Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 02:36 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,982,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You do not have to buy a state ID.
What do you show when they ask for ID if you don't have any ?
The chances are pretty slim that "many" don't have ID's.

I'm for the ID's for voting. Too much fraud and corruption going on.
It's a one time trip to the DMV to get the ID.

DHS/TSA demand ID's to fly and now ride the train.
Banks demand ID's to cash a check.
Stores ask for ID's when using credit/debit cards (not all though).

I would imagine there are very few people that don't have ID's and are probably living on a cash basis and don't travel.
There may be some fraud by people and of course corruption in the government but I have only seen a few documentations on that, unless it is in one of the links provided by another user below this.

I can't agree there are just a few people who do not have photo ID's. The older citizens ex: boomer's parents & grandparents do not necessarily have photo ID's. I can think of these picture ID cards

Drivers license: Yes
Passport Yes
Welfare card Yes I have seen these in my state
SS Card Yes most American workers have these
Military card Yes
Fed/State workers Yes
Public Safety Yes

State issued ID card's people over 65 may not have them, if they don't drive, banks will take direct deposit without a photo ID, you receive a debit card, what needs remembered is back in time photo ID's were not required for voting, you showed your SS card & a birth certificate or school record.

ex: my aunt did not have one she's 74, she had to get one recently to fly to see sister, when she was eligible for SS she did not have a photo ID, that was almost 10 yrs ago without a photo ID card.

When I received my Dr Lic years ago (25+years ago) I only provided SS card and most likely birth certificate, what else would I have had to prove my age.

Now years ago, I assume some illegals could have made counterfeit birth certificates or whatever to receive a SS card, I would think people at the SS offices would have checked on someone they thought were illegal.

In my state when I use a debit card I have not been asked in years for ID, using a credit card in person you may get asked for ID, its seldom.

Knowing that, someone could use my credit card in person, or by phone, it has happened to me with a credit card, the bank caught it, one of those criminals with random #'s machines. Sorry, I went off topic there.

You can look up some of the census for people over 65 tho the current one I don't see posted online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
55 percent of African American males and 49 percent of African American women.
* 46 percent of Hispanic men and 53 percent of Hispanic women.
* 78 percent of African American males age 18-24 and 66 percent of African American women age 18-24.

How do they figure these folks are going to vote? Democrat or Republican?
You can look at some of the pros and cons here.

Voter Identification Laws: Debatabase - Debate Topics and Debate Motions

Old 05-22-2011, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I think you mean we can thank the government for letting them in.
Don't forget corporations hiring cheap labor making less jobs for Americans and more profit for themselves

Old 05-22-2011, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Your local county social services department also issue ID cards to those that don't have a driver's license.

By social services do you mean public assistance/welfare office?

Old 05-22-2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What if???

What if your ID was your voter registration. If you wanted to vote bad enough, you would have it, just like registering to vote.
Exactly what I am talking about, your voter registration should be enough, you already proved ID when you applied.

Usually for other things you need to show a few things, such as your voter ID, SS card, Miltary etc.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you can't be arsed to do something as simple as getting an ID so you can exercise the most important responsibility as a citizen in a democratic society, you probably shouldn't be participating in a democracy anyway.
Most seniors already have a voters card and have had them for over 50 yrs.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Good gosh, what a load of CRAP. The clear-cut reason for pushing no ID for one of the most important duties as a citizen is FRAUD, pure and simple. ANYONE that pushes for this garbage is a criminal, pure and simple. I've never heard such lame excuses in my entire freaking life. Get real people.
The seniors have had their voter cards for over 50 yrs.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Don't you need a government-issued photo ID to register for voting anyway?
Some requirements I found, I believe all states are listed here, unless that changed

http://www.pewcenteronthestates.org/....laws.6.08.pdf

Old 05-22-2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Exactly!!

All this blubbering because the demwits are realizing they are not going to win without resorting to fraud - probably like they did in the last election. Thank goodness the conservatives have exposed organizations like ACORN for the fraudulent mess that they are.

Voter ID's should absolutely be required. If someone is too lazy to get a free id card, then they should not be allowed to vote. Voting is a serious process in which the outcome effects everyone....take it seriously and treat it with respect!
Doesn't matter what party you are, most have a Voter ID card now without going to the DMV to prove who they are.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:10 AM

9,143 posts, read 5,808,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Good gosh, what a load of CRAP. The clear-cut reason for pushing no ID for one of the most important duties as a citizen is FRAUD, pure and simple. ANYONE that pushes for this garbage is a criminal, pure and simple. I've never heard such lame excuses in my entire freaking life. Get real people.
Exactly.
And I don't believe for a second that seniors don't have identification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies