Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 06:47 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,709,101 times

Advertisements

Pitt is making 12 million per year on the new ACC TV deal with ESPN. Enough said.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:21 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,458,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
For off the SEC doesnt want FSU anymore. It did at one point, but FSU turned them down, and are now kicking themselves.

The Big 12 and the Big 10 dont want just any ACC team. Most ACC teams would drag them down. They want the good football schools.

Im sorry but Pitt is terrible at football. Nowhere near on the same level as WVU, which crushed the ACC, and crushed Pitt in both Basketball and Football.

The Big 10 might not want BC, but ND wants them, and to get ND they would accept BC.

Right now the only place to expand is the ACC. The Big 12 teams signed away their tier I & II rights, to the Big 12 even if they leave the conference the Big 12 still gets the revenue. This makes leaving almost impossible. The Big 10, SEC, and Big 12 are now forced to snatch up the ACC teams.

As, you said, or another poster blame Tobacco road. The ACC had the opportunity to become a good football conference, but was never able to do so. Now that the Big E is practically over, the ACC is the least respected football conference and the vultures are circling around it.
You guys seem to believe anything that any blog tells you..

WVU crushed pitt in football? by 1 point? that isn't crushed. in basketball? they split 2 games.. and pitt has pretty much owned the series recently.

Syracuse putting 50 on WVU and beating them by 4+ touchdowsn..thats getting crushed and very embarrassing considering how terrible syracuse is.

BC vetoed uconn? yeah, BC is the one calling the shots in the ACC, i don't even think you believe this one. I know the one quote in the one article ..but that has been debunked and they only time ive even seen it mentioned is people who want to bash pitt with zero substance(i.e. wvu fans)

I'm not sure exactly what Pitt will make in the new acc(in other words, im not going to read some blog and pretend i know the contract) but it will be more than WVU makes in 2013. Don't forget they have to pay back the 10 million they begged from the b12 teams, plus they don't get a full share for the first 4 years, plus they don't even have a new deal yet...which yes, ive read the tweets and blogs but I've also read ESPN deny even working on one, so once they sign it then you can tell us how good it is...until then, its not.

and you comparing the big 10 to big 12 , why? The big 10 can really take whoever they want, excluding notre dame. the big 12? had a team leave for the big10. and SEC. and PAC. and SEC again.
no comparison at all. The big 12 is going to end up with Louisville and probably USF or Cincy...so yes, they would take almost any ACC team.

While I agree that right now ACC football is the worst, it only takes 1 year to change that. Christ. people are trying to tout baylor as a power now because of 1 kid who went there for track and ended up a heisman winner..120 years of sucking, 1 decent season and WVU fans will try to tell you they are a perrenial top 5 team. Its not like FSU and Clemson are having a hard time recruiting.

TCU was a panic move to destabilize the big east, and a bad one. Their hard games aren't Wyoming and UNLV anymore. 8-4, 7-5 on good years.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:35 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
BC vetoed uconn? yeah, BC is the one calling the shots in the ACC, i don't even think you believe this one. I know the one quote in the one article ..but that has been debunked and they only time ive even seen it mentioned is people who want to bash pitt with zero substance(i.e. wvu fans)
You obviously don't read very much as it's been substantiated to the nth degree and published over and over again in multiple media markets.

Expansion was power move by the ACC - Sports - The Boston Globe

No need to link to the bazillion other articles that cite this one and Defillippo's later apology.

What the rest of the ACC understands and Defillippo doesn't is that BC is useless to the ACC without UConn. Might even continue to be useless even with UConn.

Btw, I have nothing to do with WVU at all, nor am I bashing Pitt. Just reporting facts.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 AM

So you want me to believe the 11 ACC schools wanted UCONN, but BC didn't..so they took pitt?
instead of the glaringly obvious fact that Deflippo, who has gone on record as hating UCONN, just wanted to twist the knife a little?
You are quick to link that, why don't you link his next interview where he said he had no factor, and neither did ESPN, on who expansion targets? Because the facts played out, and what you are linking are 'reporting' were not the facts at the end.

“I would like to apologize for any negative effects caused by my recent interview with a Boston Globe reporter.

“I spoke inappropriately and erroneously regarding ESPN’s role in conference expansion.

“Further, while I harbor some ill feelings toward the University of Connecticut regarding the lawsuit, depositions and derogatory comments from UConn officials when we announced our decision to join the ACC, it was inappropriate to express personal feelings that might have been construed as the position of Boston College or the Atlantic Coast Conference. (wow, he references his 'hatred' for UCONN, he's in DEEP doo-doo)

“I regret any misunderstandings or negative fallout my actions may have caused.’’

Think logically for a second.
If it takes 3 schools to veto..obviously at least 3 did not want uconn(if it was even ever put up to a vote)
Now if they didn't veto Pitt, and no one voted against adding Pitt..

which one did the ACC want more?

Pointless discussion really, as I'm a fan of both Pitt and WVU. I'm just glad they both aren't in the big 12 or I'd never get to take another road trip.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,880,614 times
Quote:
You guys seem to believe anything that any blog tells you..

WVU crushed pitt in football? by 1 point? that isn't crushed. in basketball? they split 2 games.. and pitt has pretty much owned the series recently.

Syracuse putting 50 on WVU and beating them by 4+ touchdowsn..thats getting crushed and very embarrassing considering how terrible syracuse is.

I'm not sure exactly what Pitt will make in the new acc(in other words, im not going to read some blog and pretend i know the contract) but it will be more than WVU makes in 2013. Don't forget they have to pay back the 10 million they begged from the b12 teams, plus they don't get a full share for the first 4 years, plus they don't even have a new deal yet...which yes, ive read the tweets and blogs but I've also read ESPN deny even working on one, so once they sign it then you can tell us how good it is...until then, its not.

and you comparing the big 10 to big 12 , why? The big 10 can really take whoever they want, excluding notre dame. the big 12? had a team leave for the big10. and SEC. and PAC. and SEC again.
no comparison at all. The big 12 is going to end up with Louisville and probably USF or Cincy...so yes, they would take almost any ACC team.

While I agree that right now ACC football is the worst, it only takes 1 year to change that. Christ. people are trying to tout baylor as a power now because of 1 kid who went there for track and ended up a heisman winner..120 years of sucking, 1 decent season and WVU fans will try to tell you they are a perrenial top 5 team. Its not like FSU and Clemson are having a hard time recruiting.

TCU was a panic move to destabilize the big east, and a bad one. Their hard games aren't Wyoming and UNLV anymore. 8-4, 7-5 on good years.
First off wvu has dominated pitt recently and historically. wVU is going to make millions more than pitt. Pitt is going to wither away in the acc.

fSU already made its intentions clear. They would rather play football with the big boys.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:07 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,886,191 times
Quote:
First off wvu has dominated pitt recently and historically. wVU is going to make millions more than pitt. Pitt is going to wither away in the acc.
FSU already made its intentions clear. They would rather play football with the big boys.
Maybe WVU will even finish a season ranked higher the 5 in our lifetime too
I do wish I knew what dominating Pitt historically means when there's a 20 game deficit in the win department on wvu's side

I don't even care for Pitt or think they are all that great, but please don't act like wvu has anything resembling a powerhouse sports program either.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:

fSU already made its intentions clear. They would rather play football with the big boys.
And here we are back to blatant made up b.s. really? even a mentally unstable WVU fan wouldn't go the 'historically' route, they know better..

Recently, WVU has been better but not 'dominated'
its 7-5 wvu favor, since 2000...

Historically? are you kidding me?
55-35-3..PITT's favor on the field.
In other words, WVU would have to go on a a winning streak, every year, until 2033 to take the series lead.

National Championships (and before your inevitable argument, yes most were long ago but if michigan, texas, and notre dame can count them so can Pitt)
Pitt 9
WVU 0

NFL Hall of Fame
Pitt 8 (3rd all time)
WVU 2

College Football Hall of Fame
Pitt 25 (5th all time)
WVU 7

Consensus All Americans
Pitt -49
WVU - 11

Weeks at #1 in AP poll
Pitt 21
WVU 0 (zero, in 120 years have never been #1)

Weeks at #1 or 2
Pitt 36
WVU 1. (remember you guys got to 2nd and then...lost to pitt)

I think thats pretty much checkmate on your 'history' claim, unless there is another way to judge it that is better than great players and championships (expecting reply to bring up your winning % against weslyan and waynesburg..)

as far as FSU, their intentions are that they want no part of the big 12 but would like in the SEC, and yes its pretty clear.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
And here we are back to blatant made up b.s. really? even a mentally unstable WVU fan wouldn't go the 'historically' route, they know better..

Recently, WVU has been better but not 'dominated'
its 7-5 wvu favor, since 2000...

Historically? are you kidding me?
55-35-3..PITT's favor on the field.
In other words, WVU would have to go on a a winning streak, every year, until 2033 to take the series lead.

National Championships (and before your inevitable argument, yes most were long ago but if michigan, texas, and notre dame can count them so can Pitt)
Pitt 9
WVU 0

NFL Hall of Fame
Pitt 8 (3rd all time)
WVU 2

College Football Hall of Fame
Pitt 25 (5th all time)
WVU 7

Consensus All Americans
Pitt -49
WVU - 11

Weeks at #1 in AP poll
Pitt 21
WVU 0 (zero, in 120 years have never been #1)

Weeks at #1 or 2
Pitt 36
WVU 1. (remember you guys got to 2nd and then...lost to pitt)

I think thats pretty much checkmate on your 'history' claim, unless there is another way to judge it that is better than great players and championships (expecting reply to bring up your winning % against weslyan and waynesburg..)

as far as FSU, their intentions are that they want no part of the big 12 but would like in the SEC, and yes its pretty clear.
Pitt once had good football, but not anymore.

FSU would probably like to go to the sec, but they will take big 12 over acc. aCC is one of the worst football conferences.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 PM

once again, you make a point..i prove it wrong, you ignore it and change the subject.

last 4 years,
top 20 in final BCS rankings
WVU 1
Pitt 2.

Now nobody is saying we don't want pitt to play better, more consistent.. Pitt fans are realists and understand where we are and that we need to get better. That stat is simply to point out that while pitt would like to be a lot better..WVU should too.

WVU fans think you are an elite school. You beat clemson and forget all about the fact you couldn't win the big east outright more than 1 time during the past decade(your best ever). You forget that syracuse laid half a hundred on ya, beating you by 4 touchdowns.

So pitt isn't good at football, I won't argue. But then neither is WVU, its pretty clear the entire big east were all within a player or 2 of one another over the past few years and other than cincy that one year, all quite average teams.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
once again, you make a point..i prove it wrong, you ignore it and change the subject.

last 4 years,
top 20 in final BCS rankings
WVU 1
Pitt 2.

Now nobody is saying we don't want pitt to play better, more consistent.. Pitt fans are realists and understand where we are and that we need to get better. That stat is simply to point out that while pitt would like to be a lot better..WVU should too.

WVU fans think you are an elite school. You beat clemson and forget all about the fact you couldn't win the big east outright more than 1 time during the past decade(your best ever). You forget that syracuse laid half a hundred on ya, beating you by 4 touchdowns.

So pitt isn't good at football, I won't argue. But then neither is WVU, its pretty clear the entire big east were all within a player or 2 of one another over the past few years and other than cincy that one year, all quite average teams.
You've proved nothing wrong, except I was wrong about the overall history. During my lifetime WVU has killed Pitt almsot every game, but apparently at some point Pitt was better. I didnt know that, but it doesnt change the fact that WVU is a MUCH better team today. Besides that you have disproved nothing, and everything I said has been right.

The only one changing the subject here is you btw. This is not a WVU vs Pitt thread. That is not even debatable has WVU is much better. Pitt was a good rival and could put up a good game, and an upset, and they will be missed. That doesnt change the fact that Pitt now sucks at football, is ignored at best, and the ACC is only going to make them worse. WVU has the BCS trophies to back up its reputation. Pitt has, well... nothing. Their football program has been a joke for a while now.

What you are ignoring and trying to change the subject away from is the fact that FSU wants to leave the ACC. They announced their intentions too soon, before the Big 12 accepted, and wrongly assumed the Big 12 would take them. It might, but they arent going to take just FSU, they will need a partner. Im not sure if Clemson is a good enough sell for the Big 12. Either way FSU wants out of the ACC.

What you should be worried is not FSU, but the other football schools in the ACC, that want out too, and havent announced their intentions yet. Come 2014 and the only football conferences that will matter will be the Big 12, SEC, Big 10, and the PAC. In the upcoming months, and year, several schools are going to jump ship from the ACC, and Pitt probably wont be able to. I really hope they do.

I am not here to gloat at Pitt's misfortune, bad decisions, or try to diss it. I valued Pitt has a rival. However, I am merely stating the facts, and your bias towards them is leading you to think bullcrap is in fact filet mignon when in fact it is just crap. I really hope your school can get into the Big 12, or one of the 4 upcoming superconferences, which the ACC wont be. Take this as support for Pitt, but im not sugar coating your current situation in the ACC.

Also, lets not make this a WVU vs Pitt thread and stay on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh