Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 01:46 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times

Advertisements

The shooter was in the wrong...but the sentence is way out of line vs the action. Some idiot texting and driving and kills someone gets no, or nearly no, prison time. Or some idiot in a car that makes a left turn in front of a motorcyclist and murders them, isn't even charged? Yet someone who is woken up in the middle of the night by some drunk pounding on their door gets 17 years? Ah, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 01:47 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I feel bad for the person shot. Drinking and driving is unacceptable, but two wrongs just don't make a right. You don't shoot someone out of fear. Her life did not have to be taken by a scared man.
What I meant was this. She wasn't some angel who was up to everything good. But at the same time, that man didn't have to do what he didn't He didn't have to take her life.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:48 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Perhaps so. What worries me more is not that this man shot that woman, but that there are people who justify and support his actions. It bothers me because I have to consider this. Could I be next? I've done alot of walking at night. I have to wonder this. If they support it being done to someone else, would those persons do it to me? I have to wonder if someone might be scared and shoot.
have you been pounding at peoples' doors at 4 a.m.?

if not, you should probably stop wondering and worrying so much.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:48 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post
Police in Detroit can be VERY slow...I have heard it takes them days sometimes....
The shooter did not live in Detroit.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The shooter was in the wrong...but the sentence is way out of line vs the action. Some idiot texting and driving and kills someone gets no, or nearly no, prison time. Or some idiot in a car that makes a left turn in front of a motorcyclist and murders them, isn't even charged? Yet someone who is woken up in the middle of the night by some drunk pounding on their door gets 17 years? Ah, no.
Actually, the sentence is just. The texter/driver/killer and the idiot who kills a motorcyclist should get as much time or more.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

Nah. If he were to pound on the wrong person's door if, say, he was in an accident (like the kid in North Carolina) or if he were robbed or beaten and needed help, I'd say he'd have reason to be worried.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:52 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

I never have. However, pounding at someone's door at that hour, in my opinion, is no reason to shoot them.

And I do worry sometimes because someone could get scared in other ways. I remember one night a guy drove up and confronted me, telling me he called the police on someone. It was mistaken identity, as I wasn't the person they were looking for. However, I have to wonder if that guy would have shot me. According to him, some guys were outside of his house making noise and harassing them. The police had been called. However, I wonder if I could have been shot that night, simply because he got the wrong person. I just happen to be out for a walk, like I sometimes do.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:00 PM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times
First off McBride was a train wreck... did she deserve to die for being a train wreck no. Did she make some bad decisions , especially pounding on someones door at 3:30 in the morning sure, did she deserve to die for those mistakes..no.

Keep in mind, had he called the police they might have shown up the next morning. Also , one of the latest trends in the D is a female knocking on the door asking for help and when you open it you get jacked or worse.
I have no doubt he was afraid, any one of us would be. The mistake he made was pulling the trigger when his life was not in danger, one and opening his mouth to the police , two. His reply to the police should have been "I will cooperate completely once my lawyer is present".
Do I think he deserves 17 years , no. I don't think he intentionally woke up that morning to kill her so I don't agree with the 2nd degree thing. I think he was negligent and pulled the trigger in fear, maybe manslaughter would be more appropriate ?

Old 09-03-2014, 02:02 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Actually, the sentence is just. The texter/driver/killer and the idiot who kills a motorcyclist should get as much time or more.
I agree, to a point. But his actions were more justified. If anything he should get much less of a sentence. The average sentence of someone that kills someone in the commission of an actual crime is less than this.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:03 PM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Perhaps so. What worries me more is not that this man shot that woman, but that there are people who justify and support his actions. It bothers me because I have to consider this. Could I be next? I've done alot of walking at night. I have to wonder this. If they support it being done to someone else, would those persons do it to me? I have to wonder if someone might be scared and shoot.
You going to go and pound on someones door screaming and yelling at 3:30 in the morning , in a bad neighborhood ? I know I wouldn't... if I really was in danger and needed help, I probably would.. it's a change I'd have to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies