Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 02:15 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times

Advertisements

Heat sparks multiple mountain rescues around Phoenix area - Arizona's Family

More idiots hiking in the heat, becoming injured, dehydrated, or disoriented, and having to be rescued. Wasting tax money and wasting paramedics' time to save a bunch of bozos who caused their own problems, when the paramedics can & should be attending to REAL emergencies. My question is: why hike in the heat? In fact, what's the big thrill of hiking in the Phoenix area "mountains" when there are so many cooler, prettier, and less crowded hiking spots in northern & eastern AZ?!

Several years ago, I and many others called for a Stupid Hiker Law to be passed ... however, anymore I'm not so sure this would be very effective. What should be done instead is to simply put signs on the entrances to the hiking trails stating: SOCIAL DARWINISM BEGINS HERE, HIKE AT YOUR OWN RISK. There should be absolutely no rescues. If somebody is too inexperienced and ignorant to understand the risks, especially in these extreme temperatures, then too bad. Let the coyotes have them as a snack!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 06:10 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,728,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme Mann View Post
stupid snowbirds

Absolutely, especially the 14, 33 and 43 year old versions who forgot to fly north for the summer.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:20 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,638,553 times
Some people have to learn the hard way.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:05 PM

169 posts, read 281,506 times
I agree with OP that these hikers are morons but I bet the vast majority are not Phoenix locals. They're mostly tourists from Canada and the midwest. I personally enjoy hiking in the summer when the trails are less crowded. I wear a long sleeved shirt, a hat, and take more than enough water. Nothing more frustrating than trying to hike a crowded trail with unfit slow pokes in front of you. It's like waiting in line at the grocery store.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:53 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
I agree with OP that these hikers are morons but I bet the vast majority are not Phoenix locals. They're mostly tourists from Canada and the midwest. I personally enjoy hiking in the summer when the trails are less crowded. I wear a long sleeved shirt, a hat, and take more than enough water. Nothing more frustrating than trying to hike a crowded trail with unfit slow pokes in front of you. It's like waiting in line at the grocery store.
Ahem, why would someone from Canada or the Midwest journey to Phoenix during the boiling hot season when in the Midwest a high of 80's this time of year is commonplace.

Answer: They wouldn't.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:58 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,738,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Ahem, why would someone from Canada or the Midwest journey to Phoenix during the boiling hot season when in the Midwest a high of 80's this time of year is commonplace.

Answer: They wouldn't.
Work trips... they happen year round.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:53 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,710,724 times
Unfortunately, Logic and Common Sense are in short supply nowadays.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:55 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Work trips... they happen year round.
Yeah, and I'll bet 99 % of the hikers in the summer up Camelback are locals. Not that it couldn't happen to those uninformed Canadians and Midwesterners.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:28 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme Mann View Post
LOL yeah work not hike. If any tourists are hiking in AZ in July it's the Grand Canyon or Flagstaff. Ill bet money everyone of those mentioned in the OPs link are locals. Every winter I walk past the monument to Cody at the Apache trailhead.
I tend to agree. I can't imagine why anybody here on a business trip would want to venture out on a mountain trail knowing how dangerously hot it is, especially when there are more city oriented things available which are mostly indoors. Also, I recently spent more than a week in northern AZ, and I found some great out of the way hiking spots north of Flagstaff that were shady, green, and moist from all the rain. Much more pleasant, and better views than anything around the Phoenix area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Yeah, and I'll bet 99 % of the hikers in the summer up Camelback are locals. Not that it couldn't happen to those uninformed Canadians and Midwesterners.
I really don't care if they're locals or not. Common sense should dictate that it's not very smart or safe to hike in the extreme heat, regardless of where they're from. If they can't grasp this basic common sense, then they're on their own as far as I'm concerned. We shouldn't be wasting our tax dollars and paramedics' valuable time to rescue them from their self inflicted predicaments.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:31 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Heat sparks multiple mountain rescues around Phoenix area - Arizona's Family

More idiots hiking in the heat, becoming injured, dehydrated, or disoriented, and having to be rescued. Wasting tax money and wasting paramedics' time to save a bunch of bozos who caused their own problems, when the paramedics can & should be attending to REAL emergencies. My question is: why hike in the heat? In fact, what's the big thrill of hiking in the Phoenix area "mountains" when there are so many cooler, prettier, and less crowded hiking spots in northern & eastern AZ?!

Several years ago, I and many others called for a Stupid Hiker Law to be passed ... however, anymore I'm not so sure this would be very effective. What should be done instead is to simply put signs on the entrances to the hiking trails stating: SOCIAL DARWINISM BEGINS HERE, HIKE AT YOUR OWN RISK. There should be absolutely no rescues. If somebody is too inexperienced and ignorant to understand the risks, especially in these extreme temperatures, then too bad. Let the coyotes have them as a snack!
One simple rule for hikers is to use basic common sense on hot days, along with making sure they have enough water with them to stay hydrated, wearing proper gear, etc. But, one very important rule for every person to remember is to KNOW their limits in extreme conditions, which is where some people get in trouble. They know it's too hot, yet they go ahead and do the hike; everyone's tolerance to heat is different and what works for the person you saw hike all the way to the top of the trail when it's 110 degrees, may put you in danger if you try it.

A lot of people probably don't feel like driving to the high country for just a hike, and personally, I wouldn't try to hike up difficult trails during the hottest parts of the summer, like those that take us to the top of Squaw Peak, I'd pick an easy trail, like those on the north side of Squaw Peak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area