Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 12:54 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I've never had to produce a birth certificate to get a bank account; I don't think even a driver's licesnse was necessary.

I've never had a license for a gun. I've been married twice and never had to show a BC; I'm a bit hazy on the driver's licesnse thing, but I think not.

Never had a fishing license.

Under the PATRIOT Act and "know your customer" banking regulations, you now need state-issued photo ID to open a bank account. Right after I moved cross-country, I tried to open an investment (brokerage) account and got a letter saying they could not open an account for me because my current address did not match the address on the credit report they pulled, as required by the PATRIOT Act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 12:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Under the PATRIOT Act and "know your customer" banking regulations, you now need state-issued photo ID to open a bank account. Right after I moved cross-country, I tried to open an investment (brokerage) account and got a letter saying they could not open an account for me because my current address did not match the address on the credit report they pulled, as required by the PATRIOT Act.
Yes, the Patriot Act changed a lot of things. Now Real ID is in effect too.
Anyone who hasn't had to make changes in their life in the past 7-10 years will be in for a shock when they do.

It's different times now. You cannot just walk in an do business until you can prove who you are with a government issued ID and nothing else will suffice.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:00 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
I don't drive, and I currently have a state-issued photo ID. I'm worried about being able to renew it.
You are worried about being able to renew a state issued photo ID? WHY?
Quote:
I've never had to produce a birth certificate to get a bank account; I don't think even a driver's licesnse was necessary.
Yes, photo ID is required to get a bank account now..
Quote:
I've never had a license for a gun. I've been married twice and never had to show a BC; I'm a bit hazy on the driver's licesnse thing, but I think not.

Never had a fishing license.
Most states require a birth certificate be shown to obtain a marriage license.
Quote:
bb
The Constitution prohibits poll taxes for voting, it does not prohibit any of the other charges you cite.
In america, we dont even have a constitutional right to vote, so I'm not sure what your point is.. The only limits on voting in the Constitution is that we cant discriminate based upon race (15th amendment), sex, (19th amendment) or age, (26th amendment). We can however discriminate based upon anything else, including having a photo ID or not.

"...the individual citizen has no federal constitutional right to vote for electors for the President of the United States." (Bush v. Gore, 531 U.S. 98, 104)

Furthermore, the Supreme Court has ruled that if the state makes efforts to allow people to obtain free ID, then there is no laws being violated by establishing such standards.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:00 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes, the Patriot Act changed a lot of things. Now Real ID is in effect too.
Anyone who hasn't had to make changes in their life in the past 7-10 years will be in for a shock when they do.

It's different times now. You cannot just walk in an do business until you can prove who you are with a government issued ID and nothing else will suffice.

Does this mean I'm exempt from the Obamacare mandate if I can't prove who I am?

Old 05-22-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Does this mean I'm exempt from the Obamacare mandate if I can't prove who I am?
But you said in an earlier post you do have a State ID.

Having an ID has nothing to do with the Obamacare mandates.
The IRS have been appointed to oversee the mandatory enrollment and fine those that don't enroll.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:34 PM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times
"The IRS"

Love their involvement with my health decisions.
I am now so reassured by their concern for my well being.

When I vote I will be glad to show my ID as I have tried to every time I have ever voted these past 37 since I've turned 18 years.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:46 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
"The IRS"

When I vote I will be glad to show my ID as I have tried to every time I have ever voted these past 37 since I've turned 18 years.
If you choose to defy the Law, you will be fined and the IRS will do the fining. That does reassure law abiding Americans.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
"The IRS"

I also try to show my driver license when voting and each and every time the polling folks say it's not needed, just my voter registration card.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You are worried about being able to renew a state issued photo ID? WHY?

Yes, photo ID is required to get a bank account now..

Most states require a birth certificate be shown to obtain a marriage license.

In america, we dont even have a constitutional right to vote, so I'm not sure what your point is.. The only limits on voting in the Constitution is that we cant discriminate based upon race (15th amendment), sex, (19th amendment) or age, (26th amendment). We can however discriminate based upon anything else, including having a photo ID or not.

"...the individual citizen has no federal constitutional right to vote for electors for the President of the United States." (Bush v. Gore, 531 U.S. 98, 104)

Furthermore, the Supreme Court has ruled that if the state makes efforts to allow people to obtain free ID, then there is no laws being violated by establishing such standards.
Here are the rules for Pennsylvania.

Butler County: Planning to Marry

VALID identification (Any 1 of these)

· Photo driver’s license

· State PennDot photo ID card

· Certified birth certificate

· Active military ID

I know my husband did not show a birth certificate b/c he didn't have one on his person at the time. We had to order one from the state of Nebraska a couple years later when he needed a passport.

Here are Maryland's (where I first got married):

Prince George's County, MD - Judicial Branch : Marriage Licenses

License Application Procedures:
Bride or Groom must appear in person with proper identification (driver's license, birth certificate, military ID or passport, etc) for both parties and give, under oath, the following information:

I do not remember showing a birth certificate.

I have not opened a bank account in many years, so I plead ignorance to that.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:26 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
When could anyone open a bank account without identification?
I don't recall that in my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies