Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 04:56 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It certainly is something to be proud of, but what happened? The quality of Pitt football has really fallen and the account which sucks at football wont improve it.
I dont disagree with this at all.....being unattached to either team, I just find it very amusing when WVU fans want to act like they have a superior football program - sure its has done ok the last couple of years in the big east (i stress ok, as the conference was mediocre at best overall, and WVU only managed to win it outright twice since 1990), but overall wvu is just about as far away from being an elite program as Pitt is - both teams are lackluster when compared to the upper echelon of teams and at least Pitt can say that they have actually accomplished winning the national championship which is the entire point of playing a season.

Maybe the ACC will be terrible, maybe it will be great, maybe the Big 12 will be a joke, maybe it will roll - as much as one can argue they know the answer, really its nothing but your best guess. If one is happy that their team joined the Big 12, fine be happy, but theres no reason to then become that conferences biggest cheerleader while knocking any competitors.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:28 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I dont disagree with this at all.....being unattached to either team, I just find it very amusing when WVU fans want to act like they have a superior football program - sure its has done ok the last couple of years in the big east (i stress ok, as the conference was mediocre at best overall, and WVU only managed to win it outright twice since 1990), but overall wvu is just about as far away from being an elite program as Pitt is - both teams are lackluster when compared to the upper echelon of teams and at least Pitt can say that they have actually accomplished winning the national championship which is the entire point of playing a season.

Maybe the ACC will be terrible, maybe it will be great, maybe the Big 12 will be a joke, maybe it will roll - as much as one can argue they know the answer, really its nothing but your best guess. If one is happy that their team joined the Big 12, fine be happy, but theres no reason to then become that conferences biggest cheerleader while knocking any competitors.
WVU is a superior football program right now, and has been for a few years. Im not trying to argue that WVU is a great football program, but it generally is a top 25 team. It also has won more BCS bowls than all the ACC programs combined, but so have many schools. Pitt hasnt been good recently. Pitt is not terrible, but again it is not that good right now.

The ACC has been terrible in the BCS system. That is the reason it is not taken seriously. The Big E wasnt good either, but it had a much better ACC record than the ACC. The Big 12 had a much record than both conferences, and has won BCS championship games in the last decade. None of these conferences come close to the SEC.

Nothing I have said is untrue. I am not trying to make this a WVU vs Pitt thread, or a Big 12 vs ACC thread. However, I am going to state the ACC's abysmal performance, to back up my points.

I also agree that all that really matters is happiness in the end. I would not be happy if WVU joined the ACC since they are not a good football conference. Im sure their are Pitt fans that wouldnt want Pitt to join a big 4 football conference. Pitt will still have rivalries and it will have exciting games, sweet victories, and crushing losses.

Im not saying Pitt Sucks. However, the fact remains that the ACC is an irrelevant football conference and second rate. There are definitely worse conferences, but the ACC is not up to par with the Big 12 and the PAC, and even more so with the SEC and Big 10. It is a great basketball conference though. Perhaps this will change, but I am dealing in the present and recent past, and right now they get no respect in football. When the ACC actually starts doing good ill be the first to say so, but until then.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:33 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
As this thread continues, I'd like to remind everybody this is the Pittsburgh forum and the topic of this thread is "Pitt Applies for membership in ACC" not "discuss how awesome teams from somewhere else are".
Think about it.
Yac.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:07 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,963 times
Quote:
WVU is a superior football program right now, and has been for a few years. Im not trying to argue that WVU is a great football program, but it generally is a top 25 team.
last post on the subject, as to not irritate mod.

here is direct facts to your point cry

past 4 years, top 20 finishes in BCS ranking
WVU=1
Pitt=2

no, pitt isn't as good as we wish, but wvu isn't nearly as good as you think...

Old 06-15-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
last post on the subject, as to not irritate mod.

here is direct facts to your point cry

past 4 years, top 20 finishes in BCS ranking
WVU=1
Pitt=2

no, pitt isn't as good as we wish, but wvu isn't nearly as good as you think...
Wv lost a coach and had an interim coach for 3 of those years. It was ranked every year when rod was coach. What is Pitt's reason for not having any bcs trophies?

Old 06-15-2012, 01:55 PM

540 posts, read 868,513 times
Quote:
It was ranked every year when rod was coach.
Except, of course 2001, 2003, 2004, and 2008. But half is close to every...

Old 06-15-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter_rej View Post
Except, of course 2001, 2003, 2004, and 2008. But half is close to every...
Yep.

And 3 bcs trophies is better than none.

When Pitt has one we can talk.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:30 PM

pitt has won quite a few of the big bowls, back when you had to be good to get in them.

notice how you, yet again, ignore the proof that you were 100% wrong and move on to insults.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:41 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,482 times
Guys Guys Guys!!!!

Lets stop arguing. I'm sure we can all agree that neither the ACC nor the Big 12 will ever compete with the ca$h, academics, and athletics of the Big 10...

Best top-to-bottom conference in the world, hands down

Go Penn State!!!

Old 06-15-2012, 04:07 PM

last thing i'd be doing right now is touting ped state...

but it is remarkable how you take top 2 financial resources, student/alumni size, and fan support and routinely turn it into ~25th on the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh