Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:14 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,577,912 times

Advertisements

Amen to that: Diddy should be congratulated for instilling the ambition in his son while pushing him academically while he was in HS, and the result was a scholarship to a very prestigious university.

Even in the event that he gets injured somewhere down the road and has to quit playing football, he can remain on scholarship and earn his degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 06:47 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,543,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
"should" as in since he can, he ought to do so out of the goodness of his heart, or "should" as in the government should pass a law requiring it?
What? No. He should just do it. Where did that come from besides wayyyy right field?

Old 05-31-2012, 06:50 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,450,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I hear you.... but it's not ridiculous. There are so many kids out there like him trying to get scholarships to afford college. These kids are AP students and great athletes just trying to get a chance for a better future. There are so many denied though because of the competition.
Ok this is a scholarship based on academic and athletic performance, it is not need based. The scholarship is not funded by taxpayers and if he gave it up the money would simply be recycled into the athletic budget.
Justin Combs, P Diddy's Son, Gets UCLA Football Scholarship Despite School's Struggle With Finances
Quote:
Unlike need-based scholarships, athletic scholarships are awarded to students strictly on the basis of their athletic and academic ability, and not on a student's financial need. Athletic scholarships - such as those awarded to football or basketball players - do not rely on state funds. Instead, these scholarships are entirely funded by Athletic Department ticket sales, corporate partnerships, media contracts and private donations from supporters. Each year, UCLA awards the equivalent of approximately 285 full athletic scholarships to outstanding student athletes. The scholarships are used by the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics to pay the students' tuition and fees as well as room and board. In this respect, UCLA is no different than the overwhelming majority of Division I institutions.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:52 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,450,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How much of the kid's merit was earned and how much was bought? When you grow up with tutors and SAT prep classes, is your merit earned or bought?

And I had a 3.9 gpa, where's my $54k scholarship?
Could you play football? He doesn't look much physically but evidently he gets the job done, well.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:47 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,223,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Scholarships come from what other folks pay for tuition. I remember reading a story last year that at the Univ of Iowa something like 20% folks pay for tuition for their kids to go to school is used for scholarships and grants. So you area already paying for others to attend.
Not athletic scholarships.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:49 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,308,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Do you agree he should give it back?
How does "Rudy" a half pint get a football scholarship??

I'm not football expert, but this seems odd. I thought football players were huge. Did he get the scholarship because of his football skills or because his father is a famous celebrity??

Old 05-31-2012, 08:17 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,102,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
How does "Rudy" a half pint get a football scholarship??

I'm not football expert, but this seems odd. I thought football players were huge. Did he get the scholarship because of his football skills or because his father is a famous celebrity??

I'm sure that UCLA has a long, time-honored tradition of giving $54,000 scholarships to two star football players from New York.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:29 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,240,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How much of the kid's merit was earned and how much was bought? When you grow up with tutors and SAT prep classes, is your merit earned or bought?

And I had a 3.9 gpa, where's my $54k scholarship?
Even if a student has tutors, and prep classes, it is still up to the student to learn, and take the test.

As for your scholarship? How were your football ratings in high school? He got a football scholarship.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,612,102 times
Merit scholarships are not about "need"; they are about ability and picking the best of the best.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:59 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,102,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Merit scholarships are not about "need"; they are about ability and picking the best of the best.
Syracuse once gave a basketball scholarship to a beanpole Californian named Erik Rogers. Turned out the kid was related to Oakland Raiders owner and Syracuse alum Al Davis.

The school "needed" to curry favor with a major alumni member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies