Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 09:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually it wasnt my authority, it was the authority of the Patriot Act.

I'm just not sure what your situation has to do with the topic. Does the fact that you've had a checking account since 1982 exempt you from the voter laws the rest of americans need to follow?
Apparently you haven't been following the thread. See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
You are regurgitating your partisan talking points is all you are doing. Anyone who opposes this is only for one reason only. FRAUD!

Also, in order to have a voided check you need a checking account. How do you get one of those again? Oh, that's right, you need a FREAKING PHOTO ID!
I didn't need a photo ID to get my checking acct. See?

Quote:
It's been required way before 2001. Maybe not a photo ID in all instances, but a LEGAL STATE issued ID. If you go to a bank and try to cash a check written to you, you will need to show a PHOTO ID. So you must have one. Even if you try and withdraw cash from your account, you need a PHOTO ID.
At my bank, only the cashiers who don't know me ask for my DL when I'm withdrawing money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 09:17 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You didn't need one to open an account then, this is not 1982, and you need one now, just like you need one to vote now. My credit union does not ask to see my ID either, because they know me, but they did ask to see my ID when I opened my account.

Try going to another city, county or state and cashing a check, they WILL ask for your ID, in order to protect themselves from financial fraud. It's the same with voter ID, we are trying to protect ourselves from voter fraud in WI, from people coming from out of state, or a different county. Now do you get it?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:23 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:

At my bank, only the cashiers who don't know me ask for my DL when I'm withdrawing money.
I have been following the thread fine thank you. The fact that you are being asked for ID when you withdraw money, doesnt mean that you arent asked for one when you open up the account. Again, its been required since 2001. The only reason why they dont ask you now for ID is because they already know who you are. I would hope they would after 30 years..

Old 05-23-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You didn't need one to open an account then, this is not 1982, and you need one now, just like you need one to vote now. My credit union does not ask to see my ID either, because they know me, but they did ask to see my ID when I opened my account. Try going to another city, county or state and cashing a check, they WILL ask for your ID, in order to protect themselves from fraud.

It's the same with voter ID, we are trying to protect ourselves from voter fraud in WI, from people coming from out of state, or a different county. Now do you get it?
God in heaven, I give up! I started out trying to explain how you do direct deposit and the whole thread gets hijacked by people playing deliberately desne.

FWIW, we haven't had a "vote in person" election here in CO for some time, they've all been mail-in ballots so I have NOT been asked for ID to vote.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:24 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You didn't need one to open an account then, this is not 1982, and you need one now, just like you need one to vote now. My credit union does not ask to see my ID either, because they know me, but they did ask to see my ID when I opened my account.

Try going to another city, county or state and cashing a check, they WILL ask for your ID, in order to protect themselves from financial fraud. It's the same with voter ID, we are trying to protect ourselves from voter fraud in WI, from people coming from out of state, or a different county. Now do you get it?
Heck, she wont even need to go to another city, all she has to do is to go another branch, or by her own admission, another teller who doesnt know her

Old 05-23-2011, 09:26 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:

Photo ID's are the only thing accepted now pretty much everywhere. The next time you go to a branch where they don't know you or they are not the ones serving you, you will need to produce ID. Stop trying so hard to find excuses of how you don't need photo ID to do anything, because the reality of it is that you DO need it for just about everything today.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:

FWIW, we haven't had a "vote in person" election here in CO for some time, they've all been mail-in ballots so I have NOT been asked for ID to vote.
That will change with the new law. Get used to it.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
That will change with the new law. Get used to it.
As long as they do mail-in, which it seems is their preference, there is no picture ID involved, just signatures.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:34 AM

415 posts, read 449,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
This does affect our seniors as well as plenty of US citizens, not everyone has a drivers license or state issued ID card, what is everyone supposed to do? run out and buy an ID card, all the seniors that don't have them, this is just some more trouble the GOP is causing, they clearly don't want people to vote, this concerns all voters no matter what party. So anyone out there I'd let your parents know and children who can vote to go get a state issued ID card to vote, I'm all for proving citizenship, it isn't just about the illegals. I wrote this in the past, now down the road your parents will not be able to vote unless they have the state issued ID card.
again & again

Voting rights advocates note that there are large numbers of people who do not have the state-issued photo ID the bill requires. According to a recent University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee study, those without state-issued photo ID who would need to obtain one under the new Voter ID bill include:
* 23 percent of Wisconsinites over the age of 65.
* 17 percent of white men and women.
* 55 percent of African American males and 49 percent of African American women.
* 46 percent of Hispanic men and 53 percent of Hispanic women.
* 78 percent of African American males age 18-24 and 66 percent of African American women age 18-24.

What would this add up to with the whole country?

Rachel Maddow Show

Rachel Maddow Show

Wisconsin voter ID bill slammed as vote suppression » peoplesworld

http://fairelectionsnetwork.blogspot.com/2011/05/weekly-voter-id-update-wi-fl-rachel.html
I have to side with the conservatives here. My grandpa sits in the wheelchair and can not walk anymore at all - he does have still an ID. Anybody can get an ID. I would like to know what YOU suggest. How are you supposed to ID yourself?? Yeah... didn't think so!
Are you saying black folks are too stupid or poor to get an ID?? I don't think so, either!

Old 05-23-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
As long as they do mail-in, which it seems is their preference, there is no picture ID involved, just signatures.
Like I said, that will change, get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies