Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 04:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Count Down to REAL ID

On March 4, 2011, U.S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano extended by 20 months (to January 15, 2013) the May 10, 2011 deadline for states to be in full compliance with the Real ID.

I wondered why the only place I'd heard of this was on CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 04:53 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't remember needing anything but the money. Even in 2002, when we helped my daughter open an account in her college town in Minnesota, we didn't need any proof of her address. Why would they care? I am 99.999999999% sure she didn't have to show anything except perhaps her driver's license, which had her home address in Colorado. I know we didn't have her birth certificate or her ss card with us.

Nothing but the money...and...perhaps her driver's license.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:00 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Count Down to REAL ID

On March 4, 2011, U.S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano extended by 20 months (to January 15, 2013) the May 10, 2011 deadline for states to be in full compliance with the Real ID.

I wondered why the only place I'd heard of this was on CD.

Maryland Told It Must Comply with Federal Real ID Driver's License Act

Immigrant Driver ID Rejected by O'Malley - washingtonpost.com

It's been around for several years but has somewhat receded from view.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Nothing but the money...and...perhaps her driver's license.
Yes, perhaps a driver's license with a Colorado address when she was stating she had a Minnesota address. And that's a maybe.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:13 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Yes, perhaps a driver's license with a Colorado address when she was stating she had a Minnesota address. And that's a maybe.

She was in fact required to identify herself in order to open a bank account?

Old 05-22-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
She was in fact required to identify herself in order to open a bank account?
What part of perhaps don't you understand?

Old 05-22-2011, 06:24 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I love how the right hates big government and government telling you what you need and have to have but have no problem with said government telling you that you must have an ID.
why is it the ledt who loves big government is against IDENTIFYING one-self at a voteing place

is not voting based on DESTRICTS...you should IDENTIFY that you are who you say you are and where you live

there is absolutly nothing wrong with showing a picture id, for voting ..

...unless you advocate the possibility of allowing fraud...but then again thats the left for ya

Old 05-22-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why is it the ledt who loves big government is against IDENTIFYING one-self at a voteing place

is not voting based on DESTRICTS...you should IDENTIFY that you are who you say you are and where you live

there is absolutly nothing wrong with showing a picture id, for voting ..

...unless you advocate the possibility of allowing fraud...but then again thats the left for ya
I think it is the idea of the govt. issue picture ID that is the issue, not identification. Most states (Delaware being an exception when I lived there) give you a voter registration card when you register. Why shouldn't that be enough? With mail-in ballots becoming very popular here in the western states, it's the signature that needs to match the signature on the card. There is no picture ID involved.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:32 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
This does affect our seniors as well as plenty of US citizens, not everyone has a drivers license or state issued ID card, what is everyone supposed to do? run out and buy an ID card, all the seniors that don't have them, this is just some more trouble the GOP is causing, they clearly don't want people to vote, this concerns all voters no matter what party. So anyone out there I'd let your parents know and children who can vote to go get a state issued ID card to vote, I'm all for proving citizenship, it isn't just about the illegals. I wrote this in the past, now down the road your parents will not be able to vote unless they have the state issued ID card.
again & again

Voting rights advocates note that there are large numbers of people who do not have the state-issued photo ID the bill requires. According to a recent University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee study, those without state-issued photo ID who would need to obtain one under the new Voter ID bill include:
* 23 percent of Wisconsinites over the age of 65.
* 17 percent of white men and women.
* 55 percent of African American males and 49 percent of African American women.
* 46 percent of Hispanic men and 53 percent of Hispanic women.
* 78 percent of African American males age 18-24 and 66 percent of African American women age 18-24.

What would this add up to with the whole country?

Rachel Maddow Show

Rachel Maddow Show

Wisconsin voter ID bill slammed as vote suppression » peoplesworld

http://fairelectionsnetwork.blogspot...fl-rachel.html
As much as I would like to see this as some kind of right wing conspiracy, I don't. You have a year to make arraingements.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:37 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
I think it is the idea of the govt. issue picture ID that is the issue, not identification. Most states (Delaware being an exception when I lived there) give you a voter registration card when you register. Why shouldn't that be enough? With mail-in ballots becoming very popular here in the western states, it's the signature that needs to match the signature on the card. There is no picture ID involved.
as you know..I have no problem with a national id/licemse and a national standard

the fact is that I or someone could walk into a polling place as say we are anyone who lives at such and such address and vote.. even if I am not that person...I believ we should check EVERYONE that they are who they say they are, and they live where they actually are registered.......not a name from the phonebook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies