Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 12:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Thus far, there is no law for everyone else to produce a picture ID. And you'd think you might have some respect for your elders! One usually sees that kind of a post in regard to college students or 20somethings.
Yes there is, seven states have enacted voter identification laws that request certain forms of photo identification from voters. They are Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan and South Dakota, and these laws have been upheld by the Supreme Court already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I don't have a problem with the doing, it's the paying that I'm unwilling to do. When I have to pay for a copy of my birth certificate to vote, I see that as no different from a poll tax, so count me out.
The Supreme Court has already said that you dont have to pay for photo ID if its being used for a requirement that its needed to vote.

Supreme Court Upholds Voter Identification Law in Indiana - New York Times

Old 05-22-2011, 12:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
The Real ID act was passed and is now in effect. Federal mandate that everyone has to get a state ID so having it for voting will not be an issue in the near future.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:39 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The Supreme Court has already said that you dont have to pay for photo ID if its being used for a requirement that its needed to vote.

Supreme Court Upholds Voter Identification Law in Indiana - New York Times

I would have to pay for a copy of my birth certificate (under Real ID) to renew or get photo ID. I do not recall the Supreme Court considering that a problem.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:42 PM

45,413 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
I would have to pay for a copy of my birth certificate (under Real ID) to renew or get photo ID. I do not recall the Supreme Court considering that a problem.

You'll need it to renew your driver's license.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
And government holds similar standards for such things like bank accounts, licenses to carry a firearm, (or even buy one nowadays), marriage, or even fishing..

let me know when the left gets outraged because the right is trying to fix "marriages"..

Old 05-22-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You'll need it to renew your driver's license.

I don't drive, and I currently have a state-issued photo ID. I'm worried about being able to renew it.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
And government holds similar standards for such things like bank accounts, licenses to carry a firearm, (or even buy one nowadays), marriage, or even fishing..

let me know when the left gets outraged because the right is trying to fix "marriages"..
I've never had to produce a birth certificate to get a bank account; I don't think even a driver's licesnse was necessary.

I've never had a license for a gun. I've been married twice and never had to show a BC; I'm a bit hazy on the driver's licesnse thing, but I think not.

Never had a fishing license.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:

bb
The Constitution prohibits poll taxes for voting, it does not prohibit any of the other charges you cite.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:49 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,082,060 times
Making it harder to... cash a check AGAIN! Get your state ID card now!
Making it harder to... get on an airplane AGAIN! Get you state ID card now!
Making it harder to... prove your identity AGAIN! Get your state ID card now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies