of the Governor and the Legislature as the schools would not reopen for quite a while.

Y'all must think there's qualified,ready,willing and able teachers just standing by saying "if only pay would go up 20% I'd rush to work in AZ".
Somehow me thinks not...

Old 05-01-2018, 07:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Lol..

And, the "end game" is revealed..

Underpay & abuse the employees on a long-term scale, fire them when they get "uppity" and then declare that the private (for profit) schools can do a "much better job at a lower cost"..

Then award some contracts to your friends, & in a few years gradually turn the screws so education becomes even more expensive than it was, but even less goes to the people actually doing the work.

I will remind you that the *only* budget item in AZ that consistently got 10% hikes in payments during the economic collapse in AZ was our for-profit prisons.

Right at the time when we were selling our Capitol and leasing it back, closing all the rest areas, eliminating medical & mental - health coverage for even more people, even going so far as to try to eliminate organ transplants for prisoners to save money, these legislators found a few bucks for the prisons "to keep us safe"..

You really want to turn over the reins to for-profit schools, so they can dole out "for the children" as a rationale for outsized budget increases, no matter what the budget dictates?

Cause "fire the teachers" is exactly how you get a for-profit education system. (And it won't be cheaper than a public one, bank on that).
Didn't you get the memo? Prisons and Jails are waaaay more important to our youth and education than Schools and/or Teachers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area