Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 04:33 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

I can't stand Joe supporters or haters. Joe supporters exaggerate and accuse anyone critical of the Sheriff of supporting open borders or amnesty for illegals. And the Joe haters accuse him of only being a showboat who doesn't do anything.

Like with anything in life, the truth is often in the middle. The reality is both sides are right. Joe is an egomaniac who wastes tax payers dollars showboating. But Joe is also a determined Sherriff who has kept this county safe by actually enforcing the law. And let's be honest, Joe showboats and has cost this county millions in lawsuits. He also racially profiles. That being said, I don't think racially profiling is necessarily racist. Sorry but the statistics don't lie. African Americans and Hispanics make up a small percentage of the U.S. population but make up a far larger percentage of the criminal population in this country. So when a higher percentage of your racial population commits crimes, people are naturally going to start investigating your people. And I don't see anything wrong with that. It's one thing to mistreat someone who has proven to be innocent due to their race and it's another thing entirely to run someone's plates and investigate potential criminals. Police work isn't an objective science. Much of it is based on instinct and police officers are allowed to use their instinct and judgement to address crime. Unfortunately, I think it's a double standard to ask officers to use their instincts and judgement yet they have to be politcally correct at the same time??

I don't care if you support or oppose Joe. Just quit the stupid games and call it like it is. If you oppose Joe because he is racially profiling and is arrogant, fine I get that but then don't make up b.s. about him not doing his job because he is doing his job even if he simultaneously wastes money showboating. Likewise if you support Joe, don't accuse Joe opponents for loving open borders and illegal immigration. You are intelligent enough to know they don't support that but oppose Joe for his personality and approach to crime.

It's like the healthcare debate. Most Americans agree that reform needs to take place but we don't agree on how that reform should be administered. Likewise, I think most Arizonans agree that illegal immigration needs to be curtailed but people differ on how it should be addressed.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-16-2009 at 04:59 AM..

Old 08-16-2009, 10:20 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I can't stand Joe supporters or haters. Joe supporters exaggerate and accuse anyone critical of the Sheriff of supporting open borders or amnesty for illegals. And the Joe haters accuse him of only being a showboat who doesn't do anything.

Like with anything in life, the truth is often in the middle. The reality is both sides are right. Joe is an egomaniac who wastes tax payers dollars showboating. But Joe is also a determined Sherriff who has kept this county safe by actually enforcing the law. And let's be honest, Joe showboats and has cost this county millions in lawsuits. He also racially profiles. That being said, I don't think racially profiling is necessarily racist. Sorry but the statistics don't lie. African Americans and Hispanics make up a small percentage of the U.S. population but make up a far larger percentage of the criminal population in this country. So when a higher percentage of your racial population commits crimes, people are naturally going to start investigating your people. And I don't see anything wrong with that. It's one thing to mistreat someone who has proven to be innocent due to their race and it's another thing entirely to run someone's plates and investigate potential criminals. Police work isn't an objective science. Much of it is based on instinct and police officers are allowed to use their instinct and judgement to address crime. Unfortunately, I think it's a double standard to ask officers to use their instincts and judgement yet they have to be politcally correct at the same time??

I don't care if you support or oppose Joe. Just quit the stupid games and call it like it is. If you oppose Joe because he is racially profiling and is arrogant, fine I get that but then don't make up b.s. about him not doing his job because he is doing his job even if he simultaneously wastes money showboating. Likewise if you support Joe, don't accuse Joe opponents for loving open borders and illegal immigration. You are intelligent enough to know they don't support that but oppose Joe for his personality and approach to crime.

It's like the healthcare debate. Most Americans agree that reform needs to take place but we don't agree on how that reform should be administered. Likewise, I think most Arizonans agree that illegal immigration needs to be curtailed but people differ on how it should be addressed.
So Joe's job is to raid county building and seize computers by force? And on top of that defy a judges order to return them? So what you are implying is that as long as Joe does his job, who cares if he breaks the law? Which he did in this case...No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:59 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I wonder what happens when a sheriff refuses to obey a court order and is found in contempt. Does DPS arrest him? It could get interesting next week.
lol i'd love to see that.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:48 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
So Joe's job is to raid county building and seize computers by force? And on top of that defy a judges order to return them? So what you are implying is that as long as Joe does his job, who cares if he breaks the law? Which he did in this case...No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
I think they have been given till Wednesday to comply or face contempt. By then he will have whatever he is looking for on the machine and have deleted anything that he does not want others to see.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:53 PM

20 posts, read 58,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think they have been given till Wednesday to comply or face contempt. By then he will have whatever he is looking for on the machine and have deleted anything that he does not want others to see.
I should hope the county backed everything up.

I'm not expecting much, nothing ever sticks to the man.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times
AzRiverfan,

It's not always the case that the truth is somewhere in the middle. This may be such a case. Sheriff Joe could either be an evil guy or a saint. I am tired of people who say there are no black and whites. They make a logical fallacy by that one statement alone ("There are no black and whites", or "there are no absolutes.").

The act of compromise got us the Congress that we have today, for example. I do not think there can be any compromise between individual liberty and the the nanny state.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:38 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Default Arpaio Blinks

For all you out of towners who follow the saga(s) of Joe: Arpaio agreed to give up the password instead of being held in contempt of court in a compromise that will provide for auditing of the activities of the civilian IT employees who manage his server.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:33 PM

70 posts, read 244,581 times
I support Joe, especially if he continues his quest to get rid of the illegals who are making my getting a green card take so damn long.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:20 PM

114 posts, read 425,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcork View Post
I support Joe, especially if he continues his quest to get rid of the illegals who are making my getting a green card take so damn long.
How?

Old 08-19-2009, 07:21 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcork View Post
Joe is doing nothing to rid us of illegals. He is raiding factories to arrest and hold 100 people from working to catch 4 illegals. Instead he should be assisting the city of Phoenix in catching 50 illegal desert trekkers, coyotes, drug smugglers in one swoop from sneaking across unincorporated Maricopa county land that could lead to catching 50 more here, 50 more there, and another 50 "kidnapped" in a house via leads and information gathered from the arrested. His stunts are just smoke and mirrors like always to fool voters and the gullible! If he was a true lawman he would help track down these people and secure county by land making it nearly impossible for illegals to get to central and northern Arizona. Doing this would catch thousand of illegals instead of a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area