Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 07:58 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
You're so predictably pathetic in your world-view.
Did zero tolerance save this kid? No. In fact it's just as guilty. The little perps didn't seem to care about zero tolerance when they gave this kid a beat down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Wow, you're full of it.
Says the one who I just saw posting about blaming the victim in the VAWA thread. Yeah, I'm full of it all right. Say what you want, the shoe fits you.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:57 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Twelve-year-old Bailey O'Neil died last week in Philadelphia after being beaten up by 2 classmates in the school yard.

"It was an altercation in the schoolyard where a kid wanted to fight my son, and my son wanted to walk away," Rob O'Neill said. "One boy pushed Bailey into the kid [who wanted to fight him]. That kid then hit him in the face, then he hit his head on the ground. One pushed him into the kid, then the other kid did the rest of the work."

Afterwards, Bailey felt ill and his personality seemed to change. Then he started having seizures; he died in the hospital on March 4th.

The two attackers received two-day school suspensions. The police are investigating.

Bullied Boy Dies: Bailey O'Neill, 12, Dead Weeks After School Bullying - ABC News
It moves beyond "bullying" when they start putting their hands on you, so no, he did not "die from bullying."

Those kids should be charged with murder or reckless homicide or something like that.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The National Association of School Psychologists says 160,000 students skip school every day because of bullying. One in every seven students is either a bullying victim or a bully, according to the Defeat the Label organization, which promotes a bully-free society.

I noticed that on the specials Anderson Cooper did on bullying, many of the victims had left school because of bullying.

Focus on Bailey O'Neill's death
So that means 1 person out of 14 is a bully and 1 person out of 14 is a victim. So 12 people who are just living their lives normally.

What is your point with this line of thought? B/c that's really not that impressive of a statistic.

Society will never be bully-free, especially if liberals keep loosening the definition of bullying.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:41 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Says the one who I just saw posting about blaming the victim in the VAWA thread. Yeah, I'm full of it all right. Say what you want, the shoe fits you.
I don't even know what the VAWA thread is. But if you point me to where I blamed the victim, I'll reread it & let you know. Thanks.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Can't expel students in public school. They are guaranteed a public education, bully or not.
You could be expelled from public school when I was growing up (I'm 29). Did something change? I thought that's what alternative schools were for, and there is an increasing accessibility to virtual schools.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:49 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,201,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Schoolyard fights are now called "bullying" ?

The article didn't say anything about him being bullied by the other boy.
Did you read that the victim died? Is this something you want to continue in our schools? I am hopeful that your view is significantly outnumbered by those that are truly concerned about school violence and bullying.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
So that means 1 person out of 14 is a bully and 1 person out of 14 is a victim. So 12 people who are just living their lives normally.

What is your point with this line of thought? B/c that's really not that impressive of a statistic.

Society will never be bully-free, especially if liberals keep loosening the definition of bullying.
Society will never be free of murderers, DUI drivers, embezzlers, or bank and convenience store robbers either. Does that mean we just make snide comments and not try to do something about them to reduce their occurrence!? This is not a liberal/conservative issue. Almost all people (except a few like you apparently) are concerned about it. We need to work together to improve the situation.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Did you read that the victim died? Is this something you want to continue in our schools? I am hopeful that your view is significantly outnumbered by those that are truly concerned about school violence and bullying.
How are these people who are "truly concerned about school violence and bullying" going to solve the problem?

By making rules against bullying?

Those already exist.

Kids need to learn to defend themselves and be told that doing so is OK, not something that they will be punished for.

I ranked second place in 7th grade for the most detentions in the Jr. High School, and was banned from going on the Disneyland trip in 8th grade - which I avoided not having to put up with because i moved to Washington State in the between years - all because I was constantly bullied, I chose to fight back, and my school had a typical liberal "zero tolerance" policy.

I spent time in In School Suspension - both in California and Washington.

I was nearly expelled because I didn't "tolerate" violence.

I ended up being named an "Inspirational Senior" at my high school - due to my extracurricular activities.

I overcame - because I stood up to the bullies -and found purpose that those imbeciles(both the bullies and the liberal school administration) did not get to define.

Last edited by Harrier; 03-13-2013 at 10:05 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
It moves beyond "bullying" when they start putting their hands on you, so no, he did not "die from bullying."

Those kids should be charged with murder or reckless homicide or something like that.
OK I just saw this post after having read the other (by you) that seems to say it is no big deal. They seem to contradict each other. Here you take the matter very seriously, but not so much in the other. Anyways, I guess I misunderstood your original intent. I agree they should be charged, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies