Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 09:51 AM

46,261 posts, read 27,082,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I didn't need a photo ID to get my checking acct. See?

Stop living in the past, things have changed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 AM

45,341 posts, read 60,522,810 times
A couple years ago Mrs. NBP and I went to set up a Line of Credit at the bank we've been doing business with since 1984. The bank officer that handled it was a former student of mine. She still needed our driver's licenses to copy and put with the file. She was able to forego us needing a second form of ID since she was able to check the box "previously known to employee".

Old 05-23-2011, 10:44 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,431 times
Those opposing the ID for voting are for fraud IMO. They will give you all kinds of excuses, but if you can't afford the $10 for an ID I'm sure most states will make it available to you for free.

We need to purge the records every two years of old or bad data and ID those who are voting.

You also should be able to read at a minimum enough to read the ballot, no pictures either. This is serious stuff, not pre-school.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Those opposing the ID for voting are for fraud IMO. They will give you all kinds of excuses, but if you can't afford the $10 for an ID I'm sure most states will make it available to you for free.

We need to purge the records every two years of old or bad data and ID those who are voting.

You also should be able to read at a minimum enough to read the ballot, no pictures either. This is serious stuff, not pre-school.
You're "sure" are you? Maybe you could post a link? I still think it makes an extra step in voting to have to get the card. What's wrong with comparing signatures?

Old 05-23-2011, 10:53 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
You're "sure" are you? Maybe you could post a link?
The cost is ZERO..

Supreme Court says states can demand photo ID for voting - USATODAY.com

"The universally applicable requirements of Indiana's voter-identification law are eminently reasonable. The burden of acquiring, possessing and showing a free photo identification is simply not severe, because it does not 'even represent a significant increase over the usual burdens of voting,'" Scalia said.

Indiana provides IDs free of charge to people without driver's licenses.

Is your next argument going to be that free, is too expensive, and that the government should pay people to get one?

Old 05-23-2011, 10:55 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,449,063 times
Quote:
You're "sure" are you? Maybe you could post a link? I still think it makes an extra step in voting to have to get the card. What's wrong with comparing signatures?
Are the people checking the signatures handwriting analysis experts? Todays Photo ID's have a watermark in them to show they have been tampered with. Verifying the photo and address is a better method. Besides what about a person that suffered a stroke or other issues where it could change the way their handwriting looks since they registered to vote?

Old 05-23-2011, 10:58 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
The Democratic argument against state ID cards to vote is always quite funny..

Senate passes photo ID bill; some Democrats refuse to vote - JSOnline

But Democrats decried the measure, saying it would do little to prevent voter fraud while disenfranchising thousands of minority, elderly and rural voters.

"This is voter suppression," said Sen. Lena Taylor (D-Milwaukee). "This is voter disenfranchisement. This is voter confusion. This is voter restriction. This is a voter discouragement bill."

So pretty much the Democratic argument against photo ID to vote, is they think their supporters are too stupid to figure out how to obtain identification?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The Democratic argument against state ID cards to vote is always quite funny..

Senate passes photo ID bill; some Democrats refuse to vote - JSOnline

But Democrats decried the measure, saying it would do little to prevent voter fraud while disenfranchising thousands of minority, elderly and rural voters.

"This is voter suppression," said Sen. Lena Taylor (D-Milwaukee). "This is voter disenfranchisement. This is voter confusion. This is voter restriction. This is a voter discouragement bill."

So pretty much the Democratic argument against photo ID to vote, is they think their supporters are too stupid to figure out how to obtain identification?
Yes, they think they are too stupid and too lazy. That tells a lot about what they really think about their base.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
http://www.pewcenteronthestates.org/...mer.pdf?n=4466

Long, pdf file so I can't quote. Written by some West Point cadets.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
http://www.pewcenteronthestates.org/...mer.pdf?n=4466

Long, pdf file so I can't quote. Written by some West Point cadets.
What about it? Voting by mail is a sure fire way to get fraudulent votes. That's why it is championed so much by your side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies