Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 07:11 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Huh ???

I think you missed the point of my comment. Besides, not everybody CAN lose the weight..should that mean they are prohibited from earning a living ? This country is so superficial...now it's "Don't apply for a job unless you're a perfect specimen of a human being".

No wonder I hate most people
Everyone can lose the weight. Everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 07:31 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times

The Band, The Weight - YouTube

Old 04-05-2012, 07:31 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Don't know if this means anything or not. But while having a couple of surgerys, and having to spend time in the hospital. I have to say the overall care i received was outstanding.

Some of my nurses, were heavy, real heavy and thin. The care i received by both weight nurses, was very good, one no better then the next. Although i will say that the heavier nurses, had a much better peronsality, and more sensitive to my needs.
The problem i think should be with the very obese, which do casue a heath risk to themselves, heart trouble, diabetics etc.

I worked with a guy once, we got a long so well, i loved him, his personality, but the guy weighed around 400 plus pounds. He tried like hell to lose the weight, it just never happened. He was much slower then i at walking, and when we went upstairs, it took him forever, i truly felt bad.
This guy tried so hard to lose weight, in front of me, he ate like i did, and some do have medical issues with their thyroids as my daughter did until she had surgery, and had to have radiation iodine to kill the thyroid, she has none now, that is why she is on medicine. The mintue that happened she went down to her 122 she is 5"8.
So many people make fun of those who are heavier then us, but i know many heavy people who work and do their work just fine, with no problems. I think the problem is with those who are obese.
I applaud shows like the BIGGEST LOSER, who help rather then hinder, those who have a weight issue.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:50 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
The hidden discrimination you can't prove. Be thin, be a non smoker but be over 50 years old- no job for you!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:25 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Why shouldn't they be allowed to work in a hospital? Do tat's affect ones performance, ability, intelligence, honesty and integrity? For that matter, does obesity? Does smoking?
The hospital that has written this policy is not just "a hospital." It's big on Bariatric medicine and now I get why they have this policy.
This story is the first time I've ever heard of a hospital officially stating this. They have a good reasonf for doing so. They are selling the thin lifestyle and they are wise to present themselves as thin, while doing so.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:30 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
The hospital that has written this policy is not just "a hospital." It's big on Bariatric medicine and now I get why they have this policy.
This story is the first time I've ever heard of a hospital officially stating this. They have a good reasonf for doing so. They are selling the thin lifestyle and they are wise to present themselves as thin, while doing so.
Oooh, I love it...appearances over professionalism and qualifications. 'Cause nothing says 'we're excellent at what we do' like a big dose of superficiality.

While they're at it, I wonder if they offer discounts on Botox, buttlifts, and collagen fish lips along with the gastric lap band? Laser dermabrasion with your Roux-en-Y, perhaps?

Old 04-05-2012, 10:39 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
^^^ +1 to ya Sunnysee for Post #85

The Facility is promoting glowing healthy bodies, who would take the business seriously if a nurse weighing 350 pounds waddles out to the car to welcome the new patient, and the poor patient sitting in her car watching this massive blob of fat waddling towards her and the fat rolls crossing her stomach rippling like bowls of jello over to her car door and open it?

Old 04-06-2012, 12:21 AM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Oooh, I love it...appearances over professionalism and qualifications. 'Cause nothing says 'we're excellent at what we do' like a big dose of superficiality.

While they're at it, I wonder if they offer discounts on Botox, buttlifts, and collagen fish lips along with the gastric lap band? Laser dermabrasion with your Roux-en-Y, perhaps?
No, you do not yet "get it."

They refuse to be hypocrites.

Truly, many people would laugh at, instead of choose to be consumers at a Bariatric center that employed Obese people.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:25 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
The hidden discrimination you can't prove. Be thin, be a non smoker but be over 50 years old- no job for you!
Ain't that the sad sad truth...

Old 04-06-2012, 12:49 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
No, you do not yet "get it."

They refuse to be hypocrites.

Truly, many people would laugh at, instead of choose to be consumers at a Bariatric center that employed Obese people.
No, I think I get it alright. They're selling the image, the ideal, and in many cases, the outright fantasy.

Bariatric surgery is not always the miracle it's marketed as. Complications are varied (fistulas, abscesses, slipped bands, postgastrectomy dumping syndrome/malabsorption/malnutrition, anastomotic stenoses, and unrelenting gastroparesis), sometimes resulting in complete resection of the stomach and a lifetime of TPN (tube feeding).

But if their main concern is with everyone on staff looking the part to draw in cu$tomer$ (and most importantly, making them feel acutely out of place at the facility), more power to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies